What does Krazy "Rebuilding" Kenny do next?

caulfield12

What will Williams do next?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Next move, in order of likelihood

• Trades John Danks to the highest bidder (depending on NTC/contract terms)
    • Trades Gavin Floyd to the highest bidder
    • Trades Carlos Quentin to eliminate his salary
    • Trades Matt Thornton (Yankees?)
    • Trades Frasor or Crain with Stewart now slated for the pen
    • Does something really crazy, trades Alexei or Paulie
    • Trades Danks for Buehrle
    • Has a billboard constructed poking fun at Joe Cowley
    • Offers Adam Dunn a restaurant chain in Lawrence, KS to run with Ozzie
    • Offers Alex Rios and Peavy extensions

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 10:34 PM)
I'm the only one to see Thornton being the first one moved? Hmm. I kind of think that Kenny might move Thornton and then decide not to rebuild. Buehrle, Pierre, and Thornton might be the only subtractions.

And Santos, Pena, Vizquel, Castro, Edwin Jackson, Teahen, etc.

That's turning around 35-40% of the roster in the span of 6 months.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 10:35 PM)
Kenny's rebuilding is going to be the following.

Attaching tradable chips to boat anchors hoping someone takes them.

Asking ridiculous returns for players.

Then saying f*** it. Lets go for it.

ALL IN 2.0

Wonder how much of this is coming from the marketing/ticket sales side of things?

One would hope the renewed optimism on the Northside isn't the cause.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 11:50 PM)
And Santos, Pena, Vizquel, Castro, Edwin Jackson, Teahen, etc.

That's turning around 35-40% of the roster in the span of 6 months.

Teahen and Jackson were gone before the offseason started, Santos I already mentioned, and Pena, Vizquel, and Castro are not starters, therefor I was not including them anyway.

I'm not saying I want him to go for it, I am saying I could see that rationalization coming to play.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 09:35 PM)
Kenny's rebuilding is going to be the following.

Attaching tradable chips to boat anchors hoping someone takes them.

Asking ridiculous returns for players.

Then saying f*** it. Lets go for it.

ALL IN 2.0

if this weren't so close to truthville, it'd be hilarious.

While it's possible for the White Sox to compete in 2012, it seems unlikely. Realistically, Alexei Ramirez and Paul Konerko are their only position players who project to be above-average relative to their position, and their roster is loaded with players on the wrong side of 30, including Konerko, Adam Dunn, A.J. Pierzynski, Jake Peavy and Alex Rios. In other words, they're all more likely to get worse rather than better.

There's not really a reason to expect guys like Dunn, Peavy and Rios to be horrible SIMPLY because they're in their early 30's.

AJ and Konerko, you can expect a fall-off, obviously.

Edited by knightni

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 23, 2011 -> 03:09 AM)
There's not really a reason to expect guys like Dunn, Peavy and Rios to be horrible SIMPLY because they're in their early 30's.

No, but you can add in the additional element of them being utterly, utterly horrible last year...and then ask how many men (note that I said men, things that used to be men until the steroids removed those organs don't count) significantly improve once they're on the wrong side of 30?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 23, 2011 -> 07:37 AM)
No, but you can add in the additional element of them being utterly, utterly horrible last year...and then ask how many men (note that I said men, things that used to be men until the steroids removed those organs don't count) significantly improve once they're on the wrong side of 30?

By that argument, you should never sign a free agent whose contract covers more 30's than 20's, offer Konerko and AJ extensions...and never should have taken on the Rios contract with the prime of his career behind him.

Maybe this Danks move, kicking the tires on Cespedes....is getting back towards that concept of having the majority of the team hitting their 26-29 years together, as much as possible.

Of course, that kind of flies in the face of the 2005 team, a team which felt more "veteran led" than one brimming with youngsters in their prime. At the time, the starting rotation seemed to be the one area, with Buehrle, Freddy Garcia, Garland and Brandon McCarthy, where the potential existed for them to go on an extended run of dominance if all the right chips fell into place. The only "older" pitchers were El Duque and Contreras.

If I had to guess, I'd say he dumps Quentin, finds a catching prospect to compete with Flowers for AJ's spot after next season, and then acquires a prospect who can hopefully take over for Konerko in 2 years.

How he does any of this other than dealing Quentin, I have no idea. He could take a first baseman high in this years draft, but the catching prospect definitely would need to be more seasoned. Now that I think about it, Kenny probably still values Flowers highly enough to have him penciled in as our starter after AJ is gone.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Dec 23, 2011 -> 05:59 PM)
If I had to guess, I'd say he dumps Quentin, finds a catching prospect to compete with Flowers for AJ's spot after next season, and then acquires a prospect who can hopefully take over for Konerko in 2 years.

How he does any of this other than dealing Quentin, I have no idea. He could take a first baseman high in this years draft, but the catching prospect definitely would need to be more seasoned. Now that I think about it, Kenny probably still values Flowers highly enough to have him penciled in as our starter after AJ is gone.

Trading Thornton or Floyd is the only way to get that done.

Or possibly Crain.

Just can't see any scenario yet where they deal Alexei Ramirez or Konerko....not until July, at the earliest.

And then we really are rebuilding (officially) if those 2 go.

Edited by caulfield12