2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan McNeil posted something on his facebook about the Comcast awards and specifically why was Boozer getting one. I replied with a spray on hair joke and it just cascaded from there, it was pretty funny, everyone was joking about how bad his hair looked in Boston.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 10:01 AM)
I'm excited for the inevitable meltdown when Melo gets back. I don't see how these guys play well together. Someone's going to have to give up the shots.

Honestly, this is Mike D'Antoni's offense. THere's no plausible reason why that should be a problem.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 07:52 AM)
Coach D'Antoni @Coach_D_Antoni

Floyd Mayweather thinks Jeremy Lin is overrated, which is funny because Jeremy Lin has managed to be undefeated without ducking anybody.

That's one of the best comebacks I've seen in a long time. Well done coach! :headbang

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 09:02 AM)
Honestly, this is Mike D'Antoni's offense. THere's no plausible reason why that should be a problem.

I disagree. Melo succeeds because he dominates the ball. D'Antoni's offense succeeds when the PG dominates the ball. Something will have to give here, and my guess it will not be Melo. There will be nights where the offense looks great and there will be nights where they just stagnate, I have no doubt. Hot and cold, just like before.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 09:53 AM)
I disagree. Melo succeeds because he dominates the ball. D'Antoni's offense succeeds when the PG dominates the ball. Something will have to give here, and my guess it will not be Melo. There will be nights where the offense looks great and there will be nights where they just stagnate, I have no doubt. Hot and cold, just like before.

I believe Carmelo Anthony is going to thrive working with Jeremy Lin.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 07:52 AM)
Coach D'Antoni @Coach_D_Antoni

Floyd Mayweather thinks Jeremy Lin is overrated, which is funny because Jeremy Lin has managed to be undefeated without ducking anybody.

Not the real D'Antoni but funny none the less.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 10:26 AM)
I believe Carmelo Anthony is going to thrive working with Jeremy Lin.

Things Melo is terrible at: (1) moving without the ball, (2) setting screens/getting others involved in the offense, (3) playing defense. If Lin dominates the PG spot, as he should, then Melo becomes the off-guard that has to create his shot from movement. Good luck. And what happens at the end of the game? Is Lin forgotten about? Obviously he will be, and the ball will be in Melo's hands. But will Knick fans be content with that when you've gotten nothing but W's from Lin taking that lead role, but .500 ball with Melo taking that lead role?

This is similar to the Wade/Lebron can't coexist argument. The difference though is that both Wade and Lebron play defense and run well without the ball. They both dominate games because they can create offense without having the ball in their hands.

It'll be interesting to see if D'Antoni can create a new system to utilize all of the talent he's got. If he sticks with his current system, Melo becomes seconday, and that's a huge waste of talent and money.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 12:41 PM)
I wonder if the people who purchased a Knicks Lin jersey will be able to exchange them for the Erie Bay Hawks jersey he'll be rocking in 3-4 weeks. Or maybe give them a coupon for buy one get one 1/2 price small popcorn at Madison Square Garden.

Based on what?

I just want to see Lin face a real challenge when he isn't confident in himself.

Right now he's balling by oozing confidence and facing crappy teams.

The people he beat for most points in starts all started as rookies and faced better competition most likely (there are 3-4 teams that could qualify for "worst ever" in the Bobcats, Wizards, Nets, and Raptors). He's had a year to work with NBA staff and study players and the league has both great (Bulls, Heat, 76ers) and terrible basketball right now due to the lockout.

What Lin is doing is a amazing, but he's not better than Shaq/AI/MJ as that stupid graphic likes to imply. Once he plays the Heat, Bulls, or 76ers he'll come back to Earth.

Also, that stat is misleading because it's "since the ABA/NBA merger."

Wilts first 5:

43 points

36 points

41 points

30 points

32 points

Shaq had better first 5 games, just not points:

12pts, 18 reb, 3 blocks

22 points, 15 reb, 4 blocks

35 points, 13 reb, 3 blocks

31 points, 21 reb, 4 blocks