2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 11:02 PM)
Im not sure this series is over though.

Not team in NBA history has come back from down 3-1 since the 2-3-2 format was implemented. It's over. The most talented player in NBA history is getting his first championship. At the same age Jordan did, by the way.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 10:59 PM)
Then most people need to get over it. They had a tie game tonight and James left the game... Mostly. They played stupid. They were also up 33-16 and went into halftime only up three.

Get over the refs. This is on the Thunder.

Oh yeah, the Thunder blew it, but I've just gotten sick of the officiating. I'm mad that Durant fouled LeBron and it was called on Collison. It's so damn annoying.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 11:08 PM)
In the exact post I quoted you complained about Game 2. You can't lawyer your way out of this one, Brian!

Right you mentioned reffing and I responded that its game 2 people likely have an issue with, not game 3 or game 4.

Responding to a post is not complaining.

Look at the post:

I think most people are just disappointed with game 2 and how it was reffed as it was a home game for OKC, the last 2 games were @ Miami, you expect the benefit to be given to them.

Notice how I dont even give my opinion. I just say "I think most people are", its merely stating what my opinion on the subject is.

In comparison complaining would be:

The refs stole this series, if it wasnt for the bulls*** no calls in game 2 the thunder would be winning.

See difference.

Notice how I also have said that this series isnt over and that OKC can still win, which is the exact opposite of fixating or blaming the refs.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 11:11 PM)
Not team in NBA history has come back from down 3-1 since the 2-3-2 format was implemented. It's over. The most talented player in NBA history is getting his first championship. At the same age Jordan did, by the way.

Who are you trying to convince of Lebron's greatness?

Perhaps you dont remember, but when Lebron was a free agent I said Lebron was the best player on the planet and the reason I didnt want him to go to Miami was that he was good enough to win without Wade. And that going to Miami would do nothing but raise unnecessary nonsensical questions about Lebrons ability.

And before Boston came back against the Yankees, no team had done that either.

Eventually it will happen, maybe not this series, but it will.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 11:13 PM)
Right you mentioned reffing and I responded that its game 2 people likely have an issue with, not game 3 or game 4.

Responding to a post is not complaining.

Look at the post:

I think most people are just disappointed with game 2 and how it was reffed as it was a home game for OKC, the last 2 games were @ Miami, you expect the benefit to be given to them.

Notice how I dont even give my opinion. I just say "I think most people are", its merely stating what my opinion on the subject is.

In comparison complaining would be:

The refs stole this series, if it wasnt for the bulls*** no calls in game 2 the thunder would be winning.

See difference.

Notice how I also have said that this series isnt over and that OKC can still win, which is the exact opposite of fixating or blaming the refs.

Christ in a dump truck.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 11:16 PM)
Christ in a dump truck.

Really? You the person who was here about the Spoelstra no call on Westbrook's shot, now is all of a sudden the "Ive never said a word about the refs guy"

Dear Mr Kettle, Id like to introduce you to Mr. Pott

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 11:17 PM)
Really? You the person who was here about the Spoelstra no call on Westbrook's shot, now is all of a sudden the "Ive never said a word about the refs guy"

Dear Mr Kettle, Id like to introduce you to Mr. Pott

I even said I thought the refs were fine but Spo pissed me off on that play. It's over. We never have to hear about 27 year old LBJ not winning a Championship again.

I hate the NBA now.

LeBron winning is going to ruin ratings for the NBA. The hatred of the Heat has fueled a new interest in the NBA, once they win everyone is just going to get pissed and quit watching.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 11:24 PM)
A little OT, but is anyone else incredibly excited to see LeBron and Durant on the same team this summer? Should be fun to watch.

I've thought about that a lot since enjoying the Dream Team doc. Then I got sad thinking about a special kid from Chicago who can GO UPSTAIRS not participating. It should be awesome, though.

The Heat's supporting cast have shown up and then some. Battier went nuts the first two games. Last night it was Cole in the first half and Chalmers pretty much the whole game. That's been the main difference (that and LeBron). Hate the Heat until you're 6-feet under. But they've learned and matured from last year. They have heart. They don't wilt now like they did when Dallas had the audacity to challenge them. That said, this series is far from over if the Thunder can get it back to OKC.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 11:20 PM)
I even said I thought the refs were fine but Spo pissed me off on that play. It's over. We never have to hear about 27 year old LBJ not winning a Championship again.

And instead we will get back to the greatest of all time talk from ESPN.. Oh joy.

Absolutely incredible performance by Russell Westbrook. Complete bonehead play at the end should not overshadow how much he carried them last night, as the Thunder had a high chance of losing that game even without the foul. Westbrook's critics can shove it, the guy is an absolute beast and a guy where you just gotta take the good with the bad. So many clamor for a "pass first" PG for OKC, if they had one instead of Russ who the f*** would have put the ball in the hole for that team last night (besides Durant)?

The Thunder role players have absolutely killed their chances. If James Harden could have provided even HALF of what Mario Chalmers did they win that game. Dude had about 4 passes straight to nobody, missed a fast break layup in the 4th and missed several open 3's throughout the game. KD and Russ just needed one guy to step up and score a few buckets and it never happened. Meanwhile Chalmers went off for 25 and provided the Heat with countless big scores.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 08:14 AM)
And instead we will get back to the greatest of all time talk from ESPN.. Oh joy.

It depends on what type of run the Heat are about to go on, because statistically, you can't argue with LeBron being one of the best ever. He's the age that Jordan won his first title, and already more accomplished in piling up stats across the board.

LeBron can finally not be a villain, because people can finally stop being terrified of the "big three" winning a title. This is LeBron's title, and Wade and Bosh have simply been spectators.

...waits for the Thunder to make history to make this post look dumb.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 09:18 AM)
It depends on what type of run the Heat are about to go on, because statistically, you can't argue with LeBron being one of the best ever. He's the age that Jordan won his first title, and already more accomplished in piling up stats across the board.

LeBron can finally not be a villain, because people can finally stop being terrified of the "big three" winning a title. This is LeBron's title, and Wade and Bosh have simply been spectators.

This is probably your best post since before The Decision. There was part of me that was angry and bitter that LeBron didn't choose to take his talents to the Windy City. But I got over it. He's one of the more unique talents in the history of sports. Not just the NBA. It looks as if he's going to get his title. And if he does, this season, not just the playoffs, will go down as one of the singular I straight own that ass because I'm better than you runs the game has ever seen.

Something I was thinking about last night: the difference between the Heat in this years finals and last years finals is extremely noticeable. The one year of Finals experience appears to have paid massive dividends. Every game of this series has been decided by crunch time execution where the Heat have been extremely solid and the Thunder have faltered.

Bottom line...next year's finals between these two teams (with a vastly more mature OKC team) should be great.

As they always say in the NBA every great team/dynasty has to experience agony before elation. It seemed as if OKC might be able to skip that phase after knocking off Dallas, LA, and the Spurs, but here we are with a team who took their lumps in the Finals last year executing in crunch time over a team in its first rodedo.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 09:18 AM)

Age 27 was Jordan's 7th year in the league. It's LeBron's 9th. Kobe won his first at age 21 in his 4th year.

LeBron's shot at being GOAT is gone, partially because Jordan's resume reads like a myth, Kareem's longevity and dominance put him up there, Wilt was an inhuman machine, and Russell has 11 rings. Those are the four I always see as main GOAT contenders (though I obviously think it's Jordan and I don't feel Russell should be up there) and I can't see LeBron matching any of those four.

That being said, if the Heat go on a crazy run, I can see LeBron punching his way into the Top 5.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 09:50 AM)
Age 27 was Jordan's 7th year in the league. It's LeBron's 9th. Kobe won his first at age 21 in his 4th year.

LeBron's shot at being GOAT is gone, partially because Jordan's resume reads like a myth, Kareem's longevity and dominance put him up there, Wilt was an inhuman machine, and Russell has 11 rings. Those are the four I always see as main GOAT contenders (though I obviously think it's Jordan and I don't feel Russell should be up there) and I can't see LeBron matching any of those four.

That being said, if the Heat go on a crazy run, I can see LeBron punching his way into the Top 5.

And the need to pull the made for TV moment to get all his buddies together in Miami will always be held against him.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 09:50 AM)

Wait a minute. Did you just suggest that Bill Russell is one of the 4 greatest players to ever live? We're done, Q. Forever.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 10:01 AM)
And the need to pull the made for TV moment to get all his buddies together in Miami will always be held against him.

He will never lose the douche factor for that and the pre-season celebration rally.

OKC desperately needs to find at least one more player that is some threat to score, or at least guys that can hit open shots. None of their bigs really scare anyone offensively, Thabo is a huge liability, Fisher is useless if he's not hitting jumpers and you rarely see Cook.

They have no flexibility, they're playing 2.5 on 5 offensively (.5 for Ibaka occasionally hitting jumpers/finishing a simple post move) unless they play Westbrook/Harden/Durant at the same time. It gets even worse if they can't afford to keep Harden. The fact that they've gotten this far is a testament to how brilliant Durant is offensively, how good Westbrook can be, and how efficient Harden can be as a third scorer (though obviously not this series).

am I the only one that thinks it didnt look like Lebron cramped up last night? The way they were treating him and the way he was acting looked like a thigh bruise or strain or something.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 10:58 AM)
am I the only one that thinks it didnt look like Lebron cramped up last night? The way they were treating him and the way he was acting looked like a thigh bruise or strain or something.

I thought the official word was a thigh bruise.