2012 Cuban signees thread Cespedes/Soler/Concepcion

southsider2k5

Well, there have been subtle signs.

The Paddy addition, and the loosening of the purse strings in Venezuela at least.

The Santos for Molina deal, although it's a bit counterintuitive until ones does a deeper investigation.

Picking up those two Jays prospects they invested $700,000 in for the cost savings on Frasor.

The Quentin/Castro deal, as well.

Mustain, even.

I don't think there's a more than 3-5% chance they get Cespedes. Soler, because a lot of the teams spending money are in playoff contention (and looking for an immediate payoff in 2012), could fall to those 2nd and 3rd tier teams that are looking more long-term but would definitely hesitate to spend that kind of money on Soler. The Reds, for example, threw a ton of money at Aroldis Chapman. Looking at it today, would they consider that $30 million well spent?

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 12, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)
Significantly.

And it helps the Sox for both.

Obviously the bidding isn't over yet but the offer for Cespedes sounds encouraging. I was hoping he would end up somewhere in the 40s (even $49.5M) just to show that the price came down from the original $50+M. If the rumor of the much lower Marlins offer is true, I would imagine that increases the chances that the Sox can play ball in a Soler bidding war.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 12, 2012 -> 12:56 PM)
They won't, so it doesn't matter.

You are probably right, I was just speaking hypothetically. I can see another team who is contending this year bidding high on him. However, I can see us going strong for this Soler kid. He can be an intruiging project at a much lower cost.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 12, 2012 -> 04:57 PM)
Ugh. Damn them and their competent front office.

They might end up with all three of Concepcion, Soler, and Cespedes. Wouldn't surprise me. They've signed more Cubans than the Sox in recent years too.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Feb 12, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)
Kevin Goldstein @Kevin_Goldstein Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Rumors out of the DR today that the Cubs are making a very very big play for Jorge Soler.

Is he even a free agent yet? I suppose the Cubs still could talk to him and probably throw some Cespedas money at him if they lose out on him.

•Orioles executive director of international recruiting Fred Ferreira will watch Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler in the Dominican Republic when he travels to watch Yoenis Cespedes play, Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com reports.

This was written on the 6th or 7th of FEB.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Feb 12, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)
Kevin Goldstein @Kevin_Goldstein Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Rumors out of the DR today that the Cubs are making a very very big play for Jorge Soler.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,3899310.story

Soler, who has not officially been declared a free agent, may have met with Cubs executives while they were visiting their new academy earlier this month. One reported had the Cubs willing to pay $27.5 million for an unknown number of years. They paid Conception $7 million, believed to be for three years.

The Eeyore stuff in this thread, stating that this would somehow be against what the Sox do, is cracking me up. How many teams in baseball can point to players they have acquired from Cuba in recent years that match up to the value of Ramirez and Viciedo?

The Sox likely won't get Cespedes because the money numbers will probably get stupid. But the Sox have been among the most successful teams (if not th most successful) in recent years with acquiring useful Cuban talent. Hell, some of the journalists out there have even said they see the Sox in on Cespedes and Soler NOT because they heard any info, but because they just know they will be due to their success in Cuba.

Nothing official yet but it looks like Cespedes to Miami and Soler to the Cubs. Am I the only one who thinks the Marlins should be investigated? Where the F did they get all this money? They also gave Pujols the highest offer but he turned them down because they wouldn't give him a NTC and they'd have probably shipped him out in a few years anyway. Something stinks down there.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Feb 13, 2012 -> 10:15 AM)
Nothing official yet but it looks like Cespedes to Miami and Soler to the Cubs. Am I the only one who thinks the Marlins should be investigated? Where the F did they get all this money? They also gave Pujols the highest offer but he turned them down because they wouldn't give him a NTC and they'd have probably shipped him out in a few years anyway. Something stinks down there.

I believe the franchise is being set up to fail...whether that's on purpose or not I couldn't say. They're going more "all in" than the Sox did in 2011, and they are spending a ton of money with grotesquely backloaded contracts. If they flounder in the next couple years, we'll probably see the fire sale of fire sales, and they will end up eating a ton of money when they trade away some players.

But, as long as Ozzie visits the local restaurants and gets patrons to smile and wave, it'll be all good.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 13, 2012 -> 02:40 PM)
$75 million put into those 3 maybe?

That is a pile of money. Start spending like that on basically minor league players is not a prudent thing when you are trying to set some kind industry standard for bonuses and salaries. With the poteintial influx on Latin and Caribbean players what does that mean for USA college draftees? Where is all this dough coming from? Might portend more financial difficulties for some teams trying to keep up and compete plus the richer get richer and the poorer slip further down

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Feb 13, 2012 -> 11:15 AM)

The Marlins have been hoarding money for years now. Routinely they are one of the most profitable teams in baseball due to their lack of spending. Their opening day payroll has been under $22M three times since 2000. If you're going to build a brand new stadium, it makes sense to finally put that money to use.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Feb 13, 2012 -> 10:51 AM)
I believe the franchise is being set up to fail...whether that's on purpose or not I couldn't say. They're going more "all in" than the Sox did in 2011, and they are spending a ton of money with grotesquely backloaded contracts. If they flounder in the next couple years, we'll probably see the fire sale of fire sales, and they will end up eating a ton of money when they trade away some players.

But, as long as Ozzie visits the local restaurants and gets patrons to smile and wave, it'll be all good.

They are really betting the farm on a small possibility of success. If they don't win big very quickly, they could kill baseball in Miami for good.