2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 07:32 PM)
There is SOME human element to the game, right? I mean, Lin was riding pine two weeks ago and now he's in a playoff atmosphere against the best team in the NBA showing full court press on him while Carmelo stands around staring at him.

The Knicks veterans need to step up and help out, because Lin is being exposed and certainly needed time to adjust.

Look for a big 2nd half from Lin and Melo.

Has nothing to do with human element. Unlike 2 weeks ago, there's more film of Lin and he'll start being exposed more and more (it's already started). He's not quick or athletic. He handles the ball like somebody straight out of 1975. I think he's a good shooter. He's a hack defensively (though he can rack up some steals). He's a backup long-term.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not sure you can project his ceiling because he already has broken through it a few times before. The fact is the guy has a tremendous work ethic. If he can improve his shooting dramatically, he can improve his ball handling. It was evident the first few games that Lin did not feel as comfortable on the left side of the floor (when hes facing the basket), eventually teams are going to see the tapes.

But he can work on that, I think he can be a starter.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 09:41 PM)
Im not sure you can project his ceiling because he already has broken through it a few times before. The fact is the guy has a tremendous work ethic. If he can improve his shooting dramatically, he can improve his ball handling. It was evident the first few games that Lin did not feel as comfortable on the left side of the floor (when hes facing the basket), eventually teams are going to see the tapes.

But he can work on that, I think he can be a starter.

He can clearly be a starter, question right now is whether he can push to an all star or elite level (especially in a dantoni offense).

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 09:21 PM)
Since he was inserted in the starting lineup, he is averaging over 6 turnovers a game, which would break every full season record in the book.

Again, he's only seen one top-tier PG and one elite defense to this point. I can't wait until this crap is over and we can get back to Heat, Bulls, Thunder and, um, I don't know who the second best team in the west is.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 10:27 PM)
Again, he's only seen one top-tier PG and one elite defense to this point. I can't wait until this crap is over and we can get back to Heat, Bulls, Thunder and, um, I don't know who the second best team in the west is.

The way they're playin...Spurs?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 09:27 PM)

How many top tier PG's and elite defenses are in the league? Can only think of 5 PG's that are top tier and what maybe 4-5 elite defenses in league.... if he does well vs everyone else that still makes him pretty damn good.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 09:33 PM)
How many top tier PG's and elite defenses are in the league? Can only think of 5 PG's that are top tier and what maybe 4-5 elite defenses in league.... if he does well vs everyone else that still makes him pretty damn good.

PG is, like, the deepest position in the game. Maybe elite wasn't the right word for overall team defenses. But teams that are quick and athletic will expose Lin more times than not.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 09:43 PM)
PG is like the deepest position in the game. Maybe elite wasn't the right word. But teams that are quick and athletic will expose Lin more times than not.

Maybe so, but judging someone playing poorly vs the Heat isn't really fair... plenty of good players struggle vs them.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 04:59 AM)
Wait a minute. You watched last night's game and feel MORE confident against the Heat? lol. Whatever.

Basically last night was Chalmers shutting down Lin, right? Chalmers can't do that alone to Rose. That's a big differenc.e

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 03:59 AM)
Wait a minute. You watched last night's game and feel MORE confident against the Heat? lol. Whatever.

I gotta agree with J4L, that game depressed me, the Heat may not only be better offensively but defensively as well, yeah it was the Knicks but they looked like they were just toying with them.

Goddamn the Heat have too many weapons.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 03:06 AM)
Am I the only one that watched the Heat/Knicks game and thought "The Bulls could beat both these teams"???

I watched it and wondered what the hell happened to Carmelo Anthony. He doesn't look anything like the premiere talent he is; his head is all messed up.

I watched it and thought, wow, would I trade Deng straight up for Carmelo Anthony given team makeup? The answer wasn't as easy as I once thought it was.

I watched it and realized how my hatred of LeBron James is 100% justifiable. I watched LeBron hit a ridiculous, fadeaway shot one step inside the 3-point line (brilliant, by the way, that's just the worst shot in basketball) and hop backwards down the court with a s***-eating grin and nodding his head like he'd just done something amazing. I watched that game and started to really want LeBron James to die.

I watched the game and realized the book is already out on Jeremy Lin and his stay as a factor in the NBA is going to be a really short one if he doesn't truly focus on protecting the ball; some of those turnovers you just don't see in the NBA... and he did it multiple times in the same quarter.

I watched that game and felt suffocated by the defense the Heat were playing. Two guys running to the ball at all times.

I watched the game, and I got even more worried.

Edited by Steve9347

Christ can we calm down? I love the fact that the Knicks were a terrible team 2 weeks ago, and, according to you guys, have a back-up PG starting, and they Heat beat them. How is this a shock? I watched most of the game and I saw the same s*** from the Heat - suffocating defense (the physicality was not matched by the Knicks), rebounding and getting loose balls, good transition, and then they disappeared for stretches to let the Knicks stay in the game - truly becoming a hallmark of this Heat team that bit them in the ass in the Finals.

I, for one, think the Knicks can hang with the Heat and make a series of it. I think they match up pretty good. I think Amare and Bosh is a good match-up. Chandler SHOULD destroy Anthony. Wade and Lebron are mismatches, but you gotta figure that Anthony will find his shot. And Lin needs to control the ball. Those are all coachable, doable things that they were terrible at last night.

Also the sudden flip on Lin is hilarious. He's had one bad game out of 8 or 9 now. That's 8 or 9 total games he's started in the NBA essentially as a rookie. Why must people jump to conclusions so quickly - both from the Lin is going to be an all-star next year to the Lin is a scrub that doesn't belong in the league? Just let the dude play. Obviously we're going to find out over the next couple of months where he's at.