2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 10:35 PM)
Oh please, people watch the NBA for the stars. Its the only real sport thats completely star driven.

They're watching for LEBRON and I'm uncertain whether that will last now that he's in the club of championship winners.

I know so many people that are watching the finals just because they don't like LeBron, and these are the type of people that would have never thought much of anything about LeBron if it weren't for the whole decision fiasco. These people are not going to remain fans now. They'll shrug their shoulders and move on.

I think that's too bad.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 10:39 PM)
They're watching for LEBRON and I'm uncertain whether that will last now that he's in the club of championship winners.

I know so many people that are watching the finals just because they don't like LeBron, and these are the type of people that would have never thought much of anything about LeBron if it weren't for the whole decision fiasco. These people are not going to remain fans now. They'll shrug their shoulders and move on.

I think that's too bad.

Ive got news for ya, the Heat will be in the playoffs next year and those same people will be back rooting for them to lose.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 10:36 PM)
I watch the NBA because NCAA is over and so is football. Something has to fill that sports hole.

I watch Illinois, but it's hard for me to get really into it. As soon as you get a good player, he leaves for the NBA. I hate watching and realizing that I'm not seeing the sport played at its highest level.

College football is the same way with the added bonus that the system of determining the champion is completely stupid.

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 10:40 PM)
Ive got news for ya, the Heat will be in the playoffs next year and those same people will be back rooting for them to lose.

I'm not sure of that. I feel like the whole point was keeping LeBron out of the championship ring club. I don't think the super casual not really basketball fans are going to keep paying attention.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 10:41 PM)
I watch Illinois, but it's hard for me to get really into it. As soon as you get a good player, he leaves for the NBA. I hate watching and realizing that I'm not seeing the sport played at its highest level.

College football is the same way with the added bonus that the system of determining the champion is completely stupid.

Thats what I dont get, who care about the player in college basketball.. Yes, I want them to get good ones, but I just want Illinois to win period. Doesnt matter if they only have a guy for one season.

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 10:43 PM)
Thats what I dont get, who care about the player in college basketball.. Yes, I want them to get good ones, but I just want Illinois to win period. Doesnt matter if they only have a guy for one season.

The lack of continuity just turns me off. That and the fact that anyone would rather go to some s*** hole like the University of Kentucky over the University of Illinois for such silly reasons (prestige, payments)

Pros and college are different. You see a lot more exotic things in college, a lot of different offense/defense match ups. Especially in the NBA its a handful of plays, its fun to watch superstars, but there is also something fun watching the different college systems go up against each other (whether its football or basketball).

A lot of times NBA is hard to watch, its just pick and roll or iso, there is something fun about watching a small school try and beat a powerhouse with a barrage of 3s, or watching Duke lose to anyone.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 11:47 PM)
LeBron earned this one, but it sure irks me as a Bulls fan that we didn't even get a crack at Miami and we likely won't get a legitimate shot at them next year either.

Had one last year against a weaker Heat team.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 10:51 PM)
Had one last year against a weaker Heat team.

I like seeing the games played instead of going off previous results. We weren't the same team either and I'd imagine there's a good reason we once again led the league in wins. Unfortunately everything that could have gone wrong, did. The world shall never know.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 10:47 PM)
LeBron earned this one, but it sure irks me as a Bulls fan that we didn't even get a crack at Miami and we likely won't get a legitimate shot at them next year either.

THIS.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 10:54 PM)
Now we can start talking about how the Bulls will disappoint us all in the draft.

If we don't get Anthony Davis I'm disappointed.

Regular season records dont matter except to hope to get 1 more home game against Miami to negate their built in free throw advantage. Unlike the Bulls, the Heat dont destroy their players in the regular season to win meaningless games.

Even with a completely healthy Bulls team, they arent really significantly better than OKC and OKC just got beat in 5.

Lebron has been the best player in the world for a while now. Was an anomaly that he didn't have a ring prior to this....still seems cheap that he sold out to go to Miami and joined the others to finally have to get it.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 11:10 PM)
Sooooo, why is it not ok to hate Lebron anymore? He was the one who guaranteed seven rings or whatever it was. Now all is forgotten because he got one? f*** outta here...

I'm with this.

So for one season, he finally justified his stupid ass nicknames?

Unless he wins his eight rings like he said, he still fails, because he said it.

Also, this Finals told me Wade is close to done.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 11:03 PM)
Unless he gets seven more, he's still a failure to me.

I can't stand him.

Beat me to it. Wake me up when he has his "not seven" titles.

Took the easy way 2 years ago and got a championship. Congrats.

it was so refreshing to be in a Chicago bar full of silent frat boys as my hometown team celebrated an NBA championship. everyone wants to say that lebron will never be jordan, i say, who cares? jordan was like 20 years ago, let me enjoy the moment for christsakes

chicagoans act like when lebron does his little powder throwing thing before each game that he's actually tossing michael jordans ashes into the air.

Edited by flippedoutpunk

This was inevitable. You don't put three talents of this caliber together in a league that eats, sleeps, drinks and s***s superstars and not win. I don't understand why anybody would suddenly lose interest now that the Heat have won. Sounds like sour grapes to me. As for LeBron, there's really nothing left to say. He's one of the ten best players to ever play the game and will likely garner legitimate GOAT discussion by the time he hits 30. To do what he did this year. This f***ed up, shortened season in which guys like Dirk Nowitzki, last year's finals MVP, admittedly came into out of shape (of course, that was ok because he's dirk and nobody hates him), LeBron was beast from day one. People want to talk about he took the easy road to win. Again, that's just emotional hatred and laziness on the part of fans. Yes, winning in Cleveland would've been amazing and the more romantic story. But here are the facts:

Wade missed 17 games this year and coasted in about a dozen others. He was up and down all playoffs. Sure, Wade is by far the most talented teammate LeBron has ever had. But this was far from '06 Wade or even '09 Wade that won the scoring title. Chris Bosh missed 18 games (9 regular season, 9 playoffs). He came back and obviously made them better. They likely don't win without him. But still. This wasn't all-star Chris Bosh this postseason. The Heat have undoubtedly the worst C rotation the game has ever seen. Joel Anthony? Ronny Turiaf? Udonis Haslem? GMAFB. The rest of this roster is just garbage. Their guys have their moments. But c'mon now. This roster 4-12 is pretty embarrassing (and the only legitimate reason that anybody here had to believe the Bulls could beat the Heat). This was LeBron's show. Period. End of story.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 02:45 AM)
This was inevitable. You don't put three talents of this caliber together in a league that eats, sleeps, drinks and s***s superstars and not win. I don't understand why anybody would suddenly lose interest now that the Heat have won. Sounds like sour grapes to me. As for LeBron, there's really nothing left to say. He's one of the ten best players to ever play the game and will likely garner legitimate GOAT discussion by the time he hits 30. To do what he did this year. This f***ed up, shortened season in which guys like Dirk Nowitzki, last year's finals MVP, admittedly came into out of shape (of course, that was ok because he's dirk and nobody hates him), LeBron was beast from day one. People want to talk about he took the easy road to win. Again, that's just emotional hatred and laziness on the part of fans. Yes, winning in Cleveland would've been amazing and the more romantic story. But here are the facts:

Wade missed 17 games this year and coasted in about a dozen others. He was up and down all playoffs. Sure, Wade is by far the most talented teammate LeBron has ever had. But this was far from '06 Wade or even '09 Wade that won the scoring title. Chris Bosh missed 18 games (9 regular season, 9 playoffs). He came back and obviously made them better. They likely don't win without him. But still. This wasn't all-star Chris Bosh this postseason. The Heat have undoubtedly the worst C rotation the game has ever seen. Joel Anthony? Ronny Turiaf? Udonis Haslem? GMAFB. The rest of this roster is just garbage. Their guys have their moments. But c'mon now. This roster 4-12 is pretty embarrassing (and the only legitimate reason that anybody here had to believe the Bulls could beat the Heat). This was LeBron's show. Period. End of story.

Can I suggest username change? James4Life ;)