2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 12:24 PM)
Davis could be Kevin Garnett

He could be, but he won't be. I think people forget how dominant KG was in his prime. And he has a very consistent jumper out to 18-20 feet.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 02:15 PM)
He could be, but he won't be. I think people forget how dominant KG was in his prime. And he has a very consistent jumper out to 18-20 feet.

Where was KG when he was the same age though? His first year in the league, the year you'd compare to Davis currently, KG put up 10.4 ppg and 6.3 rpg. I can't imagine he came into the league as an 18 year old with a very developed post game or that very consistent jumper you cite.

Steve,

I disagree. Davis should be a Center, hes an athletic big man, just like Noah. He can dribble the ball, just like Noah. Davis jump shot may be slightly better than Noah, but in my opinion, its pretty overrated. He probably has a better vertical than Noah too.

That being said, he could be a 4 on a team with a top 10 Center, I just cant imagine most teams having a better 5 on defense.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 12:25 PM)
Where was KG when he was the same age though? His first year in the league, the year you'd compare to Davis currently, KG put up 10.4 ppg and 6.3 rpg. I can't imagine he came into the league as an 18 year old with a very developed post game or that very consistent jumper you cite.

Davis is very similar to how KG was in HS. Great leaper, shot blocker, dunker with a pretty good shot with no real consistency. We all have to remember he was a small guard about 2 years ago and only now has started to get ahold on life in the paint.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 05:11 PM)
Davis is very similar to how KG was in HS. Great leaper, shot blocker, dunker with a pretty good shot with no real consistency. We all have to remember he was a small guard about 2 years ago and only now has started to get ahold on life in the paint.

So if he were to develop things like a better post game and midrange game, it wouldn't be unprecedented, but that's the level of step he needs to take to make himself an all-star, and that's a multi-year process.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 03:18 PM)
So if he were to develop things like a better post game and midrange game, it wouldn't be unprecedented, but that's the level of step he needs to take to make himself an all-star, and that's a multi-year process.

He's still raw in that facet because he's been this tall for 2 years. I think he becomes a VERY reliable outside shooter and gets even more dangerous as a shot blocker and evolves into a KG clone. His shot is already pretty good form-wise.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 01:28 PM)
Steve,

I disagree. Davis should be a Center, hes an athletic big man, just like Noah. He can dribble the ball, just like Noah. Davis jump shot may be slightly better than Noah, but in my opinion, its pretty overrated. He probably has a better vertical than Noah too.

That being said, he could be a 4 on a team with a top 10 Center, I just cant imagine most teams having a better 5 on defense.

Davis is going to be a 4 if not a 3 on occasion in the NBA. I don't see him being a 5 at all. He'll get killed guarding big guys who have about 50-75 lbs on him.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 01:28 PM)
Steve,

Brian,

I disagree. Davis should be a Power Forward. And yes, Davis has a much better vertical than Noah. There's zero question about that... none at all.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 03:41 PM)
Davis is going to be a 4 if not a 3 on occasion in the NBA. I don't see him being a 5 at all. He'll get killed guarding big guys who have about 50-75 lbs on him.

He'll put on the weight. He has alot of room to grow and get bigger.

Davis cant play the 3, at all, I dont believe he played that position for 1 minute this season, I actually doubt he played the 4 more than a token amount either.

Just for comparison, according to draft express, Noah was 7 ft, 223 when he entered the NBA.

Draft express has Davis at 6'10, 214

Now onto the idea that Davis can be a 3:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Anthony-Davis-6236/

Davis attempts just over one jump shot per game on average, but has only made 27% of his attempts.

According to Synergy Sports Technology, only 20% of his offense comes off post-up, spot-up or isolation plays, which makes sense considering those are the areas he struggles in the most.

While Davis plays a simple role for Kentucky, he's arguably the most efficient offensive player in college basketball, converting an amazing 67% of his 2-point attempts (which ranks in the top 15 in our database in the past decade) and turning the ball over on just 9% of his possessions. He's one of the best finishers we've seen in recent years, making nearly 80% of his non-post-up attempts around the basket.

His tremendous length, outstanding hands, explosive leaping ability and terrific timing make him a ideal target for lobs.

These comments are exactly what I have seen when Davis has played. The guy would really be a terrible 3, he has no jump shot, no driving ability and no isolation ability.

He could possibly be a 4, but that would only be on a team that has no legitimate 5, because as of now, Davis could arguably be a top 10 C, just based on defense alone. The idea of 4 or 5, really doesnt mean anything, because it depends on the opposing team and situation. In my opinion he will always be a 5, regardless of what you want to call him. His greatest abilities are defensive post protection and will likely match up against the best 4/5 of the other team.

Unless Davis dramatically improves his game, he is not a 3, Im not saying it wont happen, but as of now he has really done nothing to show he is a SF.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 05:06 PM)
Davis cant play the 3, at all, I dont believe he played that position for 1 minute this season, I actually doubt he played the 4 more than a token amount either.

Just for comparison, according to draft express, Noah was 7 ft, 223 when he entered the NBA.

Draft express has Davis at 6'10, 214

Now onto the idea that Davis can be a 3:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Anthony-Davis-6236/

These comments are exactly what I have seen when Davis has played. The guy would really be a terrible 3, he has no jump shot, no driving ability and no isolation ability.

He could possibly be a 4, but that would only be on a team that has no legitimate 5, because as of now, Davis could arguably be a top 10 C, just based on defense alone. The idea of 4 or 5, really doesnt mean anything, because it depends on the opposing team and situation. In my opinion he will always be a 5, regardless of what you want to call him. His greatest abilities are defensive post protection and will likely match up against the best 4/5 of the other team.

Unless Davis dramatically improves his game, he is not a 3, Im not saying it wont happen, but as of now he has really done nothing to show he is a SF.

He was asked to be the 5 in college and deferred to his teammates a lot offensively. I don't think that's very relevant in projecting what he'll be in the NBA. He's a natural 4, but depending on the team and the need he could play the three on occasion. You're completely forgetting that he was a point guard but for the last 2 years after he grew 6 inches in 11 months.

I dont completely forget he was a PG.

Jon Leuer was a PG before growing to 6'10, he had a dramatically better jump shot than Davis, better mid range and better driving ability.

I do not believe hes played 1 minute of 3 at the NBA level.

Ive watched Davis 4-5 games, I dont see him as a 3. Now if you are saying Noah is also a natural 4, then I agree, Davis is a 4. But if Noah is a 5, Davis is a 5. Like I said 4 or 5 really depends on the dynamics of the team, but looking through the NBA, Davis would likely be a 5 on many teams.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 05:54 PM)
Saying Davis might play the 3 in the pros is an absolutely absurd comment.

And he'll be closer to KG than to Marcus Camby.

I said on occasion. Relax.

This Thunder/Heat game is pretty good. This would be a good seven game series. Hopefully it doesnt come to that, but i'm not sure the Heat would be the overwhelming favorite. You can tell the Heat players are starting to get chippy with each other

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 07:32 PM)
I said on occasion. Relax.

This Thunder/Heat game is pretty good. This would be a good seven game series. Hopefully it doesnt come to that, but i'm not sure the Heat would be the overwhelming favorite. You can tell the Heat players are starting to get chippy with each other

I don't think the Heat would stand a chance in the Finals to be honest. The Thunder have multiple superstars and incredible depth, the Heat only have multiple superstars. Plus, the Thunder have hit another gear, if they carry this into the playoffs I don't know that anyone stands a chance.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 08:42 PM)
I don't think the Heat would stand a chance in the Finals to be honest. The Thunder have multiple superstars and incredible depth, the Heat only have multiple superstars. Plus, the Thunder have hit another gear, if they carry this into the playoffs I don't know that anyone stands a chance.

I think the Heat have clearly backed off on the gas pedal the last few weeks. They'll try to hit their next gear when they hit round 1.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 06:08 PM)
speaking of absurd, the Bulls tipoff at 8:30 tomorrow night. That is absurd

Glad Christ died for my sins so I can get tanked Thursday night and have no work Friday! Thanks, JC!

QUOTE (MAX @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 12:41 AM)
What do you guys think of the spurs? I haven't seen them play yet this year.

It's really darn near impossible to know what to think of the Spurs, because Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili might well have another gear that they can turn on during the playoffs.

They're a well constructed team but they won't challenge the Thunder based on what Tony Parker is doing with the rest of the team...but if he can get help from the 2 elder statesmen in the playoffs...that could fuel a serious move.

I'd worry more about their size up against the other teams in the West though. The Lakers, Thunder, and Grizzlies all can put together a better big man/power game than the Spurs can.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 08:38 AM)
What's it gonna take for a ref to call an offensive foul on a big Blake Griffin dunk? On that second one last night, he shot a elbow straight into Gasol's face.

Blake to become not a superstar...