k0na breaks story on Danks 5 years/$65mil ext...Heyman confirms

DirtySox

That is plenty young in baseball terms (just entering the beginning of prime years), not boxing. ;) And I feel insulted you consider 27 "old" sir. <_<

1/28/74, the shared birthday of Jermaine Dye and Magglio Ordonez, will always be the cutoff in my book. Anybody younger than them, even if just by a week, well never be considered "old".

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 12:38 AM)
Right there in the article, there's a big discrepancy between saying one year/two years left on his contract.

Seems the author was misinformed. There wasn't a strong comparison to Latos at that time, clearly.

As far as comparing to Billingsley and Wandy Rodriguez goes, whatever...especially in the case of Rodriguez. There was a lot of talk the Astros would simply non-tender him and let him walk away for nothing last year.

At the worst, it's a "fair" contract. At best, it's a very very good one for a pitcher just approaching the prime of his career, and a lefty to boot. Having two lefties (along with Sale) in the rotation gives it a good balance.

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2011/12/21/2654092...x?sct=mlb_t2_a3

Those offers might not have been as strong for Danks — he’s older and only under team control for two seasons one season

Second, comparing $30 million for 3 years and $65 million for 5 years, and saying he's NOT worth $30 million more than those guys is horrible math.

He should be asking is Danks worth $3 million more per season.

He also neglects to mention the fact that Danks was going to be getting paid $8-10 million after arbitration anyway heading into this season.

He is also neglecting how much pitchers have gone for this off season. Look no further than Mark Buehrle.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 07:54 AM)
Signing Danks strengthens both the rotation and bullpen. It's likely one of Stewart, Axelrod or Molina can be in the sox bullpen, where they could be more effective than in the rotation. Molina will prob. be a SP in the minors. Yet could slide into the pen if the sox need him.

I don't see Gavin around. The sox should get a decent return for him that allows the sox to compete next year but also builds for the future.

Yes, let's put another long-term-starter in the bullpen. See how many more pitchers we can set up where they hit a 120 inning limit when they move to being a starter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 07:38 AM)
27 is prime age for baseball athletes.

yeah, when i think of a young player, i dont think 'player in their prime'

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 07:31 AM)
That is plenty young in baseball terms (just entering the beginning of prime years), not boxing. ;) And I feel insulted you consider 27 "old" sir. <_>

I'm 31.

also, the prime years of a pro boxer are nearly identical to that of an MLB player (~25-26 in boxing), but that's another subject

Edited by Real

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 08:52 AM)
Who says Axelrod and Stewart are long-term-starters?

Stewart...I'll be real angry if they don't at least try him as a starter for another full year in the minors considering he wasn't bad at it after being converted from a reliever 2 years ago by Torotno. Putting him in the pen even temporarily undoes everything the blue jays tried to do with him. And as a sinkerballer, he at least needs to be given a shot to start, that's where he'd be the most useful.

Axelrod I don't know where he belongs, I'd be less angry about him being put in the pen, but I still am not going to view him as anything other than a fringe major leaguer until he proves me wrong.

Molina being put in the pen would absolutely enrage me. Dude was just converted to being a pitcher from being a position player...yeah, it's not like he could benefit from innings or anything.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 08:09 AM)
I suppose we won't know until the details are released, but Danks' extension begins with the 2012 season? Or is the five years after that?

He did not have a contract for 2012 yet, so it would almost have to start with next season and span 2012 to 2016.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 09:24 AM)
Was 2012 an arb year for him? I wasn't sure it was an option year or an arb year.

Yes, it was an arbitration year. Had the sox not gotten him inked to a 5 year deal, they still had to go through the arb-process and get him locked up to a 1 year deal

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 08:24 AM)
Was 2012 an arb year for him? I wasn't sure it was an option year or an arb year.

It was his last arb year. We took 4 free agent years off of the books with him. This is the first multi-year deal for John Danks, so he has never had an option year from a contract standpoint.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 06:54 AM)
Signing Danks strengthens both the rotation and bullpen. It's likely one of Stewart, Axelrod or Molina can be in the sox bullpen, where they could be more effective than in the rotation. Molina will prob. be a SP in the minors. Yet could slide into the pen if the sox need him.

I don't see Gavin around. The sox should get a decent return for him that allows the sox to compete next year but also builds for the future.

Molina will be nowhere near the bullpen. They did not acquire him to be a reliever, they seem him as a mid-rotation or better starter. Zero chance he is in the pen, unless he fails at starting for multiple years.

Stewart though, does seem to profile better as a reliever, so I agree there.

Axelrod, I am probably in the minority, but I actually believe he can be a solid major league starter. Probably no better than a 3/4 if that, but still, that has a LOT more value than a middle reliever. So I'd rather he be at the head of the rotation in Charlotte, ready to jump in as a starter if needed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 07:37 AM)
Yes, let's put another long-term-starter in the bullpen. See how many more pitchers we can set up where they hit a 120 inning limit when they move to being a starter.

It's not uncommon to have a young pitcher start off in the bullpen to get a feel for how to get MLB hitters out and work with the MLB pitching coach for a year then move to the rotation the next year.

There's no problem with it if you don't try to ove him into the starting role the same year. If he has an off season to prepare for being a starter he'll be fine.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 06:33 AM)
I don't get why everyone thinks this extension is probably the result of KW not liking the offers he was getting for Danks. Why is it so hard to believe that KW wanted to extend Danks this whole time but Danks had simply expresses no interest until now? If I had to guess, the trade talks got to Danks and he decided he was happy here. Either his agent went to KW or KW came to him and told he was close to dealing him if he wouldn't agree to extension.

Extending Danks has always made the most sense for this club regardless of the direction we are heading. He's a young, quality left-hander who can be the anchor of a young rotation. He's definitely no ace but he still has the potential to be a damn good #2 starter. We now have one of our top of the rotation spots filled for the next five years, with a lefty no less. That makes the rebuilding effort that much easier. If you believe in Sale, then we only have three spots to fill long-term. Between Humber, our existing minor league talent, and any prospects we bring in by trading Floyd, Quentin, and Thornton, I think that's very doable. However, in two years if we're still struggling to fill those spots, we now have a 29 left-handed starter with three years left on his deal that we can use to get a ton of young talent, much more than than we would have gotten now. Either way, this deal seems like a win-win for the Sox.

Great post. I agree entirely. It always made sense to lock Danks up. The drama escalated because for whatever reason Danks got to within one year of complete freedom without being locked-in. At that point, KW had no alternative to explore the trade market (woeful, I'm sure because of the combo of one year of control and, in my opinion, an over-valuation of prospects industry wide in an industry where most prospects fail), but still wanted Danks back. On Danks's side, he clearly likes it here, clearly likes Coop (take that JCowardly), and was happy to sign an excellent yet market-fair contract giving him security for life for throwing a ball with a tool that could fall off the next time he throws said ball. Having him now helps a lot no matter whether the real internal mindset is "All In Part Deux," reloading, retooling, or modified/specialized reloading/retooling.

I'm eager to see if we learn anything at all about the no-trade aspects of this contract. Given the recent Santos situation and Danks's relationship with this organization, the no-trade provisions had to be a focal point of the discussions. Unless this is a carefully orchestrated plan by the Sox and Danks camp to make Danks more tradeable by now having him locked in for five (and why would Danks do that NOW, other than security against getting hurt THIS YEAR), I'd have to imagine that Danks has very strong no-trade language protecting him for the first few years of the deal, but the Sox then have increasing ability to deal him away towards the end of the deal.

No matter -- while not a true ace, John Danks is absolutely that valuable lefty starter who helps anchor an entire pitching staff. I'm very glad we have him back.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 09:56 AM)
It's not uncommon to have a young pitcher start off in the bullpen to get a feel for how to get MLB hitters out and work with the MLB pitching coach for a year then move to the rotation the next year.

There's no problem with it if you don't try to ove him into the starting role the same year. If he has an off season to prepare for being a starter he'll be fine.

It's not uncommon, but that also doesn't mean it's smart.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 08:56 AM)

For Sale, it made sense. He was being groomed pretty much exclusively at the major league level, and his arm wasn't tuned to 200 innings yet anyway, so it made sense. Molina is trying to build up innings (being a transitioned position player), has been a starter for a couple years, and isn't being jumped early. The cases are just not that similar, and I'd rather Molina was getting starter innings in the minors learning how to pitch.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 08:59 AM)
It's not uncommon, but that also doesn't mean it's smart.

I disagree. I think it's a good way to build confidence and learn how to pitch to MLB hitters without getting "thrown to the wolves." You can pick and choose the situations to help them learn.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 08:59 AM)
For Sale, it made sense. He was being groomed pretty much exclusively at the major league level, and his arm wasn't tuned to 200 innings yet anyway, so it made sense. Molina is trying to build up innings (being a transitioned position player), has been a starter for a couple years, and isn't being jumped early. The cases are just not that similar, and I'd rather Molina was getting starter innings in the minors learning how to pitch.

I'm not saying it's right for all pitchers. It's that it can be a very useful straegy and should not be dismissed out of hand. Molina has been a pitcher for 4 years, I think. His transition is over. It's now about learning to pitch effectively and for some it's at the MLB level. I'm not aying it's right for him because I don't know him. It's more about the mental approach than physical.

The Keith Law hate has jumped the shark at this point. He said pretty much exactly what every poster on here was saying yesterday, but as soon as he says it he's a hater who just hates the white sox so much and he's out to get us!!!!