k0na breaks story on Danks 5 years/$65mil ext...Heyman confirms

DirtySox

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 04:40 PM)
I would argue 4th. Remember, he called Peavy...twice.

I remember that night in chat when you were like "look at this post on the MLB boards, guys." And we laughed

Heads found it first told me through AIM, sure as hell seemed like bulls*** at first blush.

He also claims to have broke the Garland/Cabrera deal.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 05:45 PM)
Heads found it first told me through AIM, sure as hell seemed like bulls*** at first blush.

He also claims to have broke the Garland/Cabrera deal.

Sigh - we have the most bizarre management in professional sports. I don't know what else to say. At least it resulted in one WS title!

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 04:54 PM)
In case you're wanting to guess when we'll get confirmation on this, when k0na posted about the Edwin Jackson trade on Twitter, it was about 10 hours later that the mainstream sources started getting it.

It was posted late on a Tuesday night or something and Rosenthal had picked it up in the morning.

Someone tweet it to Rosenthal...I'm sure he'll make a few calls and be on it by tonight.

Resigning Danks to a five year deal is proof we're not going with a full rebuild. We now have two left-handed starters to anchor the staff for the next five years. KW's immediate goal needs to be identifying and/or acquiring the other three future starters. If he can use Floyd, Thornton, and Quentin to get one or two more SP prospects that he has confidence in, then we might not be in terrible shape pitching-wise. Clearly KW thinks the world of Molina if he was one of his targets. Humber should at least be a quality #5 starter with the potential for more and he's under control for several more years. If we can add a couple more good prospects this off-season to the Axelrod/Stewart/Petricka/Santiago mix, I think we could reasonably expect one guy to develop into a solid starter. Obviously there are several big "ifs" here, but the long-term SP outlook would be a lot better than it was just a few months ago. I love this deal for the Sox, but this can't prevent us from moving some of the other guys that need to be moved, especially Floyd. We still desperately need to add young talent to this organization.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 10:35 PM)
Johan never had as many "Days off" with the change as Danks has, had a different arm slot that made the change basically a different pitch, and had a better fastball to boot.

Not arguing, but in todays world of pitchers Danks ain't bad

Hopefully this is true. I never truly bought into KW saying they were going to rebuild. No maybe it was his plan at one time, and since then he's found he can't get what he wants for Danks (at least). I imagine he had several plans based on what he could do with Danks, Floyd, Quentin, etc. I do hope, however, that there is another deal or two. I think Quentin can be dealt, but I wonder if he can bring back a decent prospect.

If the tweet is accurate, I don't see how any White Sox fan could be upset with it. I thought Danks was mad the Sox didn't protect his brother? If Danks has a good year and the Sox don't, he's still easily tradeable and probably worth more on the trade market locked into a contract. Perhaps KW wasn't going to get what he thought was fair for him in the trade market, so the next best thing is to lock him up. Its surprising JR would go 5 years, it seems to me, if the entire report is true, they may have signed him for 5 years, but don't expect him to be around 5 years. We will see. He should be coming into his prime now.

This team would still need some help. Buehrle is gone, you can't count on Sale to eat his innings. Peavy should be better, but its still an unknown. Humber you can't bank anything on either. The rotation could be decent, it could be great, it could be awful. One thing for sure, the bullpen is going to become more taxed than it has been in years. As for Molina, I don't think it would be right to count on anyone with 21 IP above A ball right now. But the AL Central is all forgiving. The Tigers are a Verlander bad couple months away from being no better than the 2011 White Sox.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 06:08 PM)
If the tweet is accurate, I don't see how any White Sox fan could be upset with it. I thought Danks was mad the Sox didn't protect his brother? If Danks has a good year and the Sox don't, he's still easily tradeable and probably worth more on the trade market locked into a contract. Perhaps KW wasn't going to get what he thought was fair for him in the trade market, so the next best thing is to lock him up. Its surprising JR would go 5 years, it seems to me, if the entire report is true, they may have signed him for 5 years, but don't expect him to be around 5 years. We will see. He should be coming into his prime now.

This team would still need some help. Buehrle is gone, you can't count on Sale to eat his innings. Peavy should be better, but its still an unknown. Humber you can't bank anything on either. The rotation could be decent, it could be great, it could be awful. One thing for sure, the bullpen is going to become more taxed than it has been in years. As for Molina, I don't think it would be right to count on anyone with 21 IP above A ball right now. But the AL Central is all forgiving. The Tigers are a Verlander bad couple months away from being no better than the 2011 White Sox.

Not to mention he hated Don Cooper according to the only honest columnist in town...

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 06:28 PM)
And if he's willing to accept this deal, I think he's worried about it as well.

Has Danks ever even been on the DL other than the oblique injury this year?

I don't worry about injury at all with him. I think he realizes he had a down year, that the Yankees/Red Sox/Angels/Rangers are going to be pretty spent out for the next few years, and would like to stay with the Sox. Yes, he might lose a few million signing a deal like this, but then he'll avoid talking to the Nationals and the Marlins and just stay where he wants to be.

I wouldn't be shocked if Mark's experience didn't weigh on Johnny a little bit here.