2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 15, 2012 -> 06:50 PM)
It's asking an awful lot for a rookie/second year big man to be a starter and #2/#3 scorer. Usually the ones that are that good right away go in the top-5, and in a better draft than the one we're looking at.

Without Deng, Boozer, Noah, and Rose for most of 2012-2013, the Bulls are looking at top 5.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 15, 2012 -> 06:57 PM)
Without Deng, Boozer, Noah, and Rose for most of 2012-2013, the Bulls are looking at top 5.

Have you seen some of these teams? There's a reason the Bulls were still good without Rose. This also isn't exactly 2003 or 2008 where there are ton of good options.

You also have to replace an entire team with that approach, not just one guy.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 15, 2012 -> 06:44 PM)
That is why you cut Boozer. With Deng and Rose out for significant parts of next year, and then not at 100% for more, there is no reason for him to be here.

Keepin mind, you're not cutting him, you're buying out $45 million of his deal, to avoid a couple million in luxury tax.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 15, 2012 -> 07:57 PM)

One other big question would be who would take on Noah's contract while giving the Bulls little money back, and why you'd do that if you also didn't get some daft help back.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 15, 2012 -> 07:17 PM)
Keepin mind, you're not cutting him, you're buying out $45 million of his deal, to avoid a couple million in luxury tax.

The point is to avoid the luxury tax and lose games. Check and check.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 15, 2012 -> 07:19 PM)
One other big question would be who would take on Noah's contract while giving the Bulls little money back, and why you'd do that if you also didn't get some daft help back.

You obviously would be looking for players who would help you later, and draft picks.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 15, 2012 -> 08:21 PM)
The point is to avoid the luxury tax and lose games. Check and check.

Then the question is the follow up move. The bulls still couldn't get themselves into a position to offer a solid deal on the FA market even if theymove Noah, unless they also move their draft picks away and try to get down to just Deng and Rose, and that's not a good place to start at with nothing other than Picks.

I'm intrigued by the concept but I just am trying to see how it would allow a path back to a top 3 seed after next year.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 15, 2012 -> 06:30 PM)
The Bulls are going to get the top pick in the 2014 draft after a year with a healthy Rose?

Ill call my bud, David Stern, about another rigging.

I fully expect the Bulls to do the easiest thing possible: keep as much of the team together as possible until after 2013/2014. At that point, Deng's contract expires and they can easily amnesty Boozer if they haven't already. Pretty much everyone else is on a short-term contract that they can easily let expire.

That would leave them with Rose, Noah, Gibson unless someone makes him a stupid offer, and a bunch of cap space. Hopefully they can pick up one solid late-round pick in that stretch, then they'll probably get Charlotte's pick in 2016 (it's top-12 protected before that). If things go well between now and then (which I doubt), they can keep Deng and/or Boozer.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 15, 2012 -> 08:41 PM)
I fully expect the Bulls to do the easiest thing possible: keep as much of the team together as possible until after 2013/2014. At that point, Deng's contract expires and they can easily amnesty Boozer if they haven't already. Pretty much everyone else is on a short-term contract that they can easily let expire.

That would leave them with Rose, Noah, Gibson unless someone makes him a stupid offer, and a bunch of cap space. Hopefully they can pick up one solid late-round pick in that stretch, then they'll probably get Charlotte's pick in 2016 (it's top-12 protected before that). If things go well between now and then (which I doubt), they can keep Deng and/or Boozer.

It's going to take a major increase in the cap for the Bulls to be able to offer a major deal after 2014 if the have more than Noah and Rose. If Gibson gets more than the full MlE, the Bulls might not be able to offer a max deal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 15, 2012 -> 08:04 PM)
It's going to take a major increase in the cap for the Bulls to be able to offer a major deal after 2014 if the have more than Noah and Rose.

Not really. Rose and Noah is about 30 (don't have the exact #), let's call Gibson $7 mil for argument's sake. Let's say they have $8 mil with the rest of the roster and picks to make it a round number.

The cap this year was $58 mil. That leaves them $13 mil to play with. I would call that a "major deal".

Edit- if you want to be technical about it and say a max deal, they can still get there considering I think the first year of a new max is $15 point something mil.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 15, 2012 -> 09:10 PM)
Not really. Rose and Noah is about 30 (don't have the exact #), let's call Gibson $7 mil for argument's sake. Let's say they have $8 mil with the rest of the roster and picks to make it a round number.

The cap this year was $58 mil. That leaves them $13 mil to play with. I would call that a "major deal".

Edit- if you want to be technical about it and say a max deal, they can still get there considering I think the first year of a new max is $15 point something mil.

Now add in a single rookie, every rookie contract is $1 million or more. Or we sell those picks off for the future, and leave a weaker roster.

Te reason the bulls built a deep bench is that Boozers $15 mil a year non max deal left them another $5 mil to play with. Thats what the Bulls wouldn't have to play with after 2014, and that's after 2 down years and whatever draft pick te bulls got after losing next year.

It's doable but I'm still concerned that it jut doesn't give you a path back to the top unless you win the lottery in there or have someone hand you a star.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 15, 2012 -> 04:44 PM)
I wonder if the Bulls would be better in the long run if they punted on 2013? Let Deng play the olympics then go for surgery, amnesty Boozer, trade Jo to the highest bidder, and let the option guys go. Then when you come back for 2013 you get a healthy Rose and Deng, plus a high draft pick, and the kid from Europe potentially as well.

I'm all for amnestying Boozer. Trading Joakim though...nah, he's way too valuable of a player at his position. Unless you get wow'd, there's no way you'd move him.

I would love to keep Gibson, Noah, and Deng. Trade everyone else if you have to.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 15, 2012 -> 08:21 PM)
Now add in a single rookie, every rookie contract is $1 million or more. Or we sell those picks off for the future, and leave a weaker roster.

Te reason the bulls built a deep bench is that Boozers $15 mil a year non max deal left them another $5 mil to play with. Thats what the Bulls wouldn't have to play with after 2014, and that's after 2 down years and whatever draft pick te bulls got after losing next year.

It's doable but I'm still concerned that it jut doesn't give you a path back to the top unless you win the lottery in there or have someone hand you a star.

Did you even look at my post? I added in another $8 mil for assorted cheap contracts or guys on rookie deals.

You can easily fit Rose, Noah, Gibson, a sizeable contract (let's say at least $10 mil since I said "easily") and a few assorted rookie contract/cheap guys unless someone goes stupid-high on Gibson.

To keep it simple: Rose + Noah is somewhere in the low 30's. The cap was $58 this year. That leaves an awful lot of room for other contracts.

I think some people think that amnestying Boozer just means he is off the books.

Amnestying Boozer will mean:

Boozer can be bid on by teams with cap room. The highest bidder gets Booz. The Bulls pay the difference between the high bid and the contract we gave him (!!!)

The amnesty could potentially blow up in our face with us paying him a ton to not even be playing for us