2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 15, 2012 -> 08:50 PM)
Yes, that's very true, but the Bulls would be able to move that money to other contracts.

Doesn't count towards salary cap?

QUOTE (Jake @ May 16, 2012 -> 01:44 AM)
I think some people think that amnestying Boozer just means he is off the books.

Amnestying Boozer will mean:

Boozer can be bid on by teams with cap room. The highest bidder gets Booz. The Bulls pay the difference between the high bid and the contract we gave him (!!!)

The amnesty could potentially blow up in our face with us paying him a ton to not even be playing for us

That's actually better than what people thought then. I think everyone figured we were paying his full salary no matter what.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 15, 2012 -> 08:44 PM)
I think some people think that amnestying Boozer just means he is off the books.

Amnestying Boozer will mean:

Boozer can be bid on by teams with cap room. The highest bidder gets Booz. The Bulls pay the difference between the high bid and the contract we gave him (!!!)

The amnesty could potentially blow up in our face with us paying him a ton to not even be playing for us

Getting his contract off the books is worth that, IMO.

But I foresee next season as a throw-away year anyways. They might as well tank for a high pick.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 15, 2012 -> 08:53 PM)
No. That's the point of the amnesty, that contract is removed from counting on the cap/tax number.

Works for me then, go ahead and do as you please Bulls.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 15, 2012 -> 04:44 PM)
I wonder if the Bulls would be better in the long run if they punted on 2013?

That would be amazing. Get a top 5 pick to add to Rose? That should be top priority.

When did Wade morph into this wannabe thug? I never noticed it until he flattened CJ during the season and then last night when he elbowed Collison in the shoulder/head on the fastbreak.

Aggrey Sam suggesting Bulls sign Kirk Hinrich for the MMLE, which isn't the worst idea, but not the best. I'd like to see a mini rebuild happen while Deng and Rose are down and since I'm stuck at home, it got me thinking.

Pieces that stay:

Rose

Deng

Noah

Gibson

Mirotic

Butler

Sign:

Kirk: Can hold down the fort until Rose returns from injury.

Alexey Shved: think Russian Shaun Livingston, currently on CSKA Moscow. Reportedly being looked at according to RealGM Bulls board (I know, that's basically citing here as a Sox source, but still)

Trade

Boozer, Korver, Charlotte Pick for Gordon, Villanueva, and #9 Overall Pick from Detroit. Detroit hates Gordon and Charlie V, for some reason likes Booz.

Brewer to Boston/New York/Golden State for Mid 2nd Round pick. For all intensive purposes, lets say NY at 48.

Watson, future 2nd to Golden State for 35th pick. Golden State reportedly looking at him.

Asik (matched, traded in principle), Hamilton, $3M to Mavs for #17 Pick. I can just see Dallas doing this.

Draft:

#9: Jeremy Lamb

#17: Royce White

#29: Fab Melo

#35: Tomas Satoransky (Euro-stash)

#48: Kim English

Lineup until December:

PG - Hinrich/Shved

SG - Gordon/Lamb/English

SF - Butler/White

PF - Gibson/Villanueva

C - Noah/Melo

Rose and Deng return:

PG - Rose/Hinrich/Shved

SG - Lamb/Gordon/English

SF - Deng/Butler

PF - Gibson/White/Villanueva

C - Noah/Melo

If Roseless/Dengless lineup could tread water until those two return, they could make the playoffs and then they could make noise.

ROSTER BREAKDOWN:

Hinrich: Should be able to hit an open shot an defend at this point. It'll be painful until Rose returns, but it can be stomached.

Shved: Summed up best by this video

Lamb: Very talented offensively and will try hard on defense. Could become a second option.

Gordon: BG is the same as he's always been, just used less, in Detroit.

English: Can hit open shots and can D up. That's what I took away from watching him at Mizzou this year. He's an ultimate glue guy.

Butler: Can get to line, defense.

White: When I saw him in person, he could do a little of everything, just need to keep his anxiety under control and keep him motivated. He could create for others, hit shots, bang in the post, grab boards, etc. With head on straight, could develop into an all-star.

Gibson: I see this past playoffs as his coming out party like 09 playoffs for Joakim. The D is great, but the offense looked like it might be coming around.

Villanueva: Five fouls.

Noah: Hustle, rebounding, put backs, defense. We know what we got with Jo.

Melo: Defense, length, could catch a ball unlike Asik. Need to keep motivated.

Then Mirotic and Satoransky are stashed for a season or two.

Ok, I'm going back to my bored hole.

Edited by Quinarvy

Signing anyone for the MLE puts the Bulls well into luxury tax territory, by $5 million +.

Who knows...they might think Rose and Deng could be back by January, and if they can hold the fort down until then with around a .500 record they could still get a middle-seed in the playoffs and be the #5 team that absolutely no one wants to face.

Would require JR to really, truly, go "All in" on this Bulls team, because that would be the kind of state where they'd consider amnesthitizing Boozer after the 2013 season to get under the tax if it doesn't work.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 16, 2012 -> 08:12 AM)
Signing anyone for the MLE puts the Bulls well into luxury tax territory, by $5 million +.

Who knows...they might think Rose and Deng could be back by January, and if they can hold the fort down until then with around a .500 record they could still get a middle-seed in the playoffs and be the #5 team that absolutely no one wants to face.

Would require JR to really, truly, go "All in" on this Bulls team, because that would be the kind of state where they'd consider amnesthitizing Boozer after the 2013 season to get under the tax if it doesn't work.

Remember to take out Rip, Brewer, Watson, and Asik though.

And are they allowed to Amnesty traded players? They could amnesty Villanueva?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 16, 2012 -> 08:12 AM)
I think Thibs head would explode with Gordon and Villanueva on his roster

Hasn't exploded with Boozer, Lucas, Watson, and Korver.

Wasn't there a clause in the amnesty rule where you could only amnesty players you had when the CBA was signed? i.e. you couldn't trade for a guy with a bad contract then use amnesty to get out of that contract?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 16, 2012 -> 08:17 AM)
Hasn't exploded with Boozer, Lucas, Watson, and Korver.

Aside from Boozer, the other guys at least give an effort. Villanueva and Gordon never did that

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 16, 2012 -> 08:17 AM)
Wasn't there a clause in the amnesty rule where you could only amnesty players you had when the CBA was signed? i.e. you couldn't trade for a guy with a bad contract then use amnesty to get out of that contract?

You are only allowed to amnesty players you signed to a contract, pre-CBA.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 16, 2012 -> 09:30 AM)
You are only allowed to amnesty players you signed to a contract, pre-CBA.

So trading Boozer's big deal for Gordon + Villaneueva would lock the Bulls into both of those deals and basically remove the Bulls from any chance of an amnesty?

Of course, they both are player options for 2013-2014, but that seems like a really odd technique if the Bulls wind up being unable to compete this year. I wouldn't expect to pick up either of those options.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 16, 2012 -> 08:37 AM)
So trading Boozer's big deal for Gordon + Villaneueva would lock the Bulls into both of those deals and basically remove the Bulls from any chance of an amnesty?

Of course, they both are player options for 2013-2014, but that seems like a really odd technique if the Bulls wind up being unable to compete this year. I wouldn't expect to pick up either of those options.

Yes.

This is the trade off:

Kirk, Shved, Lamb, English, White, and Melo all have the tools/ability/length to be defensive contributors with Noah, Gibson, and Butler. It only helps when Rose and Deng come back.

Now, Shved, Lamb, White, and Gordon can all add new dimensions to the offense. Melo will be an upgrade over Asik, and hopefully Kirk and English could hit 3s.

I understand we have to take on Villanueva, who doesn't try, and BG, who just sucks at D, but if that's the cost for more two way players, I do it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 16, 2012 -> 08:20 AM)
Different subject.

Last night's scoring:

James: 28

Wade: 24

Everyone else: 23.

Chalmers was 2-10 from the field, 0-4 from behind the arc. No wonder Spolestra set up the last shot for him.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 15, 2012 -> 05:38 PM)
Ill call my bud, David Stern, about another rigging.

And for the 1st time in NBA history, the NBA Champion Chicago Bulls were accidentally included within the lottery and won the 1st overall draft pick. :headbang

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 15, 2012 -> 07:41 PM)
I fully expect the Bulls to do the easiest thing possible: keep as much of the team together as possible until after 2013/2014. At that point, Deng's contract expires and they can easily amnesty Boozer if they haven't already. Pretty much everyone else is on a short-term contract that they can easily let expire.

That would leave them with Rose, Noah, Gibson unless someone makes him a stupid offer, and a bunch of cap space. Hopefully they can pick up one solid late-round pick in that stretch, then they'll probably get Charlotte's pick in 2016 (it's top-12 protected before that). If things go well between now and then (which I doubt), they can keep Deng and/or Boozer.

Yeah, the path of least resistance is the one the Bulls will take. No doubt about it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 16, 2012 -> 10:44 AM)
Yeah, the path of least resistance is the one the Bulls will take. No doubt about it.

Of all of the teams in Chicago, the Bulls are one that can go through a rebuild and the stadium will still be full. They won't miss a dollar. I wish taking drastic action were a consideration in this case. You are already looking a mediocre year at best. With the pieces you have on the horizon in the Charlotte pick, plus the Mirotic kid, and looking at what next year is going to be without Rose and Deng for quite a while, why wouldn't you?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 16, 2012 -> 10:49 AM)
Of all of the teams in Chicago, the Bulls are one that can go through a rebuild and the stadium will still be full. They won't miss a dollar. I wish taking drastic action were a consideration in this case. You are already looking a mediocre year at best. With the pieces you have on the horizon in the Charlotte pick, plus the Mirotic kid, and looking at what next year is going to be without Rose and Deng for quite a while, why wouldn't you?

Because they have a championship-caliber team when Rose is healthy? Because they went 18-9 without Rose and would have to totally gut that roster to be a bottom-5 team? Because if Rose is back and 90% by the playoffs they have the potential to beat anyone? Because they probably won't see the Charlotte pick until 2016, and if they do it will be below the 12th pick? Because Mirotic is far from a lock to be the next Dirk?

Pick one. It's not like it's easy to build a title contender, especially when you don't have the cap space to just sign free agents.