2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 10:44 PM)
Glad to miss the Knicks in 1st round match-up.

Big break for the Bulls. Not that they couldn't beat the Knicks. But they (Knicks) are 17-6 since Mike Woodson took over. Carmelo Anthony is playing some of the best basketball of his career (29.8 PPG in April), Tyson Chandler is a leading DPOY candidate, and they have the perimeter shooting that if they get hot, Smith and Novak in particular, that can give you a ton of problems. Getting the Sixers (their leading scorer is their 6th man) is the equivalent of a first round bye in the NFL. I'll be shocked if the Bulls don't sweep.

I'm looking at this Spurs roster. O.M.G. Popovich is the clear-cut choice for COY. Manu Ginobili has missed more games than Rose. And in the games he's played, he's sported his worst across-the-board numbers since 2004. Tim Duncan is barely half the player he was in his prime. Parker has had his normal good year. But let's break down the rest of this Spurs roster (most of it):

DeJuan Blair: a second round pick, is their starting C at 6'7, in the west.

Danny Green: another second round pick, who had 28 career games played coming into this year.

Patty Mills: are you serious? Where the hell did he come from? Another (late) second round pick.

Kawhi Leonard: did anybody know who this guy was before this season?

Gary Neal: undrafted

These are like their top guys.

The west is clearly better than the east. The west is 156-114 against the east this season. If you narrow it down to only playoff teams, the west's top 8 is 100-44 against the eastern conference (east playoff teams are only 74-70 against the west). This is a severe no-brainer. Thibs did a tremendous job this year. Rose, while great, is nowhere near as valuable (at least in the regular season) as I thought he was. But Popovich, in a much better conference, has been god-like. There's nothing to discuss here. This is almost as easy as LeBron and his third MVP that's coming next month.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 02:06 AM)
I'm looking at this Spurs roster. O.M.G. Popovich is the clear-cut choice for COY. Manu Ginobili has missed more games than Rose. And in the games he's played, he's sported his worst across-the-board numbers since 2004. Tim Duncan is barely half the player he was in his prime. Parker has had his normal good year. But let's break down the rest of this Spurs roster (most of it):

Danny Green: another second round pick, who had 28 career games played coming into this year.

Patty Mills: are you serious? Where the hell did he come from? Another (late) second round pick.

The west is clearly better than the east. The west is 156-114 against the east this season. If you narrow it down to only playoff teams, the west's top 8 is 100-44 against the eastern conference (east playoff teams are only 74-70 against the west). This is a severe no-brainer. Thibs did a tremendous job this year. Rose, while great, is nowhere near as valuable (at least in the regular season) as I thought he was. But Popovich, in a much better conference, has been god-like. There's nothing to discuss here. This is almost as easy as LeBron and his third MVP that's coming next month.

It sounds a lot more like you're a proponent of R.C. Buford for Exec of the Year than Pop as Coach of the Year.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 02:25 AM)
It sounds a lot more like you're a proponent of R.C. Buford for Exec of the Year than Pop as Coach of the Year.

True. But Pop still has to coach and ultimately win or lose with these guys. Nobody cares about executive of the year. Nobody outside of a virgin hermit could name the last five executives of the years. What Pop has done this year with this roster is spectacular.

Full Weekend Schedule:

Saturday, April 28

Philadelphia at Chicago

Game 1 1:00 PM TNT

New York at Miami

Game 1 3:30 PM ABC

Orlando at Indiana

Game 1 7:00 PM ESPN

Dallas at Oklahoma City

Game 1 9:30 PM ESPN

Sunday, April 29

Utah at San Antonio

Game 1 1:00 PM ESPN

Denver at LA Lakers

Game 1 3:30 PM ABC

Boston at Atlanta

Game 1 7:00 PM TNT

LA Clippers at Memphis

Game 1 9:30 PM TNT

Rest of Bulls-Sixers Series:

Game 2 Tuesday 5/1 8:00 TNT

Game 3 Friday 5/4 8:00 ESPN

Game 4 Sunday 5/6 1:00 ABC

Game 5 Tuesday 5/8 TBD

Game 6 Thursday 5/10 TBD

Game 7 Saturday 5/12 TBD

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 01:14 AM)
Big break for the Bulls. Not that they couldn't beat the Knicks. But they (Knicks) are 17-6 since Mike Woodson took over. Carmelo Anthony is playing some of the best basketball of his career (29.8 PPG in April), Tyson Chandler is a leading DPOY candidate, and they have the perimeter shooting that if they get hot, Smith and Novak in particular, that can give you a ton of problems. Getting the Sixers (their leading scorer is their 6th man) is the equivalent of a first round bye in the NFL. I'll be shocked if the Bulls don't sweep.

The Sixers gave the Bulls at least one pounding earlier this year that I recall, although I don't remember if Rose played or not.

But yes, the Bulls need to pound this team and put them away at the very worst in 5 so that they can get a couple extra days off before the Boston rematch.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 08:46 AM)
The Sixers gave the Bulls at least one pounding earlier this year that I recall, although I don't remember if Rose played or not.

But yes, the Bulls need to pound this team and put them away at the very worst in 5 so that they can get a couple extra days off before the Boston rematch.

I don't remember if Rose played, but at the time they were playing way over their heads. They beat the Bulls to go to 16-6. They beat the Lakers a couple days later to go to 18-7 (their high water mark)...and then played 7 games under .500 the rest of the year. Not that you don't know all of this, but that is not the same team at started the season.

Dejuan Blair was an absolute steal of a draft pick. And Green was always a pretty high ceiling guy.

IMO Thibs did a better job because he lost 3 of his starts for a pretty significant amount of the year and still won with a bunch of no name scrubs.

Are your numbers about the east/west playoff teams against other playoff teams only, or the whole division? The bottom of the east is clearly worse than the bottom of the west.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 11:22 AM)
Dejuan Blair was an absolute steal of a draft pick. And Green was always a pretty high ceiling guy.

IMO Thibs did a better job because he lost 3 of his starts for a pretty significant amount of the year and still won with a bunch of no name scrubs.

Are your numbers about the east/west playoff teams against other playoff teams only, or the whole division? The bottom of the east is clearly worse than the bottom of the west.

Gibson, IMO, was the better steal in that draft.

I wish we would have drafted Blair instead of James Johnson.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 02:46 PM)
I wish we would have drafted Blair instead of James Johnson.

Wasn't Johnson just dumped because his cap number was in the way of more important signings? That would have been the same case with Blair if that was what happened, right?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)
Wasn't Johnson just dumped because his cap number was in the way of more important signings? That would have been the same case with Blair if that was what happened, right?

The Bulls were pretty done with waiting for JJ to grow up.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 02:10 PM)
Dejuan Blair had no knees or something crazy. (yeah just checked he has no acl in either knee).

I prefer Taj.

Why are people debating this? DeJuan Blair has no ACL's in either knee. He's also a 6'7" power forward in the NBA with NO F*CKING ACL'S!! Taj would be a monster on any other team as a starter!

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 11:22 AM)

The west as a whole went 156-114 against the east as a whole. The 8 playoff teams from the west went 100-44 against the east as a whole. The 8 eastern conference playoff teams went 74-70 against the west as a whole.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 04:15 PM)
The west as a whole went 156-114 against the east as a whole. The 8 playoff teams from the west went 100-44 against the east as a whole. The 8 eastern conference playoff teams went 74-70 against the west as a whole.

What about when the 8 playoff teams from each conference played each other?

DeJuan Blair was a second round pick because his knees scared everyone. He was projected to go at 16 to the Bulls.

Green: Fair enough.

Mills: Fair enough.

Leonard: Number 15 pick from this year...so...yeah.

Neal: Touche.

That being said you can make a case for Thibs.

Didn't have the Rose for a lot of games, while Parker played at an MVP level.

Watson, Hamilton, and Rose all missed lots of games. JL3 started. Deng didn't have a wrist ligament.

The defense was unreal.

In my rose-colored glasses, Thibs having SO many injuries and being in the drivers seat all year makes him COY, but if Pop wins he is also deserving.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 03:31 PM)
DeJuan Blair was a second round pick because his knees scared everyone. He was projected to go at 16 to the Bulls.

Green: Fair enough.

Mills: Fair enough.

Leonard: Number 15 pick from this year...so...yeah.

Neal: Touche.

That being said you can make a case for Thibs.

Didn't have the Rose for a lot of games, while Parker played at an MVP level.

Watson, Hamilton, and Rose all missed lots of games. JL3 started. Deng didn't have a wrist ligament.

The defense was unreal.

In my rose-colored glasses, Thibs having SO many injuries and being in the drivers seat all year makes him COY, but if Pop wins he is also deserving.

I know why he went in the second round. But he's a starting C at 6'7. That's just not normal. You're not supposed to be able to get away with that. I had never heard of Leonard. But ok. 15th pick. Fine. Parker has had a fine year. But he does the 17-18 ppg, 6-7 apg thing every year. I know what the Bulls have had to deal with this year. And it's remarkable that they won 50 games. But the non-playoff teams from the east are pretty damn bad. Nobody can deny that helped some.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 03:46 PM)
I know why he went in the second round. But he's a starting C at 6'7. That's just not normal. You're not supposed to be able to get away with that. I had never heard of Leonard. But ok. 15th pick. Fine. Parker has had a fine year. But he does the 17-18 ppg, 6-7 apg thing every year. I know what the Bulls have had to deal with this year. And it's remarkable that they won 50 games. But the non-playoff teams from the east are pretty damn bad. Nobody can deny that helped some.

All fair points.