2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

The front office isn't THAT conservative. Remember we are only a year and a half from the team selling off pieces so they could make a run at 2 max players (LeBron plus one) and after extending Rose and possibly Noah would've pushed them way into luxury tax territory. They failed, but they gave it the best effort they could've been reasonably expected to, and IIRC Forman has already looked into the possibility of getting Howard at least.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 04:58 PM)
The front office isn't THAT conservative. Remember we are only a year and a half from the team selling off pieces so they could make a run at 2 max players (LeBron plus one) and after extending Rose and possibly Noah would've pushed them way into luxury tax territory. They failed, but they gave it the best effort they could've been reasonably expected to, and IIRC Forman has already looked into the possibility of getting Howard at least.

Fair enough, I guess I am saying that I am used to the conservative nature and won't be broken hearted if it doesn't happen

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 04:58 PM)

I'm not giving the Bulls credit for that. Half the league was gearing up for the free agent class of 2010. This organization dropped the ball multiple times in regards to KG, Gasol and to a lesser degree Kobe. They severely overrated guys like Hinrich, Gordon and even Deng. The '07 Bulls with Gasol in place of Gordon or Deng get to the finals. I believe the Bulls would not want to part with the package necessary to get Howard, even if it was possible.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 06:02 PM)
Fair enough, I guess I am saying that I am used to the conservative nature and won't be broken hearted if it doesn't happen

I'm trying to say that the "Doesn't happen" part is very unlikely to be due to the Bulls FO being conservative.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 05:13 PM)
I'm not giving the Bulls credit for that. Half the league was gearing up for the free agent class of 2010. This organization dropped the ball multiple times in regards to KG, Gasol and to a lesser degree Kobe. They severely overrated guys like Hinrich, Gordon and even Deng. The '07 Bulls with Gasol in place of Gordon or Deng get to the finals. I believe the Bulls would not want to part with the package necessary to get Howard, even if it was possible.

And you know this how? How do you know the package for Gasol or KG wasn't Deng + Gordon + others? Then we would have just swapped places with Memphis or Minnesota with a star player and s*** else. It's the reason why Kobe didn't want to come here.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 06:13 PM)

I agree with J4L, our biggest FA signing has been Boozer and no blockbuster trades to speak of...

Even IF Howard is there for the taking, Gar-Pax won't pull the trigger but I wouldn't mind eating crow if they do snag Howard but it ain't happening.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 04:45 PM)
(yes YOU Quinarvy ;) )

:lol:

I already pointed out my extreme bias of loving Noah and hating Dwight.

That and I hate the thought of overpaying for Dwight when the best deal that could be offered would be Bynum/Filler, Lopez/Brooks, or crap from Dallas.

Thats cool Thibs just quit on the team when they are down 12 with 5 minutes left and leave Scal in.

The guy plays starters untl the bitter end when they have a 10+ lead, but when you have a chance to come back and win a big game, you just are cool with losing.

f*** that.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 08:37 PM)
That's what he does. He fattens up on the cupcakes of the league. Legitimate teams? Shadow.

I've been wrong a lot on these boards. But I have never been more on the money about a basketball player than I was about Boozer before the Bulls signed him. I absolutely despise Boozer as a basketball player.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 06:57 PM)
I agree with J4L, our biggest FA signing has been Boozer and no blockbuster trades to speak of...

Even IF Howard is there for the taking, Gar-Pax won't pull the trigger but I wouldn't mind eating crow if they do snag Howard but it ain't happening.

The Bulls signed Boozer because he was all that was left for exactly the reasons I said. Has nothing to do with them being too conservative. Bulls fans like to act like there was someone other than Boozer available in 2010, there just wasn't.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 12:47 AM)
If Orlando didn't have to worry about "Keeping Dwight", then after the Finals, they should have made the same effort they did make to sign Hedo. When they failed to sign him, then they had to look and see a much weaker roster, especially after the next season when Lewis's dropoff really started to show (and that was when he had the roid suspension as well, right?).

That might have been a great time to play for cap space and picks. The previous incarnation had reached its peak, and although Lewis's contract was hard to move, it might well have been clearable, at least a year at a time. Or worst case scenario, you get to a point where a new CBA comes along and then you can amnesty the last year. The other guys, like Reddick, etc., you could move in sign and trades to try to clear more salary, until you put yourself in a position where you can be a threat to sign someone like Deron Williams or Chris Paul if they become a Free Agent.

The problem with doing so is that it means 2-3 years of maybe being in the edge of the lottery or at the back end of the eastern conference, which isn't a fun place to be, but with the contracts they had for aging guys, they could have pulled it off and still had a 27 year old Dwight Howard with a rebuilt team around him.

Instead, they have to compete every year to keep Dwight happy. Thus, they start making more and more desperate, high risk moves, to see if they can pull off a competitive season every year, and they have no realistic way to escape salary cap hades.

Otis usually overpays his guys to keep them around (Gortat and J-Rich probably are 2 good examples). I just don't think there way any way he was going to go 5/55 on Hedo, and yet now after a season and a half decided to bring back that contract because of the chemistry the Magic lost when Hedo went in the 1st place.

I love what Dallas is doing, yes they just won a championship, but they are in position to be able to sign Deron Williams this off-season. Would have liked Otis to try and do something similiar, and I think most Magic fans are in agreement with that.

I don't think anyone really saw Lewis's decline coming the way it did, and it really killed us, he provided so many matchup problems at the 4, and Hedo likewise at the 3 in his prime.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 11:54 PM)
The Bulls signed Boozer because he was all that was left for exactly the reasons I said. Has nothing to do with them being too conservative. Bulls fans like to act like there was someone other than Boozer available in 2010, there just wasn't.

Pretty much, but David Lee was still out there.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)
boozer is scoring 15.1 ppg this year in 30.8 min while putting up 13 shots per game

gibson is scoring 6.9 ppg this year in 19.3 min while putting up 5.6 shots per game

Give gibson the minutes per game and the shots that boozer gets, and I'm not sure the bolded is true. Is boozer the better offensive player? yes likely, but i dont think its as enormous as the difference in the two players defensively, and the enormous difference in the $$$

Taj is the better near the rim offensive player and that's what you want in a PF. Not a PF who does 15 foot fade aways.