k0na breaks story on Danks 5 years/$65mil ext...Heyman confirms

DirtySox

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 02:20 PM)
"Keeping the same band together except dropping Mark and Sergio" is not the kind of rebuilding I'd be happy with.

Im sure they wont be the only ones we purge. Some people on here have no idea what a full rebuild is like(we arent in one and I never want to be).

Edited by Baron

This is great news if true. Do you guys really think rebuilding hinges on a Danks trade? The Sox were/are plain and simple NOT going to get any value in return for a rental of Danks (coming off a down year) in a market crowded with Gio, Jurrjens, Garza, Davis/Neimann, etc. Any return for a lame duck Danks would not be something to hang your hat on rebuilding a farm system.

Bottom line: Danks in the Sox rotation for 5 more years > Some middling prospect.

As is right now, The Sox are probably the 8th best team in the AL.. I sure hope KW sticks with the game plan of rebuilding the Sox.

Where did the Cardinals rank before the season last year?

I know some people thought last year's Sox team was a top 5 MLB team coming into the season. As long as we dont totally gut the roster we've got a pretty good chance in our division.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 03:30 PM)

They went into last season with the best player in baseball at 1b and a couple of the best pitchers (although 1 got hurt in ST). They looked like a legit title contender until Wainright got hurt, then they filled in the pitching rotation gap at the trade deadline.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 02:26 PM)
With Danks the Sox are still the 8th best team in the AL.. I hope we still sign than trade him and get a package like the Padres got in the Latos trade.

If you can you always keep proven pitcher over any suspect at a reasonable price. If the numbers are accurate, the Sox would be fools not to keep him.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 09:31 PM)
That's a coup and it also makes me think, if true, that KW was underwhelmed with offers.

Yep, I think Gio and Latos destroyed some of KW's plans this offseason. I do doubt 5/54 is true, as that seems significantly less than what Danks would get.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 02:10 PM)
This team has no particular direction, if this is the case. It's like it's being run by a child with ADHD playing Playstation.

:lolhitting.......................Floyd will be dealt for sure If this is true!

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 02:23 PM)
Wouldn't this move pretty much mean complete opposite.

Not necessarily. KW could be signing him for one last ditch effort at contending, and if he is signed to a long-term deal then his value is increased exponentially, especially if he has an ERA in the low 3s in before the all star break. If the team sucks again, he could then trade Danks for a king's ransom. I would guess that Danks would have some sort of limited NTC in this contract to where he could only be traded to the high spending, perennially contending teams so that he has a chance of winning. The teams most likely to trade for him in this case in no particular order: Texas, LAA, NYY and Boston. There could potentially be some teams that would be dark horse suitors for him too.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 03:32 PM)
Yep, I think Gio and Latos destroyed some of KW's plans this offseason. I do doubt 5/54 is true, as that seems significantly less than what Danks would get.

Yeah, the only reason why this would make sense for the Sox is if Danks suddenly took the level of deal that he wasn't interested in a year ago.

I know some people thought last year's Sox team was a top 5 MLB team coming into the season. As long as we dont totally gut the roster we've got a pretty good chance in our division.

Most experts had St.Louis winning their division last year.. I am so tired of the Sox having one good season followed by a few medicore ones.. The Sox needs to rebuild the farm system.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 02:30 PM)

I think that's what people forget. The sox had a talented team. It's just that everybody (save PK) had about the worst season they could. The sox still need a little offensive upgrade but they aren't an awful team.

You can either gut the team (which people you like suspects want) or add to it. We have yet to see which one KW is really doing. But I think he will still trade CQ, Thornton and a starter to add more pieces.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 03:35 PM)
Mark just got slightly less amount of money. There was no way they will bring him back, he's not 25 anymore.

The only beef I have with org is actually not actually having ANY offer for him.

Why make an insultingly low offer when you know there is no way to get close to what he would want just for the sake of doing it?