2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 12:59 AM)
I LOVE the dunk on Weis because he went up and over, but it was an international game against France. The dunk on Zo was awesome, but VC kinda went in sideways and pushed him out of the way. Still incredible.

Yeah, but over a 7 footer with that extension, leaping, and viciousness.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 01:01 AM)
Yeah, but over a 7 footer with that extension, leaping, and viciousness.

That's what blake lacks here. Viciousness. He doesn't even go at it hard, just jumps straight up and throws it down hard, which is why he doesn't (can't actually) attack the rim in this situation. Its an amazing play, but to me, no where near the top dunks of all time for that reason.

QUOTE (MAX @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 01:06 AM)
That's what blake lacks here. Viciousness. He doesn't even go at it hard, just jumps straight up and throws it down hard, which is why he doesn't (can't actually) attack the rim in this situation. Its an amazing play, but to me, no where near the top dunks of all time for that reason.

No, Blake has viciousness and air. What he doesn't have is finesse.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 01:10 AM)
No, Blake has viciousness and air. What he doesn't have is finesse.

First of all, that's just your opinion. You state it like a fact.

And I don't agree. If he did, he would attack the hoop with the direction of his body, not just his arm, which he also barely attacks with.

QUOTE (MAX @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 01:15 AM)
First of all, that's just your opinion. You state it like a fact.

And I don't agree. If he did, he would attack the hoop with the direction of his body, not just his arm, which he also barely attacks with.

Sorry, I didn't mean it to come off as a statement of fact.

And for me, viciousness is the downward power of a dunk, when you can hear it, it's nasty, but I definitely understand your point.

QUOTE (MAX @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 01:23 AM)
Well I'm sure I'm in the minority. But I think a great dunk has a good horizontal component too.

I agree. I'm a bigger fan when you go over and through someone rather than jumping high and chucking it at the hoop. I still think Blake's best is the spin into a dunk on Gallinari.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 12:33 AM)
Much like Jim Hendry, I've got to express some sympathy for the guy. He's been trying to balance buildilng a winning team with keeping a superstar happy and outsourcing some of the decision making to that superstar. Not a simple task.

3 main faults I've had with him over time;

1 - Overpaying guys on the MLE. He loves targeting players after their rookie deals have finished and then signing them to MLE+ deals. The Hedo Turkogly contract I'll give you was a fantastic signing (5/29). Mickael Pietrus (5/29) and Glen Davis (4/26) have not been. Jason Richardson for 4/25 looks like another bad deal right now.

2 - The 2 big trades he's made since we made the NBA Finals. Getting an aging Vince Carter for Courtney Lee (who I think would be starting for a few teams if he wasn't in Houston right now), albeit Ryan Anderson has become the best player in that deal. Killed our chemistry though. And the Arenas trade, that's Otis picking up his old Golden State buddies.

3 - Not being able to find that 2nd superstar, overpaying for Lewis, and we've basically had no-one come out of the draft since J.J Redick 4 years ago.

And if it was up to him, Dwight Howard would be a Net, and Brook Lopez (pre foot injury) and Gerald Wallace would be Magic players right now.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 01:40 AM)
Apparently so, since most of those dunks were from the 90's, it just seems like a very stuck up mindset. There has been plenty of amazing dunks since then.

I don't see anything special in that barkley dunk, since he didn't even dunk on anyone. The Kemp and Dr J dunk might have an argument. But I really think the Jordan dunk is more of a historically symbolism dunk (Jordan over Ewing), and a honor for him being the GOAT. Take out the names in that play, and there were quite a few facial dunks like that just from the past decade.

But I haven't never seen a more powerful and athletic dunk, ever, like the dunk tonight. Not only did he dunk on Perkins, he took off from a long distance, jumped so high his head was above the rim, and his arm was fully extended, and threw down a thunderous dunk. the contortion of o his legs just made it more aesthetically pleasing.

If you don't think this dunk can touch any of those dunk, you need to stop living in another era.

You know Quinarvy is only like 18 right

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 12:11 AM)
Oh I agree. Just saying. They got a big road win against a very good Denver team last night and pretty much obliterated the Thunder tonight. If Paul can stay on the court from this point on, they're the best team, IMO, in that division with upside.

Their starters are good, but they have a very thin team. Ryan Gomes and Randy Foye are both awful, and while Reggie Evans is an elite rebounder, that's literally all he does. When healthy, they have a nice sixth man in Mo Williams (who, of course, is nowhere near as good as he's been so far this season), but other than that their bench is pretty terrible. Obviously their starters are going to take them to the playoffs and might even make some noise in the first round, but I'd be surprised if they went any further than that without seriously rectifying their support. Add in the fact that Vinny Del Negro is an awful coach and yeah, I'm not expecting them to go too far.

Basically, I have them in the same tier as the Wolves. Their starters are definitely better (mostly because of the black holes caused by Wes Johnson and Darko Milicic), but I'm not terribly convinced they're a much better overall team, ESPECIALLY when factoring in coaching. When fully healthy they're probably a better team than Minnesota, but I don't think the difference is as big as the media generally suggests. Interestingly enough, Hollinger's power rankings agree with this.

edit: Of course, the Clippers have a huge advantage over Minnesota based simply on division. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Clip end up the 4 seed, if only because their only competition in the Pacific (the Lakers) is also a mess right now.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 04:24 AM)
3 main faults I've had with him over time;

1 - Overpaying guys on the MLE. He loves targeting players after their rookie deals have finished and then signing them to MLE+ deals. The Hedo Turkogly contract I'll give you was a fantastic signing (5/29). Mickael Pietrus (5/29) and Glen Davis (4/26) have not been. Jason Richardson for 4/25 looks like another bad deal right now.

2 - The 2 big trades he's made since we made the NBA Finals. Getting an aging Vince Carter for Courtney Lee (who I think would be starting for a few teams if he wasn't in Houston right now), albeit Ryan Anderson has become the best player in that deal. Killed our chemistry though. And the Arenas trade, that's Otis picking up his old Golden State buddies.

3 - Not being able to find that 2nd superstar, overpaying for Lewis, and we've basically had no-one come out of the draft since J.J Redick 4 years ago.

And if it was up to him, Dwight Howard would be a Net, and Brook Lopez (pre foot injury) and Gerald Wallace would be Magic players right now.

here's my issue DB...

I look at every one of those and feel like it's a "Trying to find that last piece next to Howard" role. He's trying to keep Dwight happy, convince Dwight he can win in Orlando, and build a team that can "Win now" at any cost. Those deals all look like crappy deals...they're all overpays, but if the other alternative is not spending money and letting Dwight think that the team won't spend money to put players around him, then the other alternative is worse. Same with those big trades...if the guys aren't working that curently are on the Magic, those are desperation, hail mary "Maybe guy X can recover his former glory next to Dwight" deals.

I don't think you make any of those deals if you don't have the specter of "Departing Dwight" hanging around your neck. Just like Cleveland doesn't make a bunch of their bad deals if they didn't have the fear of "Departing James" hanging around theirs.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 08:25 AM)
Deservedly so.

Why does he deserve it? At least he didn't walk away from it just to avoid contact and the potential embarrassment.

Plus it was a really, really, really obvious offensive foul on Griffin for clearing out with his off hand. Doesn't make the dunk itself less impressive, but something that obvious should be called.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 08:27 AM)
Plus it was a really, really, really obvious offensive foul on Griffin for clearing out with his off hand. Doesn't make the dunk itself less impressive, but something that obvious should be called.

Pretty much every impressive Blake Griffin dunk has involved him using his off-hand to abuse the head of the other player. I'm not exactly sure why it's allowed.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 07:40 AM)
But I haven't never seen a more powerful and athletic dunk, ever, like the dunk tonight. Not only did he dunk on Perkins, he took off from a long distance, jumped so high his head was above the rim, and his arm was fully extended, and threw down a thunderous dunk. the contortion of o his legs just made it more aesthetically pleasing.

I don't think it was thunderous at all. The distance, height, and 'get the hell out of my way' factor were great, but the actual dunk was awkward because he was too far away - only his fingertips brushed the rim. It reminded me of the Howard Superman dunk where he threw it in more than anything.

I'll take Pippen vs Ewing.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 08:33 AM)
Pretty much every impressive Blake Griffin dunk has involved him using his off-hand to abuse the head of the other player. I'm not exactly sure why it's allowed.

NBA refs making confusing and conflicting calls and non calls? Say it aint so

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 08:49 AM)
This is accepted, but the best answer would have been NBA

I know you follow the NBA enough that I don't even have to state either reason. Its just fun poking at the ridiculousness of the NBA sometimes, despite how great it is.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 08:46 AM)
I don't think it was thunderous at all. The distance, height, and 'get the hell out of my way' factor were great, but the actual dunk was awkward because he was too far away - only his fingertips brushed the rim. It reminded me of the Howard Superman dunk where he threw it in more than anything.

I'll take Pippen vs Ewing.

Agreed. I didn't get all the love over his "dunk" last year, when he threw the ball in the hoop. I'll take Taj posterizing Wade over last nights dunk:

And Taj's put back dunk there is one of the nastiest.

I'll always remember Kevin Johnson's dunk over Hakeem. That's gotta be up there just for the size differences.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 12:02 AM)
I think that might be the best in game dunk of all time, even tops the Jordan over Ewing dunk, which is popularly recognized with the honor

Great dunk but I've seen better...gotta also take into account who's the dunkee, the best one I've seen the last few years involved K Bryant posterizing D Howard.