Gio to Washington

southsider2k5

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 04:12 PM)
Nationals looking good with Stras, Zimmermann, and Gio.

They also paid a lot for Gio though. I don't think he's gonna be that great outside of Oakland.

Think his wildness is going to bite him now that he's out of Oakland?

I'm always accused of overvaluing/overrating prospects. Then one of these 3 or 4 for 1 deals happen and everybody here says the team giving up multiple prospects is nuts. I love this for the Nationals. You now have a 1-2-3 that is as good as any in the NL sans Philly. Harper will be up next year. Rendon shouldn't take too long. The Nationals are coming for everyone soon.

Must suck to be an A's fan. Even if you get the 4 best prospects from another team, in a few years once those guys make it to the bigs and produce, they'll be on their way out the door for more prospects...

They should have won the Series in 2001 and/or 2002.... Bummer

QUOTE (Cali @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 04:57 PM)
Must suck to be an A's fan. Even if you get the 4 best prospects from another team, in a few years once those guys make it to the bigs and produce, they'll be on their way out the door for more prospects...

They're hoping to do what the Marlins are doing this year. They're trying to get a stadium and time a wave of kids to come up just as it opens, then fortify the roster w/ free agent signings based on increased anticipated revenues.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 06:05 PM)
They're hoping to do what the Marlins are doing this year. They're trying to get a stadium and time a wave of kids to come up just as it opens, then fortify the roster w/ free agent signings based on increased anticipated revenues.

One big difference though....Ozzie is not off the market so they can't make the same splash.

QUOTE (Cali @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 04:57 PM)

Find one and ask. It'll be tough.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 03:44 PM)
I'm always accused of overvaluing/overrating prospects. Then one of these 3 or 4 for 1 deals happen and everybody here says the team giving up multiple prospects is nuts. I love this for the Nationals. You now have a 1-2-3 that is as good as any in the NL sans Philly. Harper will be up next year. Rendon shouldn't take too long. The Nationals are coming for everyone soon.

Lol...you are ridiculous and you continue to overrate prospects. The Nationals won 1 more game than the White Sox last year. You haven't shut up about how bad the Sox are and how we have no chance, but now the big, bad Nationals are coming for everyone in one of the f***est toughest divisions in baseball. Obviously their pitching will be a lot better with Strasburg back for a full season and the addition of Gio (although he'll regress outside of Oakland), but their offense still sucks IMO. So basically you're assuming prospects like Harper and Rendon will develop into stars and lead the Nationals into the promiseland despite having to overcome three teams that are currently better at the moment. I don't see it happening, but I'm not surprised you do.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 09:41 PM)
Lol...you are ridiculous and you continue to overrate prospects. The Nationals won 1 more game than the White Sox last year. You haven't shut up about how bad the Sox are and how we have no chance, but now the big, bad Nationals are coming for everyone in one of the f***est toughest divisions in baseball. Obviously their pitching will be a lot better with Strasburg back for a full season and the addition of Gio (although he'll regress outside of Oakland), but their offense still sucks IMO. So basically you're assuming prospects like Harper and Rendon will develop into stars and lead the Nationals into the promiseland despite having to overcome three teams that are currently better at the moment. I don't see it happening, but I'm not surprised you do.

J4L is out of his mind at times but comparing the Nats situation to the Sox situation is just as insane.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 10:26 PM)
J4L is out of his mind at times but comparing the Nats situation to the Sox situation is just as insane.

I'm not comparing our situations, I'm just trying to make a point. We essentially had the same record as the Nationals last year, but their outlook looks so much better than ours? We both have players at the major league level that we can expect to produce more in 2012, so the reason must come down to their stud prospects. I'm not denying that their system blows ours out of the water, I'm simply calling J4L out for once again assuming that other teams' prospects will all develop into stars. He constantly makes comments about how all these s***ty teams are going to be amazing in a few years. This is him overrating prospects, which he just said he doesn't do.

Answer me this, what's so fascinating about the Nationals' major league roster? Outside of Zimmerman, I don't see much on offense. Ramos looks like he'll be a solid catcher, but I don't think he'll be a star. Morse is not going to repeat his numbers next year. Werth was a huge waste of money. I already acknowledged they have some interesting pitching, but is that really enough to overcome the Phillies, Braves, and Marlins?

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 23, 2011 -> 12:41 AM)
I already acknowledged they have some interesting pitching, but is that really enough to overcome the Phillies, Braves, and Marlins?

The ace in the hole for the next few years with the bats is Bryce Harper. If they're sitting on another version of Pujols/Bautista, then that suddenly makes any lineup competitive.

QUOTE (Cali @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 03:57 PM)

They should bring back Canseco as their "strength" coach.