2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 10:40 PM)
Xrays negative on derrick *exhale*

Uncertain if Rose can go on Friday.

If Rose can't go, then John Lucas (III) is probably the Bulls only point guard on Friday in Orlando. And that one is, I'd say, kinda likely a loss.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 01:21 AM)
Today was the best Boozer and Noah ever played with each others. They both hit their jumpers, found each other in the post, rebounded, and Boozer is actually playing D this year. His DRtg is 92. He's 7th in the league.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leader...rtg_top_10.html

Now, that SHOULD change, but he was 7th in the league last year as well.

That defensive rating stat is very team dependent. I think it measures more of the team while the player is on the court than the player itself. In no world was Boozer even close to playing above-average defense last year. He was helped tremendously by the fact that when he was on the court, he was surrounded by great defenders and great team scheme.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 08:03 AM)
Uncertain if Rose can go on Friday.

If Rose can't go, then John Lucas (III) is probably the Bulls only point guard on Friday in Orlando. And that one is, I'd say, kinda likely a loss.

I would honestly prefer Brewer running the point with Deng at the 2 and Butler at the 3. Lucas is bad notwithstanding his eight-minute spurt the other night. It would be like throwing a game on purpose. While Brewer doesn't quite have PG handles, he may be able to do it for one game.

On a side note, I really like Butler and think he is already better overall than Korver who only plays because he has a 3-point shot. However, he isn't making it consistently, so his purpose is quite frustrated.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 08:17 AM)
That defensive rating stat is very team dependent. I think it measures more of the team while the player is on the court than the player itself. In no world was Boozer even close to playing above-average defense last year. He was helped tremendously by the fact that when he was on the court, he was surrounded by great defenders and great team scheme.

He was probably the biggest anomaly ever last year when it came to DRtg. It's generally pretty good.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 07:56 AM)
But the problem for Rose in the low post is that if he gets the ball down there and tries to score from that point, stationary, he's inviting all of the 6'10 guys in the game to come in and get on him. He can maneuver around those guys when he's moving, but from a stationary position in the low post he's setting himself up to be trapped. Playing in the low post limits his speed, and his speed is his best asset.

23 wasn't a great low post player in my memory until he developed that incredible fadeaway jumper, where even if a 7 footer came to double, he'd just arc it over his head, but 23 still had several inches on Rose.

Lebron could take himself to the next level by developing in the low post because he's already bigger than everyone in the league not named Dwight Howard. Carlos Boozer is small compared to Lebron.

I think he's at the point where just "Trying to improve jump shot/trying to improve decision making" is literally the best thing he can do.

Jordan was also about 3-4 inches taller than Rose.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 09:13 AM)
Agreed about Korver. He is playing so terribly right now and not hitting his 3s, so at this point, i'd rather have someone who can play D and help run the offense.

I would play him extended minutes in blow out games so he can start hitting some shots. He needs to get hot, that would take the 2nd unit to another level, especially with Watson out.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 10:25 AM)
I would play him extended minutes in blow out games so he can start hitting some shots. He needs to get hot, that would take the 2nd unit to another level, especially with Watson out.

Maybe Korver has just hit the wall and lost his touch?

There's no reason why Rose shouldn't add a post game to his arsenal, size doesn't matter, look what Gary Payton, Sam Cassell and Mark Jackson did while they were playing, pretty good post up players.Like it was posted before, Rose has a size and strength advantage over most PGs, if the help comes, swing the ball around and find the open man.No help comes, take him.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 09:25 AM)

Well if Rose is out, he is probably going to get some more minutes.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 07:56 AM)
But the problem for Rose in the low post is that if he gets the ball down there and tries to score from that point, stationary, he's inviting all of the 6'10 guys in the game to come in and get on him. He can maneuver around those guys when he's moving, but from a stationary position in the low post he's setting himself up to be trapped. Playing in the low post limits his speed, and his speed is his best asset

It is simple basketball fundamentals Balta. Rose doesn't have to "try to score" if an opposing big is gonna double him. Pass the ball out to the open man, or swing it around and reload from the post. Speed doesn't always mean running really fast on the court. Foot work, agility etc. are beneficial to the speed aspect of the game. Rose has the special ability early on here to shoot over bigger guys with his athleticism and overall speed. Once thats gone, he'll have to find other ways to be effective at the PG position other than passing. (which I'm sure his b-ball I.Q. will improve enough to realize that)

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 09:51 AM)
It is simple basketball fundamentals Balta. Rose doesn't have to "try to score" if an opposing big is gonna double him. Pass the ball out to the open man, or swing it around and reload from the post. Speed doesn't always mean running really fast on the court. Foot work, agility etc. are beneficial to the speed aspect of the game. Rose has the special ability early on here to shoot over bigger guys with his athleticism and overall speed. Once thats gone, he'll have to find other ways to be effective at the PG position other than passing. (which I'm sure his b-ball I.Q. will improve enough to realize that)

Not to mention we have the best baseline player in the game in Ronnie Brewer. I think Rose can work a post up game like Kobe, take on the opposing point guards and exploit the defender with his athleticism. He can hit those mid range shots or fade aways all day given his athleticism and his above average mid range shooting. There will be times when teams will throw bigger guards at him or try to double him, but I believe he will be suffice if he throws a pass to a cutting Deng or Brewer, or hit a Noah sneaking in the paint for an easy dunk. I much rather see him exploit a match up in a post up than letting the defense off the hook by jacking up an inconsistent three point shot.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 02:38 PM)
Cousins 1 Westfall 0

ChiTribSports ChiTribSports

Westphal out as Sacramento Kings coach

Never liked that guy as a coach. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it didn't happen, but no reason that 93 Suns team shouldn't have won the title. They were the best in the NBA all year.

I honestly didn't think the Bulls were going to win that series but you could tell he was being outcoached after losing Game 1 and 2 AT HOME.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 09:26 AM)
Maybe Korver has just hit the wall and lost his touch?

I think it's confidence and a lack of playing time. It's incredibly hard to get in a rhythm when you see spotty minutes. And obviously confidence is huge in making shots.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 06:01 PM)
I think it's confidence and a lack of playing time. It's incredibly hard to get in a rhythm when you see spotty minutes. And obviously confidence is huge in making shots.

Have his minutes really declined compared to previous years?

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 02:56 PM)
Not to mention we have the best baseline player in the game in Ronnie Brewer. I think Rose can work a post up game like Kobe, take on the opposing point guards and exploit the defender with his athleticism. He can hit those mid range shots or fade aways all day given his athleticism and his above average mid range shooting. There will be times when teams will throw bigger guards at him or try to double him, but I believe he will be suffice if he throws a pass to a cutting Deng or Brewer, or hit a Noah sneaking in the paint for an easy dunk. I much rather see him exploit a match up in a post up than letting the defense off the hook by jacking up an inconsistent three point shot.

Speaking of Kobe, I read in LakersGround that after a Bulls/Lakers game, Kobe gave some advice to Rose and told him to work on a post game so he can elevate his game.