k0na breaks story on Danks 5 years/$65mil ext...Heyman confirms

DirtySox

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 06:38 PM)
Don't you guys think it's a little bit suspicious that Danks is settling for only like $13 million per when he could get $15 million per next off-season?

He could, then again he might not. There are some teams that are spending now that might not be spending next year. Anyway you slice it, if he signs this contract, unless Jon Corzine is managing his money, he should be fine in the cash department for the rest of his life.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 06:38 PM)
Don't you guys think it's a little bit suspicious that Danks is settling for only like $13 million per when he could get $15 million per next off-season?

Maybe the thought of getting sent somewhere like Baltimore or Toronto made the extension sound better.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 06:38 PM)
Has Danks ever even been on the DL other than the oblique injury this year?

I don't worry about injury at all with him. I think he realizes he had a down year, that the Yankees/Red Sox/Angels/Rangers are going to be pretty spent out for the next few years, and would like to stay with the Sox. Yes, he might lose a few million signing a deal like this, but then he'll avoid talking to the Nationals and the Marlins and just stay where he wants to be.

I wouldn't be shocked if Mark's experience didn't weigh on Johnny a little bit here.

He had that weird circulatory thing where he couldnt feel the tips of his fingers. I think he went on the DL for that

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 07:38 PM)

It could be 65going guaranteed. So the 5thoffice year could be a 18m option with a 3m buyout. Making it 4a yrs 62m, which is 15.5 per year. Which is 7mto more in 2012the than what he'd make in arbitration.

Can we recap which trades he has broken before?

The ones I remember are the Cabrera/Garland trade, the first Peavy trade that Peavy rejected, and the Jackson/Frasor trade. He mentioned each on Twitter and/or whitesox.com message board several hours before anybody else even had a whiff of those deals.

Well, the interesting thing here will be the NTC and what teams are on the list...and for how long we're locked into keeping him in Chicago.

Gut instinct says that JR and KW don't want Danks around at Buehrle money long-term, and that he would end up getting traded ala Santos...and that this is only leverage to use in our favor.

Now the the dollar signs are clearer...what is he actually worth to other teams at that $65 million mark? Danks is viewed by most teams as a #3 and possibly a #2 in the NL, but does that get you a Latos deal or anything resembling Olivo/J. Reed/Morse from another team?

We keep making comparisons with Latos and Gio, guess we'll find out sooner rather than later what he's actually worth to other teams.

My preference would still be to deal him for pitching depth (better versions of Molina/Stewart), a true leadoff hitter who plays CF (High A/AA) who's a year or two away that could replace Rios (as early as we can possibly dump him)...and assuming that player isn't Mitchell or Walker....and another high impact bat (1B/DH/LF) in the lower minors to eventually replace Konerko.

Edited by caulfield12

Crazy KENNY strikes again.

Joe Cowley might want to rethink that last article he wrote...makes him look like a total ass, if he didn't already.

Seems 2011 cost Danks about $10 million...over the last couple of years, we all speculated 5 years and $75 million.

It also makes Stewart to the pen 10X more likely...unless we now turn around and trade Gavin Floyd.

So who do we trade next? Floyd? Crain, Frasor or Thornton? Quentin?

Marty's still pulling for Alexei Ramirez...one would imagine.

Danks

Floyd*

Peavy

Sale

Humber

Reed

Thornton*

Crain

Frasor

Ohman

Santiago/Stewart/Axelrod/Leesman

It also means that instead of Daniel Hudson, KW traded for the last pitcher in our bullpen...but you would have to bet that KW would want to utilize Stewart as a reliever and save money by dealing either Frasor or Crain.

The Frasor re-signing still doesn't make much sense...unless he was planning to deal Crain (knowing he could get something useful back for him, compared to Frasor), but not wanting to rely 100% on Reed/Stewart/Ohman/rookie-waiver wire in the bullpen.

Edited by caulfield12

I really think the thread title should be changed to "k0na breaks story on Danks ext...heyman confirms"

Guy has been money and deserves some credit on here...I'm impressed at an actual insider who has the cajones to repeatedly post this stuff and dare kw to find out who this guy is.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 08:01 PM)
My question is how is he able to publicly disclose the information without getting his source in trouble?

I think he has been overlooked for a while and because he isnt a member of the media he isnt scrutinized. That could change rather quickly now that we are trumpeting his accomplishments and Heyman is talking about him breaking the news

QUOTE (heirdog @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 08:02 PM)
I really think the thread title should be changed to "k0na breaks story on Danks ext...heyman confirms"

Guy has been money and deserves some credit on here...I'm impressed at an actual insider who has the cajones to repeatedly post this stuff and dare kw to find out who this guy is.

I like this idea

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 08:04 PM)
I think he has been overlooked for a while and because he isnt a member of the media he isnt scrutinized. That could change rather quickly now that we are trumpeting his accomplishments and Heyman is talking about him breaking the news

Rosenthal gave similar credit for the EJax trade.