2012 Cuban signees thread Cespedes/Soler/Concepcion

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Feb 4, 2012 -> 11:56 AM)
. . . So the Cubs panicked.

Listen, I despise the Cubs and actually think Theo is somewhat overrated. His previous organization had a significant competitive advantage over the vast majority of teams in baseball (money) and used those resources to develop a strong farm system. IMO, that doesn't make him a genius, it just shows he was smart enough to take advantage of a flawed system.

Now that the system is changing, I think we'll have a better idea just how good Theo is. However, the system is currently in an in-between phase and there are still ways to take advantage of it. The Cubans represent a loophole and Theo is using his financial advantage to bring in more talent while he still can. Like I said, what should he spend the $7 million on instead? Something that helps his losing major league team this year? Ricketts is focused on a long-term plan and has already allocated a lot of cash for the draft and international signings. That cash loses it value next year once the cap is in place. Theo is smart to spend it now while he still can, even if the cost of young talent is far more expensive than it's been previously.

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 4, 2012 -> 12:28 PM)
Theo is smart to spend it now while he still can, even if the cost of young talent is far more expensive than it's been previously.

I think it's smarter to let someone else grossly overpay for middling talent whether that talent is 18 or 28. The importance of minor league talent has been extremely exaggerated the last couple of years.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 4, 2012 -> 12:56 PM)
Please elaborate.

If the White Sox focused on developing young players, Beckham, Morel, Sale and Viciedo could very well have been in AAA or AA last year and Sale and Viciedo this year.

The White Sox rush players to the MB team to contend whether right or wrong.

The Gio and Hudson trades are two other examples of placing the MLB team in front of developing talent.

The flip of the Gio and Hudosn trades would mean that Danks and Gavin would most likely not be here.

Another example here would be developing a lower draft pick (McCarthy) for a first rounder in Danks...

Gio was a sandwich pick or second rounder, right?

In the end, if we somehow ended up with Soler or Cespedes, everyone would feel much better...even though the odds would seem to be against it at the current moment, with the insane bidding wars taking place over "premium" Cuban talent.

$60m is too much for my blood.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/...or-talks-in-u-s

Cespedes awaits chance to finish a deal

February, 6, 2012

By Bruce Levine

Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes’ next step toward signing with a major league team will eventually happen on U.S. soil, as he awaits his chance for face-to-face meetings with his agents and interested teams.

The plan, according to sources with knowledge of the situation, is still to have Cespedes in a big league camp by the third week of February.

The five-tool centerfielder will be a rich man before he sees one pitch in spring training, as industry sources tell ESPNChicago.com that the bidding for the Cuban defector may go as high as six years, $60 million.

The Chicago Cubs and the Miami Marlins may be driving the price up. The speedy 26-year-old outfielder said a month ago that the Cubs appeared to be the most aggressive team pursuing his services, having taken him out to dinner a few times. And Miami team owner Jeffery Loria has told his people that signing Cespedes is a priority for the Marlins, due to the large Cuban population in the Miami area.

Many other teams, including the Chicago White Sox, are still in the mix for Cespedes, who is waiting for a visa from The Dominican Republic, where he recently became a citizen.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/02/late..._medium=twitter

As of Sunday, Cespedes still had not been unblocked by the Office of Foreign Assets Control, even though he's a free agent and can negotiate with MLB teams. Katz explained, "I think we can come to terms with no execution of contract and no playing." Katz is "reasonably confident" Cespedes will be signed in time for camp this year.

joecapMARLINS joe capozzi

Yoenis Cespedes arriving in Miami today to meet with agent. Expected to meet with #Marlins tomorrow with a ballpark tour

jaysonst Jayson Stark

Yoenis Cespedes gets visitors visa, flying to Miami this afternoon. Likely to meet with #Marlins tomorrow, sources say.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 7, 2012 -> 11:32 AM)
joecapMARLINS joe capozzi

Yoenis Cespedes arriving in Miami today to meet with agent. Expected to meet with #Marlins tomorrow with a ballpark tour

jaysonst Jayson Stark

Yoenis Cespedes gets visitors visa, flying to Miami this afternoon. Likely to meet with #Marlins tomorrow, sources say.

Great scare him away

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 7, 2012 -> 05:59 PM)
Unless Soler signs before Cespedes, he will get more than $20 million.

I'm thinking you are correct. If Cespedes gets anything near $50 million, I'm thinking Soler gets around $30 million. Considering the Sox owe Rios $38.5 million, those prices are staggering IMO.

Even if the Sox miss on both, I hope their figures are much smaller. Giving these guys all that money just gives guys like Boras more ammo.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 7, 2012 -> 11:48 AM)
Dude goes from going in destitute dumps in Cuba and the DR, to something out of Saturday night fever meets baseball...

Was just a joke. I was mainly talking about that stupid carnival style sign they have.