2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 02:07 PM)
We just saw a no hitter* the other night in MLB.

I still have sour grapes over the UNC - Illini National Championship officiating

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 11:56 AM)
NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB are all somewhat dictated by the officials. NCAA bball is one of the extremes as well.

I'd say MLB is the least dictated by the officials and in reality they have tons of potential subjectivity. In general, MLB has the best refs/umps followed by the NFL and then NBA (dead last). I did not grade the NHL as I don't know enough to give a grade.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)
I'd say MLB is the least dictated by the officials and in reality they have tons of potential subjectivity. In general, MLB has the best refs/umps followed by the NFL and then NBA (dead last). I did not grade the NHL as I don't know enough to give a grade.

I think the difference is restraint.

NFL especially tries not to have its games turn into flag fests. You can call a bunch of tick tack nonsense, but most fans would rather see the game and only have fouls when it is egregious.

The other problem is foul trouble, which you dont have in MLB or NFL. Even if Peyton Manning has 10 false starts, he still gets to play the game. To get thrown out of a NFL game you have to do something terrible, not just have X amount of fouls that day.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 03:40 PM)
6 months ago I would have agreed with you.

I don't really see why it would change. LeBron is far and away the best player in the NBA. Just because he refused to chuck up a double-teamed jumper doesn't change this. In fact, it only further confirms it.

Im still on the whole potentially getting Pau thing...would the Bobcats want a Boozer for Maggette swap? Theyre missing out on Davis and could be looking at Gilchrist (a SF) with their pick. This not only helps us out by adding an expiring SF to take Dengs place after he's traded for Pau, but it also helps with getting the Bobcats out of that protected area for the pick we own.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 03:54 PM)
I don't really see why it would change. LeBron is far and away the best player in the NBA. Just because he refused to chuck up a double-teamed jumper doesn't change this. In fact, it only further confirms it.

Because Lebron doesn't have the mental make-up to take over games like Durant just did and it's being proven over and over again. Durant scored 18 pts in the fourth despite everything the Spurs did. Lebron would never do that. He'd choose to let someone else try and win the game.

Would you rather have Lebron or Durant with the ball needing a bucket to win a game? I'm going with Durant.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 04:18 PM)
Because Lebron doesn't have the mental make-up to take over games like Durant just did and it's being proven over and over again. Durant scored 18 pts in the fourth despite everything the Spurs did. Lebron would never do that. He'd choose to let someone else try and win the game.

Would you rather have Lebron or Durant with the ball needing a bucket to win a game? I'm going with Durant.

Yeah, it's not like he single-handedly beat the Pistons down 3-2 in the conference finals by scoring 29 of his team's last 30 points or anything. Oh wait...

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 04:18 PM)

Your feelings on LeBron are quite bogus.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)
Your feelings on LeBron are quite bogus.

Dude. Whats with being snippy and the personal attacks. There have been way too many lately. You don't have to type in absolutes and picking the guy who is arguably the 2nd best player in the league over Lebron isn't that big of a deal. It isn't as if he's saying he'd rather have Joakim Noah. And while I think most people pick Lebron, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a chunk of people in the league that would take Durant over LBJ. Durant isn't a primma donna, he's a better scorer, and he's younger. That said, Lebron is a better passer (and defender) and a more gifted all around player.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)
Yeah, it's not like he single-handedly beat the Pistons down 3-2 in the conference finals by scoring 29 of his team's last 30 points or anything. Oh wait...

The Pistons weren't the 2012 Spurs.

And how many times has he disappeared in the 4th quarter of important games? Not just had a bad game, but disappeared, refused to shoot the ball, refused to take big shots? How many times does he rely on chucking up 20 foot fall away jump shots that he misses more often than he makes.

I said he was the best all around player in the game. I'd just take Durant at this point. He's stronger mentally, isn't a self-centered ass, and he's younger. Oh, and he can play basketball pretty good too.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 05:00 PM)

And how many times has he disappeared in the 4th quarter of important games? Not just had a bad game, but disappeared, refused to shoot the ball, refused to take big shots? How many times does he rely on chucking up 20 foot fall away jump shots that he misses more often than he makes.

I said he was the best all around player in the game. I'd just take Durant at this point. He's stronger mentally, isn't a self-centered ass, and he's younger. Oh, and he can play basketball pretty good too.

The pistons were pretty f***ing good back when Lebron did that.

You're right, that Pistons' team was way better defensively than the 2012 Spurs. This Spurs' team is good because of their offense, they're barely even top-10 in defensive efficiency.

Everyone has their down times, except for MJ, but Lebron gets more s*** about his failures than everyone else combined. Lebron was solid against Boston and Chicago last year, not so much against Dallas. He was really good against Orlando a few years back but his team still lost. Kobe went 7-24 in game 7 of the finals and has consistently missed more shots late than anyone, but instead of getting s*** like Lebron he's Mr. Clutch because he rode Shaq to 3 rings and his teammates bailed him out that game.

Durant takes just as many jumpers as Lebron, and he hasn't exactly saved his team from defeat so far in his career. He's hasn't even won as much as Lebron has so far, we might be saying the same things about him in 3 years. Look at Carmelo Anthony, he had basically the same start to his career and now people don't even think he's a real star player anymore.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

lmao. It's people like you that make me appreciate LeBron James so much more. So because those Pistons, as you say, aren't the 2012 Spurs, it's somehow less impressive. Guess what? LeBron didn't have Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka back in '07 when he was leading a severely under-manned Cavs team to the finals. LeBron is putting up numbers that rival any of Jordan's best playoff runs. And he's doing it with basically no help. Wade looks like '06 Wade for a couple games, then for others he looks old, broken down and tired. No Bosh for the last 2 rounds. Support players that you never know what you're going to get out of them. But wait, unless LeBron takes and make a game-winner (and he's done that plenty of times), he's no Durant. Please.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 05:39 PM)
This is why I hated Lebron going to Miami, you could see that it was going to kill Lebron's reputation unless they won a bunch of Championships.

And this is also exactly when I don't feel bad for him when he is unfairly piled on and criticized. He brought this on himself.

That said, he is an ultra-elite talent, there is nothing like him in the game.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 05:39 PM)
This is why I hated Lebron going to Miami, you could see that it was going to kill Lebron's reputation unless they won a bunch of Championships.

It doesn't matter where LeBron went. His future reputation & legacy depends on how many championships he wins. That's how it works in the NBA more than any other sport.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 05:36 PM)
lmao. It's people like you that make me appreciate LeBron James so much more. So because those Pistons, as you say, aren't the 2012 Spurs, it's somehow less impressive. Guess what? LeBron didn't have Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka back in '07 when he was leading a severely under-manned Cavs team to the finals. LeBron is putting up numbers that rival any of Jordan's best playoff runs. And he's doing it with basically no help. Wade looks like '06 Wade for a couple games, then for others he looks old, broken down and tired. No Bosh for the last 2 rounds. Support players that you never know what you're going to get out of them. But wait, unless LeBron takes and make a game-winner (and he's done that plenty of times), he's no Durant. Please.

Again: please. Stop assuming I'm calling Lebron a s***ty player. I'm taking the 2nd best player in the game over him if i'm starting a franchise. ZOMG! How terrible!

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 06:37 PM)
It doesn't matter where LeBron went. His future reputation & legacy depends on how many championships he wins. That's how it works in the NBA more than any other sport.

If Lebron stays in Cleveland and wins 1 Championship people are saying hes the best ever.

If he wins 1 in Miami, people are going to say "So what"

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 07:48 PM)
If Lebron stays in Cleveland and wins 1 Championship people are saying hes the best ever.

If he wins 1 in Miami, people are going to say "So what"

Well, that's his fault. Nobody forced him to take his talents to South Beach.