2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 12:59 PM)
Who cares about the media? Will you, or anyone else on this board, or any average fan, not remember this as a season where a gigantic injury changed the course of the playoffs? This isn't the Clippers losing Billups. It's the #1 overall seed losing its superstar. That's a significant and memorable event.

Rose isn't even going to be the MVP this year.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)
People mention it with the Rockets because the GOAT took a leave of absence between winning 6 titles.

Rose isn't Jordan and these Bulls aren't anything compared to those Bulls. The Heat are the reigning Eastern Conference champs. They don't need to prove they can beat a Rose-led Bulls because they already have. There will be no asterisk if Miami wins the title.

Apparently I'm not the only one that thinks this:

"Asterisk titles last 40 yrs: 2012 (Rose), 09 (KG), 06 (Refs), 05 (melee), 02 (refs), 99 (strike), 94 + 95 (MJ), 78 (Walton), 73 (Havlicek)." -- Bill Simmons ‏ @sportsguy33

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 11:11 AM)
Nope. Not a positive and I don't believe it. A title is a title, and staying healthy is a huge party of that.

Agreed. I want the Bulls to go as far as they can but the only team that can stop Miami is OKC right now, IMO.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 01:23 PM)
Rose isn't even going to be the MVP this year.

Were the Bulls pegged as a title contender and basically a lock for a rematch in the ECF with the Heat? Yes, and now they're not. And if the Heat beat the Bulls, it's a Bulls team without their MVP and superstar. I don't care how he played this year (injuries), the fact is the Heat will win a title with little to no road blocks until the NBA Finals. That doesn't mean they aren't deserving, that doesn't mean they won't be credited with winning a title in the record books. But I'm not sure how you guys can sit here and not expect that the fans, the people that watch the league very year, won't think about Rose being knocked out in the first game of the playoffs when they think back to this season.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 01:30 PM)
Were the Bulls pegged as a title contender and basically a lock for a rematch in the ECF with the Heat? Yes, and now they're not. And if the Heat beat the Bulls, it's a Bulls team without their MVP and superstar. I don't care how he played this year (injuries), the fact is the Heat will win a title with little to no road blocks until the NBA Finals. That doesn't mean they aren't deserving, that doesn't mean they won't be credited with winning a title in the record books. But I'm not sure how you guys can sit here and not expect that the fans, the people that watch the league very year, won't think about Rose being knocked out in the first game of the playoffs when they think back to this season.

Contender, yes. Clear favorite, no. Not even close. If you want an asterisk next to the season you need something that tells me the clear cut champion didn't win. Even at 100%, the Bulls aren't that team. The Jordan Bulls were the clear cut favorite during Jordan's peak. His not being on the court changed that. The Rose-led Bulls aren't in that category. At best they were a toss up to beat Miami, and still could have had a decent shot at getting knocked out by OKC.

I never said they were a favorite, but except for a minority of Celtics-homers out there everyone had the Bulls in a rematch with the Heat.

And i'm not talking about an actual asterisk. I'm talking about a memory that's going to stick with this season for fans that aren't just Bulls fans. Fans want to see the best teams at full strength going at it. That's not going to happen this year unless it's an epic Miami-OKC series.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 01:46 PM)
I never said they were a favorite, but except for a minority of Celtics-homers out there everyone had the Bulls in a rematch with the Heat.

And i'm not talking about an actual asterisk. I'm talking about a memory that's going to stick with this season for fans that aren't just Bulls fans. Fans want to see the best teams at full strength going at it. That's not going to happen this year unless it's an epic Miami-OKC series.

You will get an asterisk from Bulls fans for sure, ala 94 Sox, 69 Cubs, etc. Non-Bulls fans No way. In order to get the general public to accept that, you have to be eliminating the clear cut favorite through some misfortune.

For me an asterisk has to be unrelated to in game play. That means injuries never result in an asterisk as tonight Lebron and Wade could get injured and that is just part of playing basketball.

Personally I am going to wait and see. I just am not in love with this Miami Heat team (I never have been) and ever since they were put together all Ive heard is how they will break every record, win more than 72 games, win every championship.

So far they have yet to have the best record in their own conference. The Heat need to actually win before we worry about asterisks.

I dont really see them winning this year.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 02:01 PM)
For me an asterisk has to be unrelated to in game play. That means injuries never result in an asterisk as tonight Lebron and Wade could get injured and that is just part of playing basketball.

Personally I am going to wait and see. I just am not in love with this Miami Heat team (I never have been) and ever since they were put together all Ive heard is how they will break every record, win more than 72 games, win every championship.

So far they have yet to have the best record in their own conference. The Heat need to actually win before we worry about asterisks.

I dont really see them winning this year.

But they won the conference in the playoffs last year, that means way more than best record.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 01:25 PM)
Apparently I'm not the only one that thinks this:

That's ridiculous. According to that stupid tweet from the radically declining Bill Simmons, 5 of the last 10 titles are now asterisk titles? That's moronic.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 03:24 PM)
That's ridiculous. According to that stupid tweet from the radically declining Bill Simmons, 5 of the last 10 titles are now asterisk titles? That's moronic.

Yeah, a decade of asterisks only really makes sense for MLB.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 07:23 PM)
Not when you dont win the Championship game.

Id rather win the Conference in the regular season, than just make the finals. Now winning a Championship is > a Conference Title, but just making the Finals? No one cares about the first loser.

If they don't care about the first loser, they sure don't care about the second and third losers.

The Bulls have the best record in the East back to back years, how is that 2nd or 3rd?

It just depends on what you value, I dont really care about 2nd place in the playoffs, I think thats less of an achievement then best record in the regular season.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)

Id rather win the Conference in the regular season, than just make the finals. Now winning a Championship is > a Conference Title, but just making the Finals? No one cares about the first loser.

OK then. If no one remembers the Finals loser, who the hell would remember the regular season champion?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)

So you'd rather win the conference in the regular season than actually win the Eastern Conference?

That makes no sense. At least the latter comes with t-shirts.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 07:56 PM)
The Bulls have the best record in the East back to back years, how is that 2nd or 3rd?

It just depends on what you value, I dont really care about 2nd place in the playoffs, I think thats less of an achievement then best record in the regular season.

If NBA champs are the winners, and Finals losers are the 1st losers, then the Conference Finals losers are the 2nd/3rd losers. Best regular season means squat.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 02:24 PM)

I don't even know why half of those seasons have asterisks? He only mentions KG because it's Boston.

I would rather win a NBA Championship.

After that its just different shades of gray. Do you prefer to make the Super Bowl or win the NFC Crown? Do you prefer your team to win the Big 10 or make the Sweet 16? Would rather be runner up in the Big 10 and win the Rose Bowl, or win the Big 10 but lose the Rose Bowl. Would you rather win the AL East or lose in the World Series?

I think different people will have different answers to those questions. All I really care about is NBA Championships, the rest you can make arguments about.

It really just depends on whether you think having the best record over 82 games means more than winning 12 games at the right time.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 03:11 PM)
I would rather win a NBA Championship.

Wow. This part of your post makes me want to find the Edward Norton gif. No. F*cking. Sh*t.

You know what, I will f*cking find it because it's that sort of topic and you have angered me greatly. Thanks.

Edward-Norton-Closing-Laptop.gif

I'd rather have a team that wins the regular season and loses before NBA Finals then a non-regular season winner that loses in the NBA Finals.

I prefer it because you don't win the regular season on a fluke -- that means you had sustained excellence, something that great teams have. Winning and losing in the playoffs is much more susceptible to fluke-like circumstances so if I have to lose, why should I care when?

Steve,

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 02:01 PM)
The Heat need to actually win before we worry about asterisks.

Maybe you should read the posts more carefully as this is where the argument started.

And this was the response:

but they won the conference in the playoffs last year, that means way more than best record.

So I wanted it to be clear, I dont really care about best record or Eastern Conference finals, I wasnt arguing that the Bulls "actually won something", what I was arguing is that the Heat havent won anything yet.

Eastern Conference Champion really doesnt mean anything to me, they can go in the box with the AI 76ers who also successfully won the Eastern Conference.

Edited by Soxbadger