2012 Cuban signees thread Cespedes/Soler/Concepcion

southsider2k5

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 10:46 PM)
Sox fans, at least on this board, are very understanding when it comes to saving money.

I could give a s*** about Jerry saving money.

Spent some f***ing money and give me a winner!! (I don't count $$ to Rios/Dunn/Peavy; that's their own fault they are wasting those greenbacks).

If only it was that simple. We could have 30 World Series winners every year and everyone would be happy. Join me in my free spending, everyone's a winner, utopia.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 09:22 AM)
So what was the deal with the Tribune report claiming the Cubs basically had a deal with Soler? Every national media source has reported that it's a wide open race with multiple teams and the dollar amount is rising.

If I had to guess? A "leak" to the press to scare/drive teams away from Soler.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 10:46 PM)
Sox fans, at least on this board, are very understanding when it comes to saving money.

I could give a s*** about Jerry saving money.

Spent some f***ing money and give me a winner!! (I don't count $$ to Rios/Dunn/Peavy; that's their own fault they are wasting those greenbacks).

lol. This post removed any doubt in my mind that greg775 is a troll.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 10:04 AM)
If I had to guess? A "leak" to the press to scare/drive teams away from Soler.

It might have the opposite effect. It kind of put that $27.5 million number out there, and any team willing to spend that on him knows they are in the ballpark. Although, it would scare some away who think that's too high.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 10:22 AM)
It might have the opposite effect. It kind of put that $27.5 million number out there, and any team willing to spend that on him knows they are in the ballpark. Although, it would scare some away who think that's too high.

I was thinking if the story is out there that a deal is "done", other teams wouldn't bother because it won't matter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 10:24 AM)
I was thinking if the story is out there that a deal is "done", other teams wouldn't bother because it won't matter.

But since the deal can't possibly be "done" since he's not eligible to sign yet, it would mean that he could only have agreed to terms, and so if you were willing to offer more than $27.5m you'd pick up the phone right away.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)
But since the deal can't possibly be "done" since he's not eligible to sign yet, it would mean that he could only have agreed to terms, and so if you were willing to offer more than $27.5m you'd pick up the phone right away.

If the guy has a handshake deal with a team already, how much time would you want to waste trying to change his mind?

At least seven teams have interest in 19-year-old Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler, according to the most recent rumblings from around MLB. The Yankees and Phillies are said to have serious interest, and the Blue Jays, Orioles, Red Sox, Cubs and White Sox also appear to be in the mix. Soler isn't a fully fledged free agent yet, but that hasn't slowed the rumor mill down. The latest:

•GM Ruben Amaro Jr. confirmed the Phillies' interest to Bob Brookover of the Philadelphia Inquirer. "It may come down to where he wants to play and, of course, the money," (brilliant!)Amaro said.The Phillies have stayed in close contact with Soler, taking him to dinner several times, according to Brookover.

•The Indians have worked Soler out at their Dominican academy several times, Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer tweets.

•Jorge Arangure Jr. of ESPN The Magazine tweets that he would be very surprised if the Yankees sign Soler

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 18, 2012 -> 05:22 PM)
MLB Whispers: White Sox could outbid Cubs for Soler

The Chicago Tribune speculates that the White Sox could overspend to ''make a deal happen'' with Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler.

Have a good evening, fellas. I'm going out to get s***faced with the family. This should get you all going.

Do it. If you are going to overspend on something it might as well be on this before the CBA changes. Not like it makes sense to spend it on whatever's left in the free agent market.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 18, 2012 -> 05:22 PM)
MLB Whispers: White Sox could outbid Cubs for Soler

The Chicago Tribune speculates that the White Sox could overspend to ''make a deal happen'' with Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler.

Have a good evening, fellas. I'm going out to get s***faced with the family. This should get you all going.

We are just getting teased again, I had given up hope and then this.

Hypothetical question for all you service time experts:

Someone signs Soler for 4 years, $28 million. He spends 2013-2015 in the minors, then spends the whole 2016 in the majors. Does his arbitration/service clock work the same way as drafted players, even though he was a free agent? According to the service time rules, he would be ineligible for arbitration with only one year of service time. Would the team be able to offer him a typical pre-arb contract like 500-700k? Or since he made $7 million/year earlier, do they need to pay him a similar salary?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 18, 2012 -> 09:18 PM)
Hypothetical question for all you service time experts:

Someone signs Soler for 4 years, $28 million. He spends 2013-2015 in the minors, then spends the whole 2016 in the majors. Does his arbitration/service clock work the same way as drafted players, even though he was a free agent? According to the service time rules, he would be ineligible for arbitration with only one year of service time. Would the team be able to offer him a typical pre-arb contract like 500-700k? Or since he made $7 million/year earlier, do they need to pay him a similar salary?

It depends on the contract. It's plausible that a team could offer him an "out clause" after x number of years. This is what happened with Contreras and Cespedes. I don't know if a team could write the contract saying that he was out after "4 years of MLB service time", I haven't seen that one before, but I'd imagine it's possible. So, a team could definitely offer him a contract where he's guaranteed to be a free agent in 2016, or a team could probably offer him a contract with some other out clause.

With a guy as young and raw as him, it's hard to imagine a team would want to offer him an out clause. If he was not offered an out clause, then effectively, the $28 million would be a signing bonus. If he spent 3 years in the minors, then he'd still be under contract for 1 year. Then, his contract could be simply "renewed" for 2 more years prior to him becoming arbitration eligible (not sure of the exact amount, but we'll see what it is when Viciedo has it happen to him). At that point, he'd then have 3-ish arbitration years before Free Agency. This path is the Alexei/Viciedo path.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 18, 2012 -> 08:28 PM)
It depends on the contract. It's plausible that a team could offer him an "out clause" after x number of years. This is what happened with Contreras and Cespedes. I don't know if a team could write the contract saying that he was out after "4 years of MLB service time", I haven't seen that one before, but I'd imagine it's possible. So, a team could definitely offer him a contract where he's guaranteed to be a free agent in 2016, or a team could probably offer him a contract with some other out clause.

With a guy as young and raw as him, it's hard to imagine a team would want to offer him an out clause. If he was not offered an out clause, then effectively, the $28 million would be a signing bonus. If he spent 3 years in the minors, then he'd still be under contract for 1 year. Then, his contract could be simply "renewed" for 2 more years prior to him becoming arbitration eligible (not sure of the exact amount, but we'll see what it is when Viciedo has it happen to him). At that point, he'd then have 3-ish arbitration years before Free Agency. This path is the Alexei/Viciedo path.

Yeah, I guess it depends on the contract, we will see what happens with Viciedo. Some people say that having the players under team control for so long is an advantage of signing any of these Cubans. But if he is pre-arb, and he had just made the $28 million "signing bonus", I doubt he would be happy about a normal pre-arb figure of 700k or so. Then you might be paying him a high salary anyway, which takes away part of the team control advantage.