2012 Cuban signees thread Cespedes/Soler/Concepcion

southsider2k5

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 04:32 PM)
During the KW years, the Sox have won bidding on two players: Ramirez and Viciedo. Seems to me those have both worked out pretty well so far. It is always a gamble, but your fear seems to have no roots in reality.

I guess my point is this guy has been hyped a lot before the bidding started. If he were that great, then the Phillies and Yankees would be forking over the cash. It sounds as if the Yankees don't have much interest, or won't bid a lot for him.

Maybe this guy is very good, and he wants to come to the Sox just because of Alexei and Viciedo. We'll see.

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We outbid 10-12 teams for Viciedo, we had the advantage of the relationships already built with Ramirez and Contreras at that time to use to our advantage.

This guy's going to be getting $45-65 million, blowing away the Aroldis Chapman money.

I would be a BIT surprised, but not entirely shocked, to see it happen.

At this point, dumping Quentin's salary and freeing playing time for Viciedo is more important than what we get back in return via trade. With Cespedes and Viciedo for the corner OF spots, Rios in CF and DeAza/Lillibridge as back-ups, that would give the team a lot of talent and depth.

And Cespedes would be in AA to start out with, anyway.

Possibly, Konerko could be dealt to free up 1B for Viciedo, with Cespedes/Rios/DeAza/Lilli the outfield. (Albeit not very likely as a scenario.) Theoretically, Viciedo could take all the DUNN DH ab's against LHP and split the rest of his AB's with DeAza in the event of a Cespedes acquisition, but any scenario where Viciedo's not in the everyday line-up isn't ideal for the future.

Of course, there's a very good possibility Lillibridge could be needed at 2B if Beckham continues to flop. He also provides insurance/depth (along with Martinez and Escobar) at SS and 3B.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 08:30 PM)
I guess my point is this guy has been hyped a lot before the bidding started. If he were that great, then the Phillies and Yankees would be forking over the cash. It sounds as if the Yankees don't have much interest, or won't bid a lot for him.

Maybe this guy is very good, and he wants to come to the Sox just because of Alexei and Viciedo. We'll see.

They already have Gardner, Granderson and Swisher for their OF.

Pitching is a more critical need, both starting and bullpen.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 09:51 PM)
We outbid 10-12 teams for Viciedo, we had the advantage of the relationships already built with Ramirez and Contreras at that time to use to our advantage.

This guy's going to be getting $45-65 million, blowing away the Aroldis Chapman money.I would be a BIT surprised, but not entirely shocked, to see it happen.

At this point, dumping Quentin's salary and freeing playing time for Viciedo is more important than what we get back in return via trade. With Cespedes and Viciedo for the corner OF spots, Rios in CF and DeAza/Lillibridge as back-ups, that would give the team a lot of talent and depth.

And Cespedes would be in AA to start out with, anyway.

Possibly, Konerko could be dealt to free up 1B for Viciedo, with Cespedes/Rios/DeAza/Lilli the outfield. (Albeit not very likely as a scenario.) Theoretically, Viciedo could take all the DUNN DH ab's against LHP and split the rest of his AB's with DeAza in the event of a Cespedes acquisition, but any scenario where Viciedo's not in the everyday line-up isn't ideal for the future.

Of course, there's a very good possibility Lillibridge could be needed at 2B if Beckham continues to flop. He also provides insurance/depth (along with Martinez and Escobar) at SS and 3B.

I disagree with that...and if he does, he won't be playing here...

My guess is if we do make an offer it would be 1/3 that amount....

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 09:18 PM)
I'll guess $25-40 million, we'll split the difference and say $32.5 million, a notch above Chapman's deal.

I confess that I don't know much about this guy, other than seeing a few youtube videos...but it's not going to look good to fans if we let Mark walk and then pay Cespedes all his money :unsure:

Regardless of whether it was the correct thing to do...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 08:53 PM)
They already have Gardner, Granderson and Swisher for their OF.

Pitching is a more critical need, both starting and bullpen.

he'd go to aa/aaa if the yankees picked him up, NYY cant wait til swishers contract is up

QUOTE (Real @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 11:21 PM)
he'd go to aa/aaa if the yankees picked him up, NYY cant wait til swishers contract is up

Why did they pick up his $10.25 million option for 2012 if they wanted to get rid of him?

Lots of Sox fans argue Quentin is too expensive to us now at $6.5-8.0 million.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 23, 2011 -> 02:01 AM)
Why did they pick up his $10.25 million option for 2012 if they wanted to get rid of him?

Lots of Sox fans argue Quentin is too expensive to us now at $6.5-8.0 million.

I don't have an answer for why they picked up his option, but I have quite a few friends who are Yanks fans, and really who doesn't have friends who are Yanks fans.. and they've been telling me for the last TWO years that they can't wait until his contract is up. that option pickup is odd, but it's probably because they didn't have an immediate replacement. the option was picked up before cespedes had his tryouts right?

QUOTE (Real @ Dec 23, 2011 -> 03:09 AM)
I don't have an answer for why they picked up his option, but I have quite a few friends who are Yanks fans, and really who doesn't have friends who are Yanks fans.. and they've been telling me for the last TWO years that they can't wait until his contract is up. that option pickup is odd, but it's probably because they didn't have an immediate replacement. the option was picked up before cespedes had his tryouts right?

They shouldn't effect each other, since Swisher could have been replaced by a Cuddyer or Kubel had they chosen to go in that direction.

The Yankees haven't spent at all this winter, and Cespedes has always been projected as needing at least a half season or more in the minors, so definitely a longer term, not necessarily "win now" move.

You can win with Swisher in 2012 and STILL have Cespedes (injury/non-performance insurance) for late 2012 and beyond.

Edited by caulfield12

Logically the Sox should be interested in Cespedes since they have Ramirez and Viciedo. However, the guy is 26 yet expected to be in AA/AAA with a $25M + contract ? As good as he may be taking a flyer on a guy his age with that much money doesn't appear to be in the Sox best interest. He's way too over hyped now for the Sox to be involved in a bidding war. Viciedo was 19 and the Sox didn't have to spend even close to what Cespedes is expected to get.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 09:22 PM)
I confess that I don't know much about this guy, other than seeing a few youtube videos...but it's not going to look good to fans if we let Mark walk and then pay Cespedes all his money :unsure:

Regardless of whether it was the correct thing to do...

I would argue that the money not spent by not signing Mark was spent by signing Danks. But I see your point, as some fans may think that. Signing Cespedes (if it even happens) would be a move strictly for the future. If he is signed, it makes the possibility of Quentin being traded even more of a probability.

For those who seem to feel that Quentin is of little value, and was a "one hit wonder" in 2008.

It might be revealing to know that, even if you throw out 2008, his numbers over the last 3 seasons are still very impressive:

If you combine all of his stats over the years 2009, 2010 and 2011, and divide by 160 games per season, he has produced at the following rate:

31 doubles, 32 homers and 100 RBI's per 160 games.

I suspect that there are plenty of teams that could use that kind of production.

Now, can he stay healthy? That is a question that every GM would have to address. I've personally always worried more about all of those "Hit By Pitch" numbers.

Except for the Plantar Faciatis, his injuries have pretty much been a result of hard play, and do not suggest that he is 'fragile'.

Of course, his contract status is another thing.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 23, 2011 -> 09:07 AM)
For those who seem to feel that Quentin is of little value, and was a "one hit wonder" in 2008.

It might be revealing to know that, even if you throw out 2008, his numbers over the last 3 seasons are still very impressive:

If you combine all of his stats over the years 2009, 2010 and 2011, and divide by 160 games per season, he has produced at the following rate:

I suspect that there are plenty of teams that could use that kind of production.

Now, can he stay healthy? That is a question that every GM would have to address. I've personally always worried more about all of those "Hit By Pitch" numbers.

Except for the Plantar Faciatis, his injuries have pretty much been a result of hard play, and do not suggest that he is 'fragile'.

But even aside from the injuries, you've left out the numbers where he really hurt the team...over that stretch, he's hit .245 and put up a .336 OBP. His OPS over that 3 year period is .815. While that's decent for a corner OF, it's not spectacular, and it's really not tolerable with the kind of defense he's played.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 23, 2011 -> 08:07 AM)

How someone can describe Quentin as anything but fragile is beyond me.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7370406/...n-republic-week

Cuban sensation Yoennis Cespedes is preparing to take another large step towards hitting Major League Baseball’s free agent market. According to Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes, Cespedes “could be granted residency in the Dominican Republic” as early as this week. Cespedes is required to be granted residency before MLB will declare him a free agent. Rojas hears that the Red Sox, Tigers, Yankees, Phillies, Cubs, Orioles and Rangers are the clubs “most interested” in Cespedes.

Edgar Mercedes, Cespedes’s current representative in the DR, told Rojas that the 26-year-old has already been approved for temporary residence in the Dominican Republic. This has allowed Cespedes to conduct workouts for major league teams while waiting to hit the free agent market.

But, before he can do so, Cespedes needs to receive a license from the Office of Foreign Affairs Control. Such a license would, in the words of Rojas, allow Cespedes to become “unlocked” and thus eligible to sign with a major league team.

While the unlocking could “take two weeks”, Mercedes says by January Cespedes will be “authorized to sign”. Mercedes and the rest of Cespedes’s representation have said all along that they expect the Cuban native to be with a major league team by spring training.

Cespedes, listed as a center fielder, has been one of Major League Baseballs’ centers of attention this offseason. Said to be built like a running back, Cespedes has been praised for his power and athleticism. While some believe he may eventually have to move to a corner outfield spot, analysts have also said that Cespedes has 30-30 potential.

http://calltothepen.com/2011/12/23/yoennis...gers-favorites/

Earlier this week we learned that Cuban-defector Yoennis Cespedes is close to being granted residency in the Dominican Republic. While this still puts him a few weeks away from hitting the open market, Cespedes’ representation believes the 26-year-old will become a free agent sometime in January. Cespedes has already created quite a buzz this offseason, and the rumors only figure to increase as he approaches free agency. While more major league clubs have expressed interest in Cespedes than not, it appears that the Marlins, Tigers and White Sox could be the early favorites to land the slugger.

The field of suitors for Cespedes is hardly narrowing, as almost every major league team has checked in on Yoennis at some point this offseason. Still, several clubs appear to be more heavily tied to Cespedes than others.

The Miami Marlins have been considered a likely landing spot for Cespedes from the start. Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com hears from several sources that the Marlins are the early favorites to sign Cespedes. While the Marlins have shown a willingness to spend this offseason, Miami is also home to a strong Cuban culture which could make the adjustment to the States easier for Cespedes.

Another team that Knobler said is expected to make a “strong” push for Cespedes is the Chicago White Sox. Knobler notes that the White Sox have had recent success with Cuban players such as Alexei Ramirez and Dayan Viciedo and could look to add Cespedes to their list. While the White Sox have been rumored to be in rebuilding mode this offseason, they did just extend starting pitcher John Danks.

Another team that has been frequently tied to Cespedes this offseason is the Detroit Tigers. General manager Dave Dombrowski and his staff made the trip to the DR to watch Cespedes, and many analysts don’t believe this should be taken lightly. The Tigers are known to covet Cespedes, and Detroit has shown a willingness to expand its budget for what they consider to be the right player.

Beyond the Marlins, White Sox and Tigers, the Red Sox, Yankees, Phillies, Cubs, Orioles and Rangers have all shown interest in the slugging center fielder.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Dec 23, 2011 -> 02:10 PM)
Maybe it is just the mid-season blues, but I'm starting to really want this guy......

Even if he doesn't start at the big league level for whatever reason, signing him clearly makes our organization stronger, given the dearth of talent we have on its way up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 23, 2011 -> 01:37 PM)
Even if he doesn't start at the big league level for whatever reason, signing him clearly makes our organization stronger, given the dearth of talent we have on its way up.

However, I will admit I said the same thing about Fukodome about 4 years ago and I'm so glad I was disappointed the Cubs signed him.