2012 Cuban signees thread Cespedes/Soler/Concepcion

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 10:08 AM)
The money is obviously guaranteed. I just didn't understand your minor league war comment. It's not like in 4 years he's a FA again. He's Cubs property for a while. Everybody knew he wasn't ready for the majors right now.

Just think of these contracts in the context of what Evan Longoria and Ryan Braun got shortly after reaching the majors...these guys have proven nothing close to what those two did...it's just crazy IMO.

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 09:08 AM)
The money is obviously guaranteed. I just didn't understand your minor league war comment. It's not like in 4 years he's a FA again. He's Cubs property for a while. Everybody knew he wasn't ready for the majors right now.

If he takes 3 years to get to the majors, then my point is you are paying him $20 million to play in the minor leagues.

I don't fully understand the service time, but from what I do understand, it means he is arbitration eligible for the six seasons after he starts playing big league ball. If he does reach arbitration, there is no way they gave him a pay decrease right? So that means you will be paying him minimum $7 million a season when he does reach the majors, or is that wrong? He might become a great MLB player, or he may never make it to the show, either way it's a lot of money to risk.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 13, 2012 -> 04:49 PM)
Do you really think that $9 million a year for a guy who has effectively never played above A ball is exploting a market inefficiency? Especially given where the A's are in terms of who they already have in their OF and the number of players they have sold in recent years.

This is only a "New trend" in that the new trend is spending a fortune on these kind of guys from Cuba. Kenny Williams clearly pulled off the moneyball here in finding the market inefficiency, then Beane came in with big money later once the inefficiency had ironed out. And in fact, he may have paid a premium, given that the international-cap takes effect in only a few months and that has pushed this price up.

To be clear, not saying I'm sure it's going to be a great or even good move. But before anyone here calls this reckless Oakland spending, it bears noting that we're hearing they had four or five years worth of scouting done on Cespedes.

Oakland is meticulous and it will be interesting to see how a team that does everything in measured fashion handled this one.

Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal

As several tweeps point out in response to my column, #Athletics could always trade Cespedes if he becomes star. Very true, but ... #MLB

Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal

…to what end? #Athletics want to contend in new pk right away. Plus, Cespedes' $10.5M salaries in final 2 years could diminish value. #MLB

Isn't this kind of IFA (International Free Agent) like the one given to Viciedo? Or different because Viciedo was guaranteed or occupied part of the 40 man MLB roster?

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 10:27 AM)
To be clear, not saying I'm sure it's going to be a great or even good move. But before anyone here calls this reckless Oakland spending, it bears noting that we're hearing they had four or five years worth of scouting done on Cespedes.

Oakland is meticulous and it will be interesting to see how a team that does everything in measured fashion handled this one.

Honestly, I think that every one of these contracts, and hell I'll lump Darvish in there, seem like panic deals to me. These moves remind me of the White Sox against Johan Santana...they suddenly feel like they have no chance or trick and are now outgunned, so they're swinging as hard as they can at everything just to see if they happen to hit anything.

There's a group of GM's that have gotten by and built their reputations by exploiting loopholes, whether it's going over slot in the draft or the international market, and suddenly the new CBA has removed the loopholes. Now, if a GM wants to succeed, he needs to be better at GM things...scouting talent, drafting, developing, making trades, and making intelligent free agent signings (The horror). If a GM can't do that, he won't succeed...and some of these guys are acting like they're the Sox facing Santana...they think they can't succeed without the loopholes, so they're swinging as hard as humanly possible before the loopholes get closed.

The Cubs didn't have to do that with Concepcion...even though he's not "officially" contracted with, either.

Maybe it's one of those things like the Jays' "fake" interest in Darvish that is mostly meant to placate the fans who were excited about getting Cespedes and feel let down.

Who really knows at this point?

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Feb 14, 2012 -> 05:58 PM)
Glad that we didn't get Cespedes especially at that price. Cespedes could turn out to be the new Fukudome..expensive but not close to a superstar player. Ironically, we got Fuku now for a lot less $$$. A's are gambling here.

Sox fans, at least on this board, are very understanding when it comes to saving money.

I could give a s*** about Jerry saving money.

Spent some f***ing money and give me a winner!! (I don't count $$ to Rios/Dunn/Peavy; that's their own fault they are wasting those greenbacks).

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 16, 2012 -> 04:34 AM)
The offseason from hell for Sox fans continues.

A's get Cespedes.

Sox get ... Fukodome.

What an organization.

Actually, the Fukudome signing was great. Probably one of the best bargains of the entire offseason, and it's a perfect fit for what the Sox needed. With regards to Cespedes, I'll be surprised if he's more productive this year than Fukudome is.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 16, 2012 -> 04:49 AM)
Actually, the Fukudome signing was great. Probably one of the best bargains of the entire offseason, and it's a perfect fit for what the Sox needed. With regards to Cespedes, I'll be surprised if he's more productive this year than Fukudome is.

What role do you see for Fukudome?

Late inning pinch hitter on a team that doesn't figure to contend? Makes little sense.

Replacement for Pierre? That would mean he's a regular from Day One, making DeAza sit.

In my eyes we already had a backup with some pop in his bat in Lilly.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 16, 2012 -> 06:05 AM)
What role do you see for Fukudome?

Late inning pinch hitter on a team that doesn't figure to contend? Makes little sense.

Replacement for Pierre? That would mean he's a regular from Day One, making DeAza sit.

In my eyes we already had a backup with some pop in his bat in Lilly.

There's a lot of righty starters in our division. Fukudome is significantly better against RHP than Lillibridge, and he's also a very suitable defensive replacement for Viciedo. By having someone you can use defensively instead of Lillibridge, it allows you to let Lillibridge run for someone late in the game instead of being forced to use someone slow like Morel.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 16, 2012 -> 05:10 AM)
There's a lot of righty starters in our division. Fukudome is significantly better against RHP than Lillibridge, and he's also a very suitable defensive replacement for Viciedo. By having someone you can use defensively instead of Lillibridge, it allows you to let Lillibridge run for someone late in the game instead of being forced to use someone slow like Morel.

Touche.

Good stuff.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 10:46 PM)
Sox fans, at least on this board, are very understanding when it comes to saving money.

I could give a s*** about Jerry saving money.

Spent some f***ing money and give me a winner!! (I don't count $$ to Rios/Dunn/Peavy; that's their own fault they are wasting those greenbacks).

So they spend over $100 million on 3 players who were All-Stars, but that doesn't count as spending money?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 16, 2012 -> 07:09 AM)
So they spend over $100 million on 3 players who were All-Stars, but that doesn't count as spending money?

lol nope - they have to be all-stars after you sign them, like we know Cespedes will be :lolhitting

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 16, 2012 -> 07:09 AM)

Didn't you see what he said? The money spent on Rios, Dunn, and Peavy doesn't count. The Sox need to shell out another $80 million or so.