2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 05:06 PM)
That hype thing was just something i threw out there, not what i based my belief off of

-ACC Rookie of the year

-Freshman All American

-Most points in an Ncaa tourney by a UNC freshman in nearly 35 years

-High School Player of the year

-2010 and 11 preseason All American

thats what my belief is based off of

and I said he'll be better than Deng for the rest of his career...I think Deng is only a 15 PPG guy the rest of the way, I can see Barnes being what Deng was a few years ago 17+ ppg

If you want to go off awards that mean nothing at the next level, he wasn't even a finalist for the player of the year. Should we be taking Draymond Green instead?

Take a look at Michael Beasley did in college. The NBA is a totally different game. It's a major step up, damn near everyone in the league was a stud in college.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 06:05 PM)
They said that his injury could take anywhere from 8-12 months to heal, and even then who knows when he actually will trust the knee. They need to build the team as if he isnt coming back next season, and if he does it is all gravy. I dont expect him to come back in January at all

Even if Rose came back in January somehow, it's extremely unlikely he'll step on the court and be an MVP caliber player. If nothing else it'll take him months to even start getting back into basketball shape, let alone getting things like timing, jump shots, rhythm plays back down. If he came back in January, there's a good chance he wouldn't look like Derrick Rose at all during the year.

And if Derrick Rose never looks like Derrick Rose, or Derrick Rose comes back in January and finally starts looking like Derrick Rose around playoff time, we'd still have to deal with the fact that the team would be going into the playoffs having never had Derrick Rose winning games for them, and probably with Luol Deng having missed 2-3 months for the wrist surgery...which means if Derrick somehow was back to his old self around playoff time, the Bulls might still be going in as a 7 seed, or worse if Boozer got hurt like he does every year except last year.

Granted it's a 7 seed no one would want to play...but even if things went well, the Bulls wouldn't be lining up as playoff favorites, or even favorites to get to the conference finals.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 05:06 PM)
That hype thing was just something i threw out there, not what i based my belief off of

-ACC Rookie of the year

-Freshman All American

-Most points in an Ncaa tourney by a UNC freshman in nearly 35 years

-High School Player of the year

-2010 and 11 preseason All American

thats what my belief is based off of

and I said he'll be better than Deng for the rest of his career...I think Deng is only a 15 PPG guy the rest of the way, I can see Barnes being what Deng was a few years ago 17+ ppg

Take a look at what Deng did his freshman year of college. And did you happen to watch the NCAA tournament this year where Harrison Barnes was completely incapable of getting a decent look at the basket without Kendall Marshall setting him up. It was scary how pathetic he was trying to take players off the dribble or creating anything for himself.

I'm not even against the Deng-to-Barnes move for financial reasons (assuming he's even there at 5, which isn't a lock), I'd just be fairly shocked if he averaged more than 10 PPG as a rookie (if he does, it'll probably be of the 11 points/10 shots variety) and am not 100% sure he'll be better than Marvin Williams. It doesn't seem like basketball people do either, otherwise he'd be a consensus #2.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 04:49 PM)
No s***. But we were talking about guys when they were in high school.

It was a joke, the guy changed his name so people would forget how crappy he was. He would have jumped straight to the NBA if he couldve, he came from a trailer park basically. Waste of a recruit, you too kosta koufos

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 04:16 PM)
IMO Barnes will be better than Deng for the rest of his career... I remember when he first came into UNC he was being hyped as a Lebron type prospect.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 04:50 PM)
Anybody who compared him to LeBron should be shot. The hype he got wasn't any higher than any other #1 player in the country. Luol Deng was the consensus #2 player in the country coming out of high school behind LeBron. Basing your belief that he will be better than Deng on his high school hype is unbelievably stupid.

I think being named the first ever freshman preseason All American is getting a lot of hype...I wasnt trying to say he was going to be the next lebron as he obviously is not.

Even if he ends up being a Deng lite from a financial standpoint its the right move, put it this way Barnes alone may not be as good as deng but I think Barnes and the cap space next year that can be put towards a starting SG is better than just Deng...

Forgot to grab the quote from whoever said "if hes there at 5"....If he's not there, then that might mean Bradley Beal or Gilchrist are there. Worst case scenario at #5 is the draft goes Davis-Barnes-Gilchrist-Beal 1-4 at which point we'd have to settle with Lamb. I think Drummond or Robinson go somewhere in the top 5 and the Bulls can take whoever drops to 5.

Harrison Barnes is so darn soft. I can't believe some of the posts I've seen basically asking to tear down the roster just to acquire him. He was the 4th best player on UNC last season, and was a massive disappointment for a majority of his college career.

Harrison Barnes is so darn soft. I can't believe some of the posts I've seen basically asking to tear down the roster just to acquire him. He was the 4th best player on UNC last season, and was a massive disappointment for a majority of his college career.

[/quote

Trading Deng for the #5 pick doesn't tear down the roster, it builds it up. When they're contenders again if they amnesty Boozer along with the Deng trade they would have enough money to sign an impact SG/SF to go along with the #5 pick in the draft, Drose, Taj Gibson, and Noah.

4th best player?? Really?? I dont think your 4th best player leads the team in scoring and is 3rd in rebounding.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 05:39 AM)
4th best player?? Really?? I dont think your 4th best player leads the team in scoring and is 3rd in rebounding.

It's all about UNC's style of play. Kendall Marshall was an incredible pg last year, and Zeller was one of the best post player in the country. However, that team needed Henson's defense to anchor their fast break style. Barnes was just a gunner for them, and never once last year did I watch him and think "this guy is going to be a star in the NBA"

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 11:43 PM)
It's all about UNC's style of play. Kendall Marshall was an incredible pg last year, and Zeller was one of the best post player in the country. However, that team needed Henson's defense to anchor their fast break style. Barnes was just a gunner for them, and never once last year did I watch him and think "this guy is going to be a star in the NBA"

I'm with you, felt the same way since I saw him playing in HS. Hardly even stood out back then

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 05:46 AM)
I'm with you, felt the same way since I saw him playing in HS. Hardly even stood out back then

I still remember watching the "Barnes/Richmond" match-up on an ESPN channel and thinking that McDermott was the best player on the court.

I just feel that under Thibodeau's tutelage, Barnes would become Deng with some ability to create shots. He can learn some stuff from Rip while Noah, Taj, and Rose could help push him. And if Korver is retained, I can see him helping Barnes out a bit.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 11:43 PM)

Dengs wasn't exactly a "star" either, their college numbers are comparable.

A lot of people are saying Barnes potential is Deng, add in the money saved that can be put towards a SG and the trade is a win.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 05:01 PM)
Does anyone actually know when to expect Rose back? I remember when they were saying a January return.

If we destroy the team and he comes back with 30-40 games remaining, the fans will revolt

Even if he gets out on the floor, he won't "be back" for a long time. Just write him off until 2013-2014.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 07:57 AM)
Even if he gets out on the floor, he won't "be back" for a long time. Just write him off until 2013-2014.

We all said that, and if we take Chris Paul as the example, I don't think all is lost. His year back from the ACL injury was not quite Chris Paul-like, but he was still a damn productive point guard. If we can get 90% production from Derrick, this team is still good and it might make him better between the ears to have to play without full physical abilities for a while

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 11:19 PM)

I'm with you. Watching UNC games at the end last season, he would have like 17 points and I couldn't remember them. Just never stood out as much as he should have.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 06:11 PM)
It was a joke, the guy changed his name so people would forget how crappy he was. He would have jumped straight to the NBA if he couldve, he came from a trailer park basically. Waste of a recruit, you too kosta koufos

Yeah. Mullens actually took a step this year, but he's a SG in a big, clumsy, slow center's body - not a good thing.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 09:31 AM)
I'm with you. Watching UNC games at the end last season, he would have like 17 points and I couldn't remember them. Just never stood out as much as he should have.

Reminds me of Luol Deng. You'll watch the game, hardly notice anything, but he'll have a great stat line at the end. If you look hard, you do notice he's playing good defense...not sure about Barnes' defense though.