2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

QUOTE (fathom @ May 6, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)
Baron just suffered one of the worst knee injuries you'll ever see

#Knicks announce MRI revealed partial tear of patella tendon and complete tears of ACL and MCL for Baron Davis. Out 12 months. Wow.

He's done. Sad way to go out. Took the injury like a G though. No wincing at all. Donald Sterling is still an asshole with what he help do to Davis.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 8, 2012 -> 07:39 AM)
Great write up. I totally agree. Without a true farm system to grow really young players in (such as NHL and MLB have) there is such a wide margin for error. Many of these kids aren't ready for life, let alone NBA basketball.

Also I am curious who the teammate was. The most interesting person I could find was Zach Randolph was a teammate of Kerr's as a rookie, and I know he isn't too bright. I couldn't find any straight from HS kids that were rookies on teams that Kerr played with.

Agreed. Great write up.

I have always been an advocate of the NBA creating a true minor league (not like the D-League) that they can fill with young draft picks, etc. following MLB and NHL models. Kerr talks about the fact that NBA teams are more than happy to have the colleges act as their farm system, but they lose control over the development and maturation of the kids that way. I'd be interested in seeing if having a true farm system would actually SAVE the NBA money down the road (presumably you would need to extend the draft, so lower salaries for late "potential" picks who the team would have control of mentoring outside the sheltered world of NCAA athletics).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 8, 2012 -> 11:48 AM)
If LeBron would have spent 2 years in college I think I would have a cbb championship to celebrate, and maybe I wouldnt hate him as much as i do.

At the very least guys like Dwight and LeBron would probably have grown up a bit more and understand how to handle of the situations they have completely failed at.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 8, 2012 -> 01:05 PM)
At the very least guys like Dwight and LeBron would probably have grown up a bit more and understand how to handle of the situations they have completely failed at.

Solely playing devil's advocate to see why I'm wrong...the NFL has most of its players go through almost a full college career right? And yet, doesn't that league regularly have people whining about contracts, fathering a dozen kids with 8 different partners, getting arrested for Drugs/DUI, doing everything TO does to make himself look silly, etc. Heck, didn't Wade go to college and still wind up with paternity issues?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 8, 2012 -> 12:08 PM)
Solely playing devil's advocate to see why I'm wrong...the NFL has most of its players go through almost a full college career right? And yet, doesn't that league regularly have people whining about contracts, fathering a dozen kids with 8 different partners, getting arrested for Drugs/DUI, doing everything TO does to make himself look silly, etc. Heck, didn't Wade go to college and still wind up with paternity issues?

You really think that there is no maturation process that goes on between high school and college?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 8, 2012 -> 01:13 PM)
You really think that there is no maturation process that goes on between high school and college?

I think I'm asking if you can prove that college is what does it?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 8, 2012 -> 01:19 PM)
That is just arguing for the sake of arguing.

If we're going to take the position that several more years of college would be a very good thing for many of these NBA players, then we ought to be able to back that up, rather than just asserting.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 8, 2012 -> 12:13 PM)

Not a whole lot for guys who are there for only a year and are treated like gods during their time in school.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 8, 2012 -> 11:48 AM)
If LeBron would have spent 2 years in college I think I would have a cbb championship to celebrate, and maybe I wouldnt hate him as much as i do.

I'm sure it would have been vacated by now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 8, 2012 -> 12:19 PM)
That is just arguing for the sake of arguing.

Balta doesn't do that.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 8, 2012 -> 12:20 PM)
If we're going to take the position that several more years of college would be a very good thing for many of these NBA players, then we ought to be able to back that up, rather than just asserting.

Or since you are taking a patently absurd position, you could actually prove that it doesn't by something other than anecdotal evidence.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 8, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)
I'm sure it would have been vacated by now.

Not really sure why that would be the case. If LeBron had to go to college it would have been OSU without any doubt.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 8, 2012 -> 12:33 PM)
Not really sure why that would be the case. If LeBron had to go to college it would have been OSU without any doubt.

That's what he said, but he was never going to college in the first place, everyone knew that. If the NBA rule was in place and he had a full recruitment, I'm just saying that there would be some money changing hands somewhere. How could there not be? Instant NCAA title contender with him.

Not sure why Lebron would be used as an example he was just as good as Magic and Bird his rookie season and if he went to college he'd still end up on a s***ty team while those 2 got lucky with their teams. Balta is right in that the way these kids are treated going to college for one extra year won't make a difference IMO.

Edited by GoodAsGould

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 8, 2012 -> 01:44 PM)
That's what he said, but he was never going to college in the first place, everyone knew that. If the NBA rule was in place and he had a full recruitment, I'm just saying that there would be some money changing hands somewhere. How could there not be? Instant NCAA title contender with him.

Of course, the Eddy Curry led Depaul and Tyson Chandler led UCLA teams might have had something to say about that.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 8, 2012 -> 12:44 PM)

Eh, maybe. This just makes me realize how much I miss 4 year players in college, even 3 years is better.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 8, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)
Of course, the Eddy Curry led Depaul and Tyson Chandler led UCLA teams might have had something to say about that.

Curry may have just gotten fat and useless quicker.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 8, 2012 -> 12:51 PM)
Eh, maybe. This just makes me realize how much I miss 4 year players in college, even 3 years is better.

That's true. I hate the one and dones. Let them turn pro. Its a farce having them pose as college students. Making them go for 2 is just going to create an even bigger farce and more cheating.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 8, 2012 -> 12:53 PM)
That's true. I hate the one and dones. Let them turn pro. Its a farce having them pose as college students. Making them go for 2 is just going to create an even bigger farce and more cheating.

Plus it gives the NCAA free labor for an extra year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 8, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)

Good point. Playing the "what if" game with college teams whose players went pro early produces some crazy compelling matchups & teams.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 8, 2012 -> 12:57 PM)
Plus it gives the NCAA free labor for an extra year.

I'd even be happy if they set up a true minor league system for these kids to play in like MLB and NHL do. This set up now is the worst of both worlds.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 8, 2012 -> 02:07 PM)
I'd even be happy if they set up a true minor league system for these kids to play in like MLB and NHL do. This set up now is the worst of both worlds.

The fact that such a big deal is made of the draft (in both this league and the NFL) really gets in the way. You can't draft Derrick Rose #1 and then have him not on your team that year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 8, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)
The fact that such a big deal is made of the draft (in both this league and the NFL) really gets in the way. You can't draft Derrick Rose #1 and then have him not on your team that year.

For every Rose in the draft, there are how many guys who wash out because they aren't ready?