2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 16, 2012 -> 10:56 AM)
Because they have a championship-caliber team when Rose is healthy? Because they went 18-9 without Rose and would have to totally gut that roster to be a bottom-5 team? Because if Rose is back and 90% by the playoffs they have the potential to beat anyone? Because they probably won't see the Charlotte pick until 2016, and if they do it will be below the 12th pick? Because Mirotic is far from a lock to be the next Dirk?

Pick one. It's not like it's easy to build a title contender, especially when you don't have the cap space to just sign free agents.

They aren't going to be a title contender next year. The may not even be a playoff team. By the time Rose gets back you have other pieces to put into place. The reality is that the lack of a second star on this team is probably not going to allow them to win a title with this group. This is the one real chance they may have to move some pieces around and get a chance to obtain that star.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 16, 2012 -> 10:59 AM)
They aren't going to be a title contender next year. The may not even be a playoff team. By the time Rose gets back you have other pieces to put into place. The reality is that the lack of a second star on this team is probably not going to allow them to win a title with this group. This is the one real chance they may have to move some pieces around and get a chance to obtain that star.

It depends on when Rose gets back, which is something none of us know. What are you going to do if he's ready in January and you already nuked the roster to MAYBE get someone useful in the draft, sit him?

Tanking doesn't guarantee getting a second star either. If you end up with another Tyrus Thomas, you just gave up a handful of pieces from a contender for nothing and you waste Rose's prime.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 16, 2012 -> 11:06 AM)
It depends on when Rose gets back, which is something none of us know. What are you going to do if he's ready in January and you already nuked the roster to MAYBE get someone useful in the draft, sit him?

Tanking doesn't guarantee getting a second star either. If you end up with another Tyrus Thomas, you just gave up a handful of pieces from a contender for nothing and you waste Rose's prime.

Even if he can play then, the universal answer is that he won't be himself for a long time after that. This season is a waste. Write it off. You saw what this team looked like without Rose and Noah. They will be without Rose and Deng for at least half of the season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 16, 2012 -> 10:59 AM)
They aren't going to be a title contender next year. The may not even be a playoff team.

There is no chance the Bulls miss the Eastern Conference 8 seed or better next year. None.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 16, 2012 -> 11:09 AM)
Even if he can play then, the universal answer is that he won't be himself for a long time after that. This season is a waste. Write it off. You saw what this team looked like without Rose and Noah. They will be without Rose and Deng for at least half of the season.

You're not just tanking one season with that approach; you're tanking at least three while you rebuild your roster. All because Rose MAY not be back before the playoffs and Deng MAY miss a couple of months.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ May 17, 2012 -> 11:32 AM)
#Bulls guard C.J. Watson undergoes procedure to address plantar fasciitis that he and team kept quiet.

Well, that explains a lot and makes me substantially less angry at him.

Slightly more at Thibs for not using Mike James.

I wonder which procedure. One I read about sounded excruciatingly painful, cutting the fatty part of the bottom of the foot away and putting it back together, letting the body reconnect it.

If Indy can win tonight, might the Heat start to crack?

Let Wade and Bron get theirs and shut the role players down and hope Indy can score more than those 2. Spo gonna play them heavy minutes without Bosh in the lineup...they will be worn down by the end of the game.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

I will be shocked if this team gets broken up. The ONLY way I can see it is via trading for a big piece. The truth is that when you have a decent point guard playing, it's not a bad team. Having 3/5 starters leaves us as still a playoff team. Adding Luol at some point will be a nice boost (if he gets surgery). You act as if you won't get Derrick back, but of course he could put us over the top, or not.

It sounds like they may bring CJ Watson back, which I didn't expect. I sure do remember a time when he was pretty good other than jacking up a few too many shots. Can't decide if he was injured, bad, scared, or some of all three in the playoffs.

I do think Kirk would be a nice addition and still fits well if we get Derrick or something like Derrick back. Hinrich and Taj are pretty good first reserves, I've gotta say.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ May 17, 2012 -> 12:22 PM)
If Indy can win tonight, might the Heat start to crack?

Let Wade and Bron get theirs and shut the role players down and hope Indy can score more than those 2. Spo gonna play them heavy minutes without Bosh in the lineup...they will be worn down by the end of the game.

LeBron was definitely worn down in game 2.

I think Thibs had them gameplanned perfectly when they quit double teaming Lebron/Wade

QUOTE (Jake @ May 17, 2012 -> 01:35 PM)
I will be shocked if this team gets broken up. The ONLY way I can see it is via trading for a big piece. The truth is that when you have a decent point guard playing, it's not a bad team. Having 3/5 starters leaves us as still a playoff team. Adding Luol at some point will be a nice boost (if he gets surgery). You act as if you won't get Derrick back, but of course he could put us over the top, or not.

It sounds like they may bring CJ Watson back, which I didn't expect. I sure do remember a time when he was pretty good other than jacking up a few too many shots. Can't decide if he was injured, bad, scared, or some of all three in the playoffs.

I do think Kirk would be a nice addition and still fits well if we get Derrick or something like Derrick back. Hinrich and Taj are pretty good first reserves, I've gotta say.

I could certainly see them just declining the final option years on Brewer, Korver, and Watson, or doing a trade with them after accepting their options. David Haugh suggested that today.

What experienced point guard the Bulls sign on the cheap this summer — is hometown discount part of Kirk Hinrich's vocabulary? — remains to be seen but, for my money, C.J. Watson played his way out of town during the playoffs. The team options on subs Kyle Korver and Ronnie Brewer figure to be too pricey to pick up for a club approaching salary-cap hell.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 17, 2012 -> 12:35 PM)

They won't break the team up. Of that I have no doubt.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 17, 2012 -> 11:36 AM)
I wonder which procedure. One I read about sounded excruciatingly painful, cutting the fatty part of the bottom of the foot away and putting it back together, letting the body reconnect it.

KC Johnson tweeted the story: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baske...0,2673894.story

It's the second straight summer Watson has undergone a procedure to address plantar fasciitis. Watson had shock wave therapy performed, which is basically controlled blasts of sound waves to break up the damaged tissue.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2012 -> 11:55 AM)
They won't break the team up. Of that I have no doubt.

If they lose to Indy, can't blame Bosh who would be the scape goat, so your probably right.