2012 Cuban signees thread Cespedes/Soler/Concepcion

southsider2k5

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I don't know if this is just me being pessimistic or are you guys delusional? This organization has spent just over $18 freakin' million dollars in the last five drafts combined. And they're all of a sudden going to shell out $40-60 million for one guy? Not happening. This organization does not believe in that.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 11, 2012 -> 06:03 PM)
Man, I don't know if this is just me being pessimistic or are you guys delusional? This organization has spent just over $18 freakin' million dollars in the last five drafts combined. And they're all of a sudden going to shell out $40-60 million for one guy? Not happening. This organization does not believe in that.

They believe in it for more proven players, not 18 year olds.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 11, 2012 -> 06:03 PM)

I just keep coming back to the fact that during that same time period, KW offered Fukodome more than $50 million.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 11, 2012 -> 06:09 PM)
On average, more than 75% of all drafted players fail to reach the majors. I can see the reason behind the Sox franchise's draft signing frugalness.

That means nothing. All that means is you better find some of the 25% that make it. Otherwise fire your entire scouting/development crew and hire me for 50 cents on the dollar.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 11, 2012 -> 06:27 PM)
No they wouldn't have. They have been one of the leading spenders in Cuba.

Ramirez and Viciedo were nowhere near as coveted as Cespedes is. I'm not saying I don't want the Sox to sign him. I'd love it. I just don't see it happening unless the organization has FINALLY decided that they need to start ponying up for premier amateur talent.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 11, 2012 -> 06:31 PM)
Ramirez and Viciedo were nowhere near as coveted as Cespedes is. I'm not saying I don't want the Sox to sign him. I'd love it. I just don't see it happening unless the organization has FINALLY decided that they need to start ponying up for premier amateur talent.

Viciedo was a very big deal. The dollars just weren't as big which is clouding your judgment.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 11, 2012 -> 06:33 PM)
Viciedo was a very big deal. The dollars just weren't as big which is clouding your judgment.

They weren't as big because Viciedo was/is not as good. Everybody knew he wouldn't stick at 3B. Everybody knew he couldn't run. The OF is even questionable at best. Cespedes is supposed to be a legitimate 5-tool talent.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 11, 2012 -> 06:35 PM)
They weren't as big because Viciedo was/is not as good. Everybody knew he wouldn't stick at 3B. Everybody knew he couldn't run. The OF is even questionable at best. Cespedes is supposed to be a legitimate 5-tool talent.

Viciedo was being compared to Cabrera and everyone was saying he had 40-plus HR potential. He was a big-time prospect because he was an outstanding hitter not because of speed or defense. He also signed as a teenager whereas Cespedes is in his prime, ready to contribute Day One (or so teams think). Viciedo was going to be a two or three year project.

Edited by maggsmaggs

The Sox would likely have to go to at least $50M to sign him one would think. It's a lot for a corner OF'er with the questions Cespedes has, but part of the justification can be that Viciedo will replace Konerko in a couple of years. I'd be leery of spending that much on him in any case.