2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 30, 2012 -> 11:28 AM)
They do that, we'll trade him to Houston for Kyle Lowry, Kevin Martin, Sam Dalembert and picks I'd imagine.

That'll teach them!

I think you've actually found an outcome for the Magic that would be worse than "landing" Brook Lopez.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 30, 2012 -> 11:28 AM)
They do that, we'll trade him to Houston for Kyle Lowry, Kevin Martin, Sam Dalembert and picks I'd imagine.

And he refuses to sign an extension, which either kills the deal (see the original Favors offer for Melo) or he signs with Brooklyn anyways.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 31, 2012 -> 02:37 AM)
And he refuses to sign an extension, which either kills the deal (see the original Favors offer for Melo) or he signs with Brooklyn anyways.

Houston is so desperate for a big name, they'd be willing to take that chance. And they actually think Hakeem Olajuwon could convicne Dwight to stick around long - term.

Would Dwight sign in Brooklyn if Deron bolted for Dallas?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 31, 2012 -> 02:37 AM)
That'll teach them!

I think you've actually found an outcome for the Magic that would be worse than "landing" Brook Lopez.

Not a fan of Lopez at all, think I'd rather Lowry over him.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 30, 2012 -> 11:47 AM)
Houston is so desperate for a big name, they'd be willing to take that chance. And they actually think Hakeem Olajuwon could convicne Dwight to stick around long - term.

Dwight isn't signing long-term in Houston, especially not if they give up their two best players. He'd be right back where he started.

And I have a very hard time seeing Deron leave if they get Davis and still appear to be Dwight's preferred destination. I certainly wouldn't do it for the last 2 or 3 years of Dirk's prime and the rest of that trash roster. It's not like there are any other "instant contender" options out there, except maybe Indiana.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 30, 2012 -> 11:47 AM)

He might. He seemingly wants to be THE guy.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 30, 2012 -> 11:59 AM)
Im not really in love with Davis, so id take Howard every day of the week (given that he will resign with my team).

Even if Im Charlotte Id fly Davis to Orlando.

For 1 year of Dwight?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 31, 2012 -> 02:58 AM)
He might. He seemingly wants to be THE guy.

Yep, but as the past few seasons have shown, you need to put specific talent around him to be successful.

I don't know if I can see him winning a championship without a "Chris Paul" playing alongside him.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 30, 2012 -> 11:59 AM)
Im not really in love with Davis, so id take Howard every day of the week (given that he will resign with my team).

Even if Im Charlotte Id fly Davis to Orlando.

See, I thought you would like a big man that has the ability to actually shoot a ball.

I do like some guys who can stretch the floor. The problem for me with Davis, is that I just dont think he is that great of an outside shooter.

Davis is listed as 6'10 220 and made 3 of 20 3's last year.

John Leuer is listed as 6'10 228 and 54/146 of his 3's in his senior year.

Now Davis is a much better interior player and has shown freakish defensive ability. But there is always a part of me that is shocked when I realize that Davis is actually the same size as Leuer, who is a player some thought was not big enough for the 4 in the NBA.

The real concern is how many teams Davis played that actually had anyone capable of defending him at all. If you look at the tourney, the 2 games he played against teams that had a potential NBA starter at PF or C (KU and IU) he had pretty bad games.

Even during the season he didnt play well against UNC (Henson/Zeller) or IU (Zeller).

That being said, what else is there? I mean Gilchrist has good upside, but are you going to take him #1 when he didnt even average 12 points and basically just hope that he fulfills his talent.

Its just a strange draft, especially since Henson is in the draft and hes basically Davis light.

Part of me even wonders if 5 years from now it will turn out that Leonard was the best big in the draft.

Remember he's only a freshman Badge, comparing him to a well seasoned senior in Ryan's system isnt exactly fair. I was saying the bare bones of a jump shot are there and he can develop into a good jump shooter and possibly a guy who shoots 3's. More importantly he can develop into a guy who can hit the pick and roll jumper like Garnett has for years. THATS the player I expect. He's incredibly athletic already and has a very high ceiling.

One of the knocks on Leuer was his athleticism as a 4 or 5 without the dominant size. I think thats been proven fairly wrong so far.

Edited by RockRaines

I don't think Davis' college game stats translate well. The Indiana game he was in foul trouble the majority of the time (gee, @ Indiana, that's never happened before!). I think he's going to be pretty dominate. Maybe not right away, but in 2-3 seasons. The problem is he's going into the exact wrong place. He needs to go to a team and learn the NBA game for a year. Instead he's going to be learning on the fly with a crappy supporting cast.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 30, 2012 -> 03:27 PM)
I do like some guys who can stretch the floor. The problem for me with Davis, is that I just dont think he is that great of an outside shooter.

Davis is listed as 6'10 220 and made 3 of 20 3's last year.

John Leuer is listed as 6'10 228 and 54/146 of his 3's in his senior year.

Now Davis is a much better interior player and has shown freakish defensive ability. But there is always a part of me that is shocked when I realize that Davis is actually the same size as Leuer, who is a player some thought was not big enough for the 4 in the NBA.

The real concern is how many teams Davis played that actually had anyone capable of defending him at all. If you look at the tourney, the 2 games he played against teams that had a potential NBA starter at PF or C (KU and IU) he had pretty bad games.

Even during the season he didnt play well against UNC (Henson/Zeller) or IU (Zeller).

That being said, what else is there? I mean Gilchrist has good upside, but are you going to take him #1 when he didnt even average 12 points and basically just hope that he fulfills his talent.

Its just a strange draft, especially since Henson is in the draft and hes basically Davis light.

Part of me even wonders if 5 years from now it will turn out that Leonard was the best big in the draft.

He does need to add bulk, but so does damn near every big man coming out of college. The bigger concern with Leuer is the defending/rebounding, which isn't an issue with Davis.

I wouldn't say he "didn't play well" in games against elite competition. He didn't score in a lot of them, but a lot of that is because he didn't shoot much. He wasn't the focal point of the offense because he was on a loaded team and he's still a work in progress.

Look at the games against the better frontcourts...

first game against KU: 14 points on 8 shots

vs UNC: 7 points, only 6 shots

first game against IU: 6 points, only 4 shots, foul trouble

second game against IU: 9 points, only 5 shots

Baylor: 18 points, still only 9 shots

second game against KU: the only "bad" one, 1-10 from the floor but still had 16 boards, 5 assists, 3 steals and 6 blocks

That last part is important: he doesn't need to score to make an impact on the game. He's an elite defender and rebounder with major upside on offense.

Rock,

The reason I used Leuer is he was the "guard who grew to be a big man". I didnt use his frosh 3 stats as he shot something like 46% on small sample size.

That being said they are completely different players, and I think Davis compares more to Garnett or Noah. And which way he goes will really depend on how he develops. And I agree he has a high ceiling, Im just not sure how many years it will take to get there, which isnt what I like to be saying about a #1 nba pick.

Jenks,

Sure Davis was in foul trouble @ IU, but he didnt do that well in the NCAA tourney either.

He may be an All-Star in 2-3 years, I dont know. That is why Im not in love with him as the #1 pick, especially considering the fact that there are other raw big men in this draft who just werent as hyped.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 30, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)
He does need to add bulk, but so does damn near every big man coming out of college. The bigger concern with Leuer is the defending/rebounding, which isn't an issue with Davis.

I wouldn't say he "didn't play well" in games against elite competition. He didn't score in a lot of them, but a lot of that is because he didn't shoot much. He wasn't the focal point of the offense because he was on a loaded team and he's still a work in progress.

Look at the games against the better frontcourts...

first game against KU: 14 points on 8 shots

vs UNC: 7 points, only 6 shots

first game against IU: 6 points, only 4 shots, foul trouble

second game against IU: 9 points, only 5 shots

Baylor: 18 points, still only 9 shots

second game against KU: the only "bad" one, 1-10 from the floor but still had 16 boards, 5 assists, 3 steals and 6 blocks

That last part is important: he doesn't need to score to make an impact on the game. He's an elite defender and rebounder with major upside on offense.

It would be different if we were talking about Davis as a 5-10 pick, but as a #1 over all I just am not crazy about drafting an elite defender and hoping he can improve his offense.

Which is why I would trade him for Howard, if Howard would re-sign.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 30, 2012 -> 04:04 PM)
Rock,

The reason I used Leuer is he was the "guard who grew to be a big man". I didnt use his frosh 3 stats as he shot something like 46% on small sample size.

That being said they are completely different players, and I think Davis compares more to Garnett or Noah. And which way he goes will really depend on how he develops. And I agree he has a high ceiling, Im just not sure how many years it will take to get there, which isnt what I like to be saying about a #1 nba pick.

Jenks,

Sure Davis was in foul trouble @ IU, but he didnt do that well in the NCAA tourney either.

He may be an All-Star in 2-3 years, I dont know. That is why Im not in love with him as the #1 pick, especially considering the fact that there are other raw big men in this draft who just werent as hyped.

But you're faulting him for not having offensive stats when he purposefully passes up his shots. Yeah, he had bad shooting nights, but lots of guys do. I've never seen a guy dominate a game while shooting 1 for 10 like he did. He's obviously has to work on his offensive game, but the potential is definitely there.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 30, 2012 -> 04:09 PM)
It would be different if we were talking about Davis as a 5-10 pick, but as a #1 over all I just am not crazy about drafting an elite defender and hoping he can improve his offense.

Which is why I would trade him for Howard, if Howard would re-sign.

90% of the big men in the league can't score right now anyways. He's going to come in right away and be a double-double threat with good defense and has the mobility, leaping ability, skill base and work ethic to develop into a very solid offensive player. That's extremely valuable. Guys that aren't nearly as good as he is get $10 million a year contracts. The team that gets him is going to have him for 5 years at below market value, probably more given it's advantageous to stay put on your first contract.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 30, 2012 -> 04:16 PM)
But you're faulting him for not having offensive stats when he purposefully passes up his shots. Yeah, he had bad shooting nights, but lots of guys do. I've never seen a guy dominate a game while shooting 1 for 10 like he did. He's obviously has to work on his offensive game, but the potential is definitely there.

Im not faulting him for anything, Im stating my opinion after watching Davis play.

Davis could turn out to be the best player ever in the history of the NBA, that doesnt mean I cant point out potential issues.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 30, 2012 -> 04:24 PM)
90% of the big men in the league can't score right now anyways. He's going to come in right away and be a double-double threat with good defense and has the mobility, leaping ability, skill base and work ethic to develop into a very solid offensive player. That's extremely valuable. Guys that aren't nearly as good as he is get $10 million a year contracts. The team that gets him is going to have him for 5 years at below market value, probably more given it's advantageous to stay put on your first contract.

Where have I said that is not extremely valuable?

All I said was that Id trade him for Howard if Howard would agree to re-sign. There is a difference between being a valuable player and being the arguably the best player at your position.