2012 Cuban signees thread Cespedes/Soler/Concepcion

southsider2k5

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 23, 2011 -> 11:20 PM)
Yup, I expect them to step it up as well.

It IS baseball thou - anything can happen.

Dunn could hit 40 bomb - or 12... either wouldn't surprise me.

Rios could be totally worthless or put up a 4 WAR - either wouldn't surprise me.

Humber could throw to a ~1 WHIP or could put up a 1.5 - either wouldn't surprise me.

It's gonna be an interesting 2012 - but I'm not expecting us to beat Detroit this year.

The other thing that really threw a lot of observers for a loop is how well Peralta played, both offensively and even defensively.

Seemed his career was winding down in a backwards direction with the Indians.

Boesch and Jackson weren't nearly as good as 2010, Ordonez and C. Guillen were non-factors, and they still were pretty darned impressive. Obviously, they had some offensive struggles from time to time, as can be expected with any club.

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 24, 2011 -> 12:14 AM)
Ugh. Do people really think this is at all realistic?

No doubt. Apparently, in 2011, the most efficient way to restock the farm is to keep your good or "better" players and trade your bad ones. Only way to do business.

lol. Just reread what you quoted. Of course. "If you want our defensively-challenged, injury-prone OF who we only have under control for one more year...you must take one of the most overpaid, perpetually underachieving players in baseball with him. The ball is in your court. We don't have to do anything."

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 24, 2011 -> 01:04 AM)
No doubt. Apparently, in 2011, the most efficient way to restock the farm is to keep your good or "better" players and trade your bad ones. Only way to do business.

lol. Just reread what you quoted. Of course. "If you want our defensively-challenged, injury-prone OF who we only have under control for one more year...you must take one of the most overpaid, perpetually underachieving players in baseball with him. The ball is in your court. We don't have to do anything."

Or you can have John Danks, Alexei Ramirez, Matt Thornton AND a serving of Rios on the side, to go with the division crown for whatever respective league you're playing in.

So why not add about $150-175 million to your team payroll in future salary commitments, it's Christmastime, right?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 23, 2011 -> 06:15 PM)
And we now have 5 starting pitchers under team control for 5 years.

The middle of the rotation has been shored up this offseason, I'd still like them to deal basically whatever it took for one more potential top-of-the-rotation starter.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 24, 2011 -> 12:24 PM)
The middle of the rotation has been shored up this offseason, I'd still like them to deal basically whatever it took for one more potential top-of-the-rotation starter.

Teams do not give up potential top-of-the-rotation starters in trades very willingly.

just watch his scouting videos... kid is a BEAST.

500 foot home runs

Vertical jump better than Derrick Rose

Athletic as hell

Cannon for an arm

Hits a HR to Left, then Center, then Right back to back to back.

I officially want him.

Here's One

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 24, 2011 -> 02:48 PM)
just watch his scouting videos... kid is a BEAST.

500 foot home runs

Vertical jump better than Derrick Rose

Athletic as hell

Cannon for an arm

Hits a HR to Left, then Center, then Right back to back to back.

I officially want him.

Here's One

:pray

I'm no scout, but I'd put the kid on the 25-man roster.

I saw that he hit a couple of bombs lefty just to show off...he's not a switch-hitter is he? That was just for demonstration purposes?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 24, 2011 -> 01:16 PM)
My contention is Viciedo or Ramirez might be able to bring the Sox that return.

No one would give that up for Viciedo until he has a full, successful season at the MLB level. The sox have messed around with him and moved him around too much.

Alexei might..but then you have to convince another team to be willing to pay the price for a SS, and right now I don't see the team that's going to do so (braves included).

If the Braves were willing to part with a Teheran based package for Alexei, everyone here would jump at it. But we can't make them do that, and neither can Kenny...so insisting that it shoudl happen is going to annoy people.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 24, 2011 -> 03:25 PM)
No one would give that up for Viciedo until he has a full, successful season at the MLB level. The sox have messed around with him and moved him around too much.

I just don't even understand why we'd do that. Are we trying to be the all-pitching, no-hitting Sox of the last five -- largely mediocre -- years? A not yet 23 year-old with the talent of Viciedo is exactly the type of player the organization doesn't have enough of.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 24, 2011 -> 12:25 PM)

Alexei might..but then you have to convince another team to be willing to pay the price for a SS, and right now I don't see the team that's going to do so (braves included).

If the Braves were willing to part with a Teheran based package for Alexei, everyone here would jump at it. But we can't make them do that, and neither can Kenny...so insisting that it shoudl happen is going to annoy people.

So the Sox don't have what it takes to deal for a potential top-of-the-rotation starter, I can accept that. Viciedo's ceiling mustn't be Vlad Guerrero then.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Dec 24, 2011 -> 12:29 PM)
I just don't even understand why we'd do that. Are we trying to be the all-pitching, no-hitting Sox of the last five -- largely mediocre -- years? A not yet 23 year-old with the talent of Viciedo is exactly the type of player the organization doesn't have enough of.

Don't kid yourself the rotation hasn't been good enough either. Rios and Dunn are going nowhere and there is at least some hope for Beckham.