2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 02:55 AM)
Can I suggest username change? James4Life ;)

You can if you want. I was 19-years old when I joined this board. I'll be 29 in less than 2 months and I see things completely different now. I've learned to check my emotions when it comes to sports. I used to piss on Kobe Bryant all the time because I didn't like him and I hated that he was even mentioned in the same half sentence with Michael Jordan. But as time has gone on, I've learned to appreciate Kobe's greatness and he most certainly does belong in the conversation. Michael Jordan is the GOAT. But how close-minded is it to say that there could never be somebody better? That's boring as f***. I'm not saying LeBron will be better. But at his age (he's basically injury-proof), his skill-set, his physical prowess and what he's already accomplished, why the hell not? Outside of just not wanting it to happen?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 03:09 AM)
But how close-minded is it to say that there could never be somebody better? That's boring as f***. I'm not saying LeBron will be better. But at his age (he's basically injury-proof), his skill-set, his physical prowess and what he's already accomplished, why the hell not? Outside of just not wanting it to happen?

The talent/skill set is there.

Edited by justBLAZE

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 03:09 AM)
Michael Jordan is the GOAT. But how close-minded is it to say that there could never be somebody better? That's boring as f***. I'm not saying LeBron will be better. But at his age (he's basically injury-proof), his skill-set, his physical prowess and what he's already accomplished, why the hell not? Outside of just not wanting it to happen?

Because he just doesn't have that mindset/mentality. Plain and simple. It's obvious enough.

Not doubting he is the most gifted player in the history of the game, though. And this is what he positioned himself for by placing himself in what he perceived as his best (easiest?) chance to win rings. It'll just be interesting what happens next now that their is a very clear, obvious contender in a young oklahoma city team. It'll be fun to see what they take from this and how they bounce back.

Since you enjoy Jordan comparisons, who's to say this isn't Durant's "getting beat down by the bad boys pistons" moment that leads to their dynasty rather than the heat? Why the hell not?

Get well soon Pooh :(

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 04:32 AM)
Because he just doesn't have that mindset/mentality. Plain and simple. It's obvious enough.

Not doubting he is the most gifted player in the history of the game, though. And this is what he positioned himself for by placing himself in what he perceived as his best (easiest?) chance to win rings. It'll just be interesting what happens next now that their is a very clear, obvious contender in a young oklahoma city team. It'll be fun to see what they take from this and how they bounce back.

Since you enjoy Jordan comparisons, who's to say this isn't Durant's "getting beat down by the bad boys pistons" moment that leads to their dynasty rather than the heat? Why the hell not?

Get well soon Pooh :(

Are you a licensed psychologist now? You know the inner workings of LeBron James? lol. It's a shame there was no internet, etc back in the 80's. Before 1991, MJ was a glorified ballhog who chastised his teammates without mercy and remorse and got coaches fired (doug collins). LeBron was 31/7/6 his third year. The Cavs did a woeful job of putting together a supporting cast to compliment their superstar. That's why they didn't win. Not because of LeBron's lack of mindset. Nobody will ever know what happened to LeBron in the finals last year. But he came back and shut everybody the f*** up. Far as Durant, he's just not LeBron. Not even close, really. LeBron can get his 30 just like Durant does. And LeBron is by far the better defender, rebounder and playmaker. And Harden and Ibaka are both going to get paid soon. The Thunder are the west favorites for next year. After that, it's a crapshoot.

Edited by Jordan4life

Oh, and speaking of emotions - here's part of Dan Gilbert's pathetic rant that I'm sure everybody remembers after LeBron chose the Heat:

You simply don’t deserve this kind of cowardly betrayal.

You have given so much and deserve so much more.

In the meantime, I want to make one statement to you tonight:

“I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER ‘KING’ WINS ONE”

You can take it to the bank.

lmao. You f***ing idiot.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 04:34 PM)
To each their own obviously, but when you have almost 10 years invested into a message board, there has to be a pretty compelling reason to go to the other one. You dont need to change Soxtalk at all, NBA could simply be a sub-forum, like the Buster is a sub-forum of AJ's.

(edit)

That is if you want to drain from this message board. If you want bullstalk as a separate and distinct message board, you need to hit other NBA boards and try and attract new posters.

This is head on. We'd like to actually attract people who are Bulls fans first. If you know any, please pass the board on to them. We want to build a distinctly Bulls audience.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 11:10 PM)
Sooooo, why is it not ok to hate Lebron anymore? He was the one who guaranteed seven rings or whatever it was. Now all is forgotten because he got one? f*** outta here...

So I assume when Michael stood on the scorer's table in the UC and put up fingers for championships 6, 7, 8, and 9, and didn't win 9 championships, that you've held it against him, right?

It's so funny to see fellow Bulls fans have so little understanding of how much of a dick Jordan was, just because he was ours, and then refuse to enjoy anything LeBron.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 04:32 AM)
Because he just doesn't have that mindset/mentality.

That changed this year. That f***ing changed this year and he grew up. If that wasn't obvious, then I don't know what else to tell you. LBJ finally looked like he wanted it, and that was enough for me.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 09:39 AM)
So I assume when Michael stood on the scorer's table in the UC and put up fingers for championships 6, 7, 8, and 9, and didn't win 9 championships, that you've held it against him, right?

It's so funny to see fellow Bulls fans have so little understanding of how much of a dick Jordan was, just because he was ours, and then refuse to enjoy anything LeBron.

I don't have to enjoy watching, but I'm not going to give teams grief for celebrating when they win a title. But you don't have to make me like how this came together, it doesn't change my opinion of this group of players, and I'm quite glad I didn't watch this NBA finals.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 08:39 AM)

I mean that's kind of how sports work, no?

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 08:49 AM)
I mean that's kind of how sports work, no?

I think the fact that damn near the whole world loved MJ while LeBron is perhaps the most hated star today speaks volumes, about something at least.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)
I think the fact that damn near the whole world loved MJ while LeBron is perhaps the most hated star today speaks volumes, about something at least.

What's funny about that is off the court, there's a good chance LeBron is a better person than MJ.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 09:04 AM)
What's funny about that is off the court, there's a good chance LeBron is a better person than MJ.

That's what's great about sports, I could really give a rats ass and I'm sure many others are the same way. Not just in the MJ/Lebron scenario but with professional athletes in general.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 09:04 AM)

I would have to say that there's a 100% chance of this being the case. If camera phones and twitter existed in the 80s and 90s, Michael would have had many Tiger Woods moments.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 10:07 AM)
I would have to say that there's a 100% chance of this being the case. If camera phones and twitter existed in the 80s and 90s, Michael would have had many Tiger Woods moments.

The question, of course, is whether or not a guy can simply be smart enough to avoid them. Michael did a decent job of covering his tracks with the things that he did do...it's possible he might have learned even more quickly that he needed to keep the "pregame gambling" under control

I did not realize prior to this series that Scott Brooks was capable of such blatant stupidity as a coach. His insistence on using Kendrick Perkins despite the fact that I'm unsure if he contributed a single positive play in the entire Finals was mind blowing. Not too mention the stubbornness to stick with the double teams of LBJ despite the fact that he was dropping dimes for wide open 3s possession after possession.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 09:27 AM)
I did not realize prior to this series that Scott Brooks was capable of such blatant stupidity as a coach. His insistence on using Kendrick Perkins despite the fact that I'm unsure if he contributed a single positive play in the entire Finals was mind blowing. Not too mention the stubbornness to stick with the double teams of LBJ despite the fact that he was dropping dimes for wide open 3s possession after possession.

It's funny that Perkins played so much while Joel Anthony never took his warm up off. Someone got the hint.

Didn't realize Perkins was the second highest paid player on Thunder.

This. I think we put that whole team on a pedestal when in reality Kevin Durant is amazing and the rest are a notch or more below.

Very classy of Brooks to talk to his troops in the last timeout, if anyone saw that replayed on ESPN. Said "they beat us fair and square" and wanted to make sure that every Thunder player took the loss gracefully, congratulating the Heat.

With the way LeBron dominated these playoffs, I have to wonder if he needed "superstars" alongside him to win it. Wade in particular still had some great games, but these playoffs were all LeBron. Could he have won in Cleveland on a team that would have the money to invest in role players instead of superstars?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 09:43 AM)
This. I think we put that whole team on a pedestal when in reality Kevin Durant is amazing and the rest are a notch or more below.

I gotta disagree there. Westbrook has his limitations and stupid decisions but he's a f***ing beast and one of the premier young guards in the league right now

Apparently Perkins was playing with a torn groin muscle for the last 3 rounds of the playoffs.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 10:02 AM)
Apparently Perkins was playing with a torn groin muscle for the last 3 rounds of the playoffs.

He probably should have been sitting his big ass on the bench then

Until proven otherwise there are 2 coaches in the NBA who I think actually add wins to their team, Doc Rivers and Popovich. Every other coach is either neutral or a negative.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 10:16 AM)
Until proven otherwise there are 2 coaches in the NBA who I think actually add wins to their team, Doc Rivers and Popovich. Every other coach is either neutral or a negative.

George Karl should slap you in the face.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 10:16 AM)

Call me a nuthugger, but I am not sure if the Chicago Bulls make it into the championship conversation without Tom Thibodeau.

He was a negative in this year's playoffs, though. He handled the shake up from the injuries worse than the players.