Adam Dunn is not done

soxfan-kwman

ChuckGarfien Chuck Garfien

Dunn: "We made 2 pretty good moves this off-season, hopefully getting me and Alex(Rios) back."

1 hour ago

Chuck Garfien

Dunn says he doesn't go on a scale every day, but looking at him, he definitely lost weight.

1 hour ago

Chuck Garfien

Adam Dunn: "All I can say is it's over and I can't wait for the season to start."

1 hour ago

WhiteSoxTalkCSN White Sox Talk

"If it started today, I'm ready." -- Dunn #SoxFest

1 minute ago

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adam Dunn appeared much leaner as he spoke optimistically of the Chicago White Sox's chances in 2012, pending a return to form by him and Alex Rios.

“We made two pretty good moves, I think, this offseason," Dunn said Saturday after an autograph session at SoxFest. "That was hopefully getting me and Alex back. That’s the way I’m looking at it. We pretty much have the same team. We lost a couple of key players. We have guys capable of stepping in and filling that role and do a little better. That’s what we’re expecting.”

The 6-foot-6, 285-pound Dunn appears much leaner around his mid-section. Although he declined to elaborate on his offseason workouts, he did reveal Tuesday during an interview with the Tribune that part of his emphasis was on strengthening his core.

“I feel good," Dunn said. "I don’t know, I don’t weigh myself every morning. But I feel good and still got a month to go (before spring training).”

Dunn reiterated that it took him a while to forget about his franchise-record 177 strikeouts and a .159 batting average in his first season with the Sox after hitting at least 38 home runs in every season since 2004. But that was because people kept asking him about the cause of his struggles.

"I don’t buy into the ‘you need to fail,' all that stuff," Dunn said. "Like when everyone said the (Green Bay) Packers needed to lose a game to go into the playoffs. Why? You want to win them all. I want to be as good as I can every single year for 20 years or for however long I play.

"Hopefully I’m going in this year feeling as good as I’ve felt in a long time and just ready to get started and quit talking about it every (time). It doesn’t matter where you go, everyone is talking about it. I realize that comes with that, but I really can’t wait for opening day.”

Dunn also wouldn't be goaded into making a contrast between former manager Ozzie Guillen and first-year Sox manager Robin Ventura.

"Ozzie was great," Dunn said. "I didn’t have a problem playing for Ozzie. I’ m not going to have a problem playing for Robin. I didn’t have a problem playing for Bob Boone (in Cincinnati). I don’t have a problem as long as you’re doing your job, I don’t ever have a problem with a manager. If you don’t, some of them like to cover themselves more than others."

Trib

cherann23 cheryl

Hawk says change harder for pitchers than hitters. #soxfest

44 seconds ago

cherann23 cheryl

Adjustment from nl to al? Not one of the problems. Not significant to at happened. #soxfest

1 minute ago

Dunn says "no" to question about if DHing led to his downturn last season. #SoxFest

1 minute ago

Another kid: "I don't really have a question but.......good luck." #SoxFest

1 minute ago

cherann23 cheryl

How often do players get eyes checked? In st def. at least once per year. #soxfest

2 minutes ago

Little kid asks Manto "how often to baseball players get their eyes checked?" #SoxFest

2 minutes ago

Dunn adds, "If I don't give people a reason to cheer, I don't expect them to cheer." #SoxFest

3 minutes ago

cherann23 cheryl

Dunn how do boos affect you? Harder but don't expect to hear cheers. #soxfest

3 minutes ago

Tell ya what...you gotta love Dunn's attitude. I for one will really be rooting for this guy when the season starts...good guy. Would love it for him and the Sox to see him turn it around this year. And to a previous poster...YES...he did need to lose some weight. His bat was extremely slow last year....

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 03:11 PM)
Tell ya what...you gotta love Dunn's attitude. I for one will really be rooting for this guy when the season starts...good guy. Would love it for him and the Sox to see him turn it around this year. And to a previous poster...YES...he did need to lose some weight. His bat was extremely slow last year....

I agree, he has never blamed anyone or made any excuses.

It would be nice for people to stop asking him questions about last year to make it a little easier for him to put it behind him, but that's impossible.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 10:38 PM)
If Adam Dunn hit 45-50 home runs would we win the division?

That alone wouldn't do it. What I mean is that if Dunn explodes offensively but Rios and Beckham struggle again and Humber doesn't repeat and...well you get the point. However, if the team as it is contstructed now is the team we see on opening day, Dunn popping 40+ HRs will help the Sox be at least competitive.

I think offensively anyway, Dunn, Konerko, Rios, and Viciedo have to have good years. I'm talking 90+ HRs between the four of them.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 07:56 AM)
That alone wouldn't do it. What I mean is that if Dunn explodes offensively but Rios and Beckham struggle again and Humber doesn't repeat and...well you get the point. However, if the team as it is contstructed now is the team we see on opening day, Dunn popping 40+ HRs will help the Sox be at least competitive.

I think offensively anyway, Dunn, Konerko, Rios, and Viciedo have to have good years. I'm talking 90+ HRs between the four of them.

You have to take into account the regression factor for other players as well, -although I think the Tigers will lead the league in roster regression this season.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 08:48 PM)
You have to take into account the regression factor for other players as well, -although I think the Tigers will lead the league in roster regression this season.

For the Sox, the reality is...about the only guy who might be expected to regress is paulie. No other veterans had decent years.

• 2 weeks later...

And Ozzie throwing Dunn under the bus, again...

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/...icago-white-sox

Ozzie: Adam Dunn's woes evident early

Email

Print

Comments

ESPNChicago.com

It didn't take long for Ozzie Guillen to know his new free agent slugger Adam Dunn was in store for a rough season.

In fact, the former Chicago White Sox manager didn't even need to see Dunn in a regular season at-bat to forecast trouble. Sitting in his Scottsdale, Ariz., office on the first day of spring training, Guillen was approached by then-hitting coach Greg Walker, who had just watched a batting practice session with Dunn, Paul Konerko, Carlos Quentin and A.J. Pierzynski.

Waddle & Silvy

Ex-White Sox player and manager Ozzie Guillen joins Waddle & Silvy for Lunch with a Legend, where he discusses his time in Chicago, Carlos Zambrano, his new job in Miami and much more.

More Podcasts »

"He says 'We have a problem,' " Guillen said Friday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "I say 'What? Spring training is only a couple of days [old].' He says 'You've got to come out and see Adam Dunn's swing. I said 'Don't worry about it. We've got a month and a half to get ready, go through spring training. Don't worry about it.' "

Guillen, who is entering his first season as Miami Marlins manager, eventually relented and saw Dunn for himself.

"I looked at his swing and I told [bench coach] Joey Cora going home, 'We've got a big problem,' " Guillen said.

That early batting practice session turned out to be a precursor for one of the worst major league seasons of all time.

Signed to a four-year, $56 million deal in the offseason, Dunn batted .159 with 177 strikeouts in 415 at-bats. A proven run producer, Dunn had 100 RBIs in six of the previous eight seasons, but finished 2011 with 44 RBIs. He had five seasons with 40-plus home runs seasons, but hit just 11 in 2011.

"It was painful to see Adam Dunn every at-bat and walk behind me [in the dugout] with a long face [after] striking out," Guillen said.

Guillen said the team and Dunn tried everything to help him snap out of it. Signed to be the primary designated hitter after spending his entire career in the National League, Dunn got more time at first base and the outfield to perhaps prevent him from thinking too much about his at-bats on the bench as the DH. The team brought up pitchers from the minor leagues to throw to him, watched video of his swings. Nothing worked.

"People in Chicago, believe me, he tried everything in his power to get better," Guillen said. "He just had a bad year. Hopefully he will bounce back."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 03:40 PM)
And Ozzie throwing Dunn under the bus, again...

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/...icago-white-sox

Winner

SouthSideSox South Side Sox

So Ozzie Guillen knew Adam Dunn's swing was messed up during spring training, and yet he still gave him 496 PA?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 04:56 PM)
Oh come on now...what was he supposed to do? Tell the fans and Kenny "I'm not playing him. His swing is f***ed."

At least by May, yes.

He was clearly struggling mightily. If you thought that there was a whole lot wrong with his swing and he was struggling to get it together, put him on the bench for a week or more and let him work out the kinks.

If you thought the problem was all mental, then playing him might give him a chance to work the problems out. If there's a technique issue he's seriously screwing up, then send him to practice until he fixes it.