2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 04:56 PM)
For the I hate isolation basketball crowd - let me introduce you to the Denver Nuggets. Oh my goodness. Their depth has depth. They just run, pass, cut, and shoot the s*** out of you.

I called them a sleeper team coming into this season.

They obviously don't have a bonafide superstar on their team anymore, but as you said, they do have depth. And in this short season, you need to go 10 deep now, and Denver do that. An interesting question to ask also, going forward, if you were building a team, would you rather Melo on a max contract, or Gallinari for 4/42?

Plus they still have rights over Wilson Chandler and J.R Smith I believe once they get out of China?

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 06:10 AM)
I called them a sleeper team coming into this season.

They obviously don't have a bonafide superstar on their team anymore, but as you said, they do have depth. And in this short season, you need to go 10 deep now, and Denver do that. An interesting question to ask also, going forward, if you were building a team, would you rather Melo on a max contract, or Gallinari for 4/42?

Plus they still have rights over Wilson Chandler and J.R Smith I believe once they get out of China?

I think JR Smith is a f/a but they have the rights to Chandler. They played really good basketball last season too, the problem is while that works great during reg. season especially one like this.... I don't see them being a major contender in the playoffs.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 11:56 PM)
For the I hate isolation basketball crowd - let me introduce you to the Denver Nuggets. Oh my goodness. Their depth has depth. They just run, pass, cut, and shoot the s*** out of you.

He may not fill up the stat sheet all the time but I love Nene. Always have.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 11:56 PM)

I think it is awesome they got so much better after dumping their superstar.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 06:52 AM)
I think JR Smith is a f/a but they have the rights to Chandler. They played really good basketball last season too, the problem is while that works great during reg. season especially one like this.... I don't see them being a major contender in the playoffs.

You are right about the playoffs, but if there is any season that they could have a chance to make some postseason noise, it would be a year like this with the lockout. Other players being out of shape, more susceptible to injury, less time to gel.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 11:19 AM)
I like Thibs, but I sometimes wonder if hes more Doug Collins than Phil Jackson.

This statement is moronic. No one is Phil Jackson. He was a therapist, not a coach.

Thibs is Thibs. I'd liken him more to Scott Skiles with a set rotation and plan than anyone else. He's his own beast.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 11:31 AM)
This statement is moronic. No one is Phil Jackson. He was a therapist, not a coach.

Thibs is Thibs. I'd liken him more to Scott Skiles with a set rotation and plan than anyone else. He's his own beast.

Skiles is a good comp. I wonder if Thibs will wear on his players like Skiles does.

You completely missed the point, and I dont really feel like explaining it because obviously youre too intelligent to understand my moronic statements.

SS2K,

I was making a generality about task master coaches and whether they are the ones who can ultimately bring a team to the promise land, thus the Collins/Jackson comparison, as compared to Skiles who never took his team to the ECF (which Thibs and Collins did). Thus the comparison of 2 coaches who went to the ECF.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 11:41 AM)
You completely missed the point, and I dont really feel like explaining it because obviously youre too intelligent to understand my moronic statements.

I get the point. Is he the one to lead us to a championship or is he the stepping stone to the next coach who takes us all the way. Listen, Doug Collins was going to win it all with that Bulls team had he stayed around, because of the talent. Thibs has talent. If they add another superstar and he's still around, they'll win it with him. If they add another superstar and coax Phil out of retirement or hire the next guy, I don't really feel that dude would get all the credit.

Heck, even VDN is winning with loads of talent this year!

Doug Collins may have won 1, but I dont know if he would have won 6. Thats the point, task master coaches wear on guys and while they often can get more out of less to begin with, they can also eventually wear on people and that sometimes results in getting less out of more.

And my statement was "sometimes I wonder" not exactly extremely critical.

I think the players actually like Thibs and he isn't as much a dictator as Skiles/Collins though which separates him from them. I don't have any inside info or anything just with Skiles he seemed like Ozzie in a way that it was his clubhouse no ifs and or buts about it.... everything was Ozzie/Skiles. I don't see that in Thibs.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 01:08 PM)
I think the players actually like Thibs and he isn't as much a dictator as Skiles/Collins though which separates him from them. I don't have any inside info or anything just with Skiles he seemed like Ozzie in a way that it was his clubhouse no ifs and or buts about it.... everything was Ozzie/Skiles. I don't see that in Thibs.

I don't think you really know how players feel about a coach until the team starts struggling, which obviously hasn't happened yet in Chicago. That's the real test.

QUOTE (Felix @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 02:36 PM)
I don't think you really know how players feel about a coach until the team starts struggling, which obviously hasn't happened yet in Chicago. That's the real test.

The first adversity test is injuries, and they have responded incredibly well for what they have faced this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 03:00 PM)
The first adversity test is injuries, and they have responded incredibly well for what they have faced this year.

Definitely. Certainly doesn't hurt that they've faced the 11th easiest schedule in the Eastern Conference this season (26th easiest overall), but they've done a good job handling injuries. If their schedule was a bit harder, it's pretty obvious they wouldn't be 19-6 right now, however.

When your team is winning, injuries or not, there's no reason for any player to ever speak poorly of a coach. That was my main point.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 03:39 PM)
Definitely. Certainly doesn't hurt that they've faced the 11th easiest schedule in the Eastern Conference this season (26th easiest overall), but they've done a good job handling injuries. If their schedule was a bit harder, it's pretty obvious they wouldn't be 19-6 right now, however.

When your team is winning, injuries or not, there's no reason for any player to ever speak poorly of a coach. That was my main point.

The thing against that is we have played more games than most teams while dealing with injuries and I think played the most road games in the league or close to it.