Adam Dunn is not done

soxfan-kwman

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Big Jim thinks Dunn is not done. He also thinks Beckham will thrive under Ventura. I agree.

Thome Confident Dunn Will Rebound

“I’m a very similar player as him. If you look at the way both of our styles are, we are very similar,” Thome said of Dunn in an interview with Comcast SportsNet. “And I will say this, the guy might come out this year and hit 60 home runs. He’s got that potential. And one thing I would think, because he’s very driven, whenever you challenge an athlete, the good ones rise, and he’s very good, so we’ll see.”

Jim foresees a possible renaissance for Dunn in 2012. How about the entire White Sox team?

“I do. I think Robin is a great man. I think he’s going to do great things. He’s a great baseball guy. I think a guy like [Gordon] Beckham is going to have a great year.”

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 09:14 PM)
Big Jim thinks Dunn is not done. He also thinks Beckham will thrive under Ventura. I agree.

Thome Confident Dunn Will Rebound

Thome makes the important point that he was told "you are the DH" and he embraced it and excelled.

The first thing Ventura did was tell the public Dunn will play the field more.

Not good.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 09:06 PM)
Thome makes the important point that he was told "you are the DH" and he embraced it and excelled.

Not good.

Ventura might read that and reconsider. Ventura might be able to learn and adjust. Ozzie would just say I make the F*%#@ lineups! Then Ozzie would bat him 3rd and pinch hit him against lefties in crucial game situations. If managers had a WAR stat, Ozzie's would be -7.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 03:21 AM)
Ventura might read that and reconsider. Ventura might be able to learn and adjust. Ozzie would just say I make the F*%#@ lineups! Then Ozzie would bat him 3rd and pinch hit him against lefties in crucial game situations. If managers had a WAR stat, Ozzie's would be -7.

People tell me to get off the Ozzie train.

Just thought I'd point out this post. It goes both ways. It grows old reading about Ozzie the current scapegoat.

I hope people don't blame Ozzie for what happens on the field this year. As dumb as that sounds, I could see people continuing to blame Ozzie rather than the current cast of characters.

It happens a lot in sports. At Kansas, the wacky Jayhawk fans still blame football coach Terry Allen for the current program's problems and he coached about 20 years ago. And they blame a former athletic director two regimes removed, for the current s*** state of the program.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 06:14 PM)

Such a class act and pungent statement directly to Dunn.

Hope it hits home if he's reading.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 29, 2011 -> 12:38 PM)
The main reason Ozzie disliked Swisher from what the media reported is that Ozzie felt Swisher was selfish for pouting that he was losing out on at bats to Wise while the team was in a pennant race.

Ozzie disliking someone for being selfish and pouting while probably true is kind of funny. No one in the White Sox organization has been more selfish or pouted more than Ozzie since Swisher left town.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 09:06 PM)

Not good.

They are willing to try anything. Dunn was told he would primarily be the DH when he signed. There were no surprises there. If you recall he didn't want to be a DH then when he saw the dollar figures being a DH wouldn't be so bad. I know the sample sizes were very small, but Dunn actually hit better as a DH in 2011 than he did as a position player.

To make it seem like Dunn was coming into a situation at least partially unaware of what the plan was is incorrect and not a excuse for the near history making result.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 10:58 PM)
Such a class act and pungent statement directly to Dunn.

Hope it hits home if he's reading.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 11:16 PM)
Poignant?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 11:54 AM)
SexPanther-1.jpg

It's quite pungent.

It's a formidable scent... It stings the nostrils. In a good way.

Brian, I'm gonna be honest with you, that smells like pure gasoline.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 29, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)
The main reason Ozzie disliked Swisher from what the media reported is that Ozzie felt Swisher was selfish for pouting that he was losing out on at bats to Wise while the team was in a pennant race.

BTW, if anybody saw the film "Moneyball" there is a not-so-subtle reference to Swisher ala "Jeremy Giambi" that was straight out of the 2008 White Sox clubhouse. Brilliant.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 07:20 AM)
Ozzie disliking someone for being selfish and pouting while probably true is kind of funny. No one in the White Sox organization has been more selfish or pouted more than Ozzie since Swisher left town.

I appreciate Ozzie and his methods worked in 2005. That said, it seemed to me that anybody the Sox got that received more or wanted more attention than Ozzie was knocked down a notch. Swisher likes attention and he did not perform well enough to play. I was no Swisher fan. However, it is odd that he has played well for other managers. Beckham was the "golden boy" prospect. Ozzie made sure the media lowered expectations for him. I thought that was to take pressure off Gordon. I'm not so sure now. Viciedo was red hot last year and a big discussion in the media to call him up. As soon as he came up, Ozzie humbled him in the media. Now it turns out Peavy and Ozzie had some issues. In Ozzie's opinion, Ozzie is the leader and the team needs no other. Ozzie gets the attention and puts players back in their place. I almost seems like bully behavior or something. I know he was fun to play for for some or even most players. I know he has the respect of many. I even respect him for his accomplishments. That said, this team has been dysfunctional and underachieving for years. I am so glad Ozzie is gone! It was like Christmas in October for me. Ozzie moves on... Great! The Sox do not have to pay him...Even Better! The Sox get compensation for Ozzie... Unbelievably Awesome!

I still say guys like Dunn, Morel, Rios, and Beckham may have big seasons just because the Sox have a new manger. I will stand by that and am looking forward to 2012 more and more.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 09:39 AM)
I appreciate Ozzie and his methods worked in 2005. That said, it seemed to me that anybody the Sox got that received more or wanted more attention than Ozzie was knocked down a notch. Swisher likes attention and he did not perform well enough to play. I was no Swisher fan. However, it is odd that he has played well for other managers. Beckham was the "golden boy" prospect. Ozzie made sure the media lowered expectations for him. I thought that was to take pressure off Gordon. I'm not so sure now. Viciedo was red hot last year and a big discussion in the media to call him up. As soon as he came up, Ozzie humbled him in the media. Now it turns out Peavy and Ozzie had some issues. In Ozzie's opinion, Ozzie is the leader and the team needs no other. Ozzie gets the attention and puts players back in their place. I almost seems like bully behavior or something. I know he was fun to play for for some or even most players. I know he has the respect of many. I even respect him for his accomplishments. That said, this team has been dysfunctional and underachieving for years. I am so glad Ozzie is gone! It was like Christmas in October for me. Ozzie moves on... Great! The Sox do not have to pay him...Even Better! The Sox get compensation for Ozzie... Unbelievably Awesome!

I still say guys like Dunn, Morel, Rios, and Beckham may have big seasons just because the Sox have a new manger. I will stand by that and am looking forward to 2012 more and more.

Its funny, most of the time when someone leaves, the hatchet job comes out and the people behind the scenes destroy some credibility of the people who were formerly in charge. This time around it is Ozzie's people who are destroying his credibility more than anyone else. The Sox haven't said anything.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 10:47 AM)
Its funny, most of the time when someone leaves, the hatchet job comes out and the people behind the scenes destroy some credibility of the people who were formerly in charge. This time around it is Ozzie's people who are destroying his credibility more than anyone else. The Sox haven't said anything.

Yeah, this strikes me as odd too. I really kind of expected dirt to come up on Ozzie from "anonymous" sources or whoever but it hasn't happened, but Ozzie's camp is talking s*** as usual.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 10:04 AM)
Yeah, this strikes me as odd too. I really kind of expected dirt to come up on Ozzie from "anonymous" sources or whoever but it hasn't happened, but Ozzie's camp is talking s*** as usual.

It really makes me wonder about the stuff that went on during the last seven years... Was the stuff that got blamed on Williams really the Guillen clan?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 10:06 AM)
It really makes me wonder about the stuff that went on during the last seven years... Was the stuff that got blamed on Williams really the Guillen clan?

Brian Anderson comes to mind. I know many think he was just bad at baseball. I wonder if had been handled differently, he would have been at least serviceable. He may have sucked, but from my observations, it seemed like any time he would start to get on hot streak, he took a day off. Brian Anderson seemed like an outgoing guy who may have liked too much attention for an Ozzie led team. Pure speculation on my part. There just seems to be a pattern to me.

Highlights

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...3088.story'

"I'm fine with anything," Dunn said. "I don't need an extra month to get ready."

Dunn emphasized he has no excuses for struggling last year in his new role.

"People have made the adjustment (from the field to DH) in the past," Dunn said. "I didn't do it. It fell on me. I couldn't live with myself last year.

"I hate making excuses. It's something I never do. If you hear me making excuses, punch me in the face."