2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 08:41 AM)
Gosh...it might be nice if there was a person who's job it was to teach players not to do things like that and to craft an offense that put them in positions where they were more likely to be effective. One could even call it a "Coach".

It blows my mind that VDN has been put in charge of molding first Derrick Rose in his first two years and now Blake Griffin. It's insane.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 08:54 AM)
The issue is he has zero post game (like most big men these days). Those 75% are open dunks and/or alley oops. The 3-9 are when space has already been created.

Very true. But why wouldn't he try to develop an actual post game as a young post player BEFORE trying to expand his range to the three point line? It's mindboggling.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 08:40 AM)
Since I normally rag on Rose for his shot selection, I guess it's time to pick out someone else. What the f*** was Blake Griffin thinking last night? He took 9 shots from 16+ feet. If you're Blake Griffin and you are as athletic/strong as anyone in the league, why would you move your game to the perimeter? There were a number of times where he'd catch the ball just inside the three-point line and instead of actually trying to get a better look, he'd just take the jumper because no one was guarding him closely. Here's a hint, Blake. No one was guarding you because you suck at shooting from that distance. I mean, the long two is a bad shot in the first place, but when your 4 is starting to take that shot as often as he is, it's even worse.

He's averaging five and a half shots per game from 16-23 feet and is shooting just 33% on those jumpers. Comparatively, he's shooting 75% at the rim (on seven attempts per game) and 49% from 3-9 feet. He's one of the better finishers in the painted area in the league and draws a s***load of fouls when he's in there. Why would he EVER take over 30% of his shots from a spot where no one will defend him and where he can't make a shot consistently?

I was amazed out how many outside shots Love took against the Bulls.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 09:57 AM)
Very true. But why wouldn't he try to develop an actual post game as a young post player BEFORE trying to expand his range to the three point line? It's mindboggling.

Because the only thing that contracting VDN makes him do is make whatever incredibly athletic play is available to him. Since there's no structure or coaching whatsoever in a system suffering from VDN, Griffin just does whatever seems right to him at the time.

That's it, I'm officially done with Carlos Boozer and done making excuses for him. The Bulls had no Rose last night, so you would think he could step up. In 25 minutes against the travesty of defense that is the Washington Wizards (who also give ZERO effort toward rebounding) he puts up 4 points and 6 boards on 7 shots.

What a waste. Amnesty him the next chance you get.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 08:59 AM)
I was amazed out how many outside shots Love took against the Bulls.

His attempted three-pointers has pretty much doubled since last year. Last season, he basically would take it when the defense gave it to him (especially when he was trailing coming up court). This year, he's running the pick and roll with Rubio a lot which frees up a number of good looks from beyond the arc.

That wasn't his best game by any means (or even an average game for Love), but at least Love (usually) has the sense to take a three instead of a long two. Plus, Love is a 41% three point shooter, so I'm usually ok with him taking a three. It makes a lot more sense than when Blake Griffin does it, since Love isn't athletic or big enough to really dominate inside like Blake does.

Crazy how premature all the "Kobe is done" talk was. I've never felt such a way about a professional athlete before. I so badly have always wanted to dislike him, but it's just too amazing to watch him play and too easy to respect the fact that he is the closest thing to Jordan in terms of winning, competitiveness, drive, and pure determination that we may ever see.

The numbers he is putting up given the severity of his wrist injury, as well as the other nagging injuries, combined with the condensed schedule...truly amazing. He just scored 88 points in a back-to-back on a little over 50% shooting.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 08:54 AM)
It blows my mind that VDN has been put in charge of molding first Derrick Rose in his first two years and now Blake Griffin. It's insane.

I still believe he stunted Rose's growth as a player from those wasted two years of development time. (scary as that sounds)

And once the Wizards actually give John Wall players who don't have the basketball I.Q. of a small infant, that would definitely help him as well. He still has to improve his jumper (and be more aggressive to the paint) but his upside is still ridiculous. Still only 20. And this is embarrassing. (in practice at that) Javale might be the dumbest one playing with Wall.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 09:54 AM)
Can someone tell me what's going on with the 76ers? They're leading the league in point differential.

They are holding teams to like 39% shooting and have 7 guys averaging between 9.7 and 15.0 ppg. :unsure:

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 09:22 AM)
Crazy how premature all the "Kobe is done" talk was. I've never felt such a way about a professional athlete before. I so badly have always wanted to dislike him, but it's just too amazing to watch him play and too easy to respect the fact that he is the closest thing to Jordan in terms of winning, competitiveness, drive, and pure determination that we may ever see.

The numbers he is putting up given the severity of his wrist injury, as well as the other nagging injuries, combined with the condensed schedule...truly amazing. He just scored 88 points in a back-to-back on a little over 50% shooting.

I hate to nitpick but Kobe is nowhere near MJ in terms of reg season stats, playoffs avg. and Finals accomplishments...the only thing he has is a similar style of play (he modeled his game after 23) but KB is nowhere near MJ.

Ok, reread your post and you mention his competitive drive, will to win etc., and I agree. :lol

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 10:06 AM)
I hate to nitpick but Kobe is nowhere near MJ in terms of reg season stats, playoffs avg. and Finals accomplishments...the only thing he has is a similar style of play (he modeled his game after 23) but KB is nowhere near MJ.

That would be why I CLEARLY stated: "in terms of winning, competitiveness, drive, and pure determination that we may ever see."

None of the disparities you pointed out fall under any of those categories.

Edited by WHarris1

Not everything in sports is stats based.

Ok, reread your post and you mention his competitive drive, will to win etc., and I agree. :lol

He also said closest and it's true, the closest player you'll ever see to Jordan is Kobe, unless Rose grows 3 inches. It doesn't mean "close" just "closer than every other shooting guard ever"

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 10:07 AM)
That would be why I CLEARLY stated: "in terms of winning, competitiveness, drive, and pure determination that we may ever see."

None of the disparities you pointed out fall under any of those categories.

My bad, I thought I was gonna have to set straight another KB=MJ, I reread your post and I agree...

Imagine if you could combine KB's drive, killer instinct and will to win with LBJ's athletic talent...that would be unfair to the rest of the league.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 10:16 AM)
My bad, I thought I was gonna have to set straight another KB=MJ, I reread your post and I agree...

Imagine if you could combine KB's drive, killer instinct and will to win with LBJ's athletic talent...that would be unfair to the rest of the league.

EXACTLY. No one will ever be Michael, but in terms of a guy who goes out every single night and plays balls to the wall, has nearly a psychotic competitive spirit, guts out injuries, and is simply a winner, Kobe Bryant is the next best thing to MJ.

If LBJ had what Kobe and Michael have, the rest of the league would be playing for 2nd place.

I have seen a few articles talking about how Kobe has recognized a similar mentality.

"I just told him to stay healthy and continue the job he's doing," Bryant said of their November postgame talk. "I don't think you can develop (a killer instinct). You either have it or you don't. He's had it since he was in high school.

Edited by WHarris1

Only one who can stop LeBron is LeBron, his post game, even with his lack of fundamentals is basically unstoppable.

Watching yesterday's Heat/Clippers game, if I'm Spo I tell , f*** that, I demand LBJ get into the block on every posession at the last 2-3 mins of the game, who's gonna stop that??

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 10:29 AM)
Only one who can stop LeBron is LeBron, his post game, even with his lack of fundamentals is basically unstoppable.

Watching yesterday's Heat/Clippers game, if I'm Spo I tell , f*** that, I demand LBJ get into the block on every posession at the last 2-3 mins of the game, who's gonna stop that??

It's truly baffling that here we are, his 9th year in the league, and he still doesn't have a dominant low post game. Should be money in the bank down the stretch. The number of little s***s you see defend him in crunch time off of switches and he still can't take them to the post. Latest example, Chauncey Billups last night.

EDIT: Yes, I realize we are talking about a guy averaging 29 points on 57% FGs. The point is he still has the same damn problems in crunch time, and a strong post game would be the easiest way to correct that. Instead of attempting 2 shots in 4Q + OT against GSW and going 1-6 in 4Q + OT against LAC, he should be beasting mother f***ers on the low block.

Edited by WHarris1

Part of Lebron's post game problem comes from the Heat's lack of C who can really hit a jump shot. As soon as Lebron gets below the free throw line its almost an immediate double team from the big who isnt guarding Bosh.

If Miami could run the swing offense and have a big man who could threaten from around the arc area, it would be pretty difficult to beat. As of now though you just simply double Lebron and let the other non-Bosh big try and beat you.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)
It's truly baffling that here we are, his 9th year in the league, and he still doesn't have a dominant low post game. Should be money in the bank down the stretch. The number of little s***s you see defend him in crunch time off of switches and he still can't take them to the post. Latest example, Chauncey Billups last night.

EDIT: Yes, I realize we are talking about a guy averaging 29 points on 57% FGs. The point is he still has the same damn problems in crunch time, and a strong post game would be the easiest way to correct that. Instead of attempting 2 shots in 4Q + OT against GSW and going 1-6 in 4Q + OT against LAC, he should be beasting mother f***ers on the low block.

Yeah, he still tries.to blow past his defender (Billups last night) and he did beat him once but he's making it easier on the defense because the help can step in and he usually puts up a tough shot but LBJ should be telling his team to clear the f*** out ad back his man down, he'll get a much better shot for himself or for an open teammate if the double team him.

It's knda infuriating to see LBJ not use his God given talents to maximum use...

His menatlity gives the rest of the league a chance at beating him (hello Mavs).

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 09:22 AM)

I think alot of his scoring this year is due to not having the triangle offense "in his way."

He's got more open space on the floor to do his thing, which will result in more shots that he wants.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 10:37 AM)
Part of Lebron's post game problem comes from the Heat's lack of C who can really hit a jump shot. As soon as Lebron gets below the free throw line its almost an immediate double team from the big who isnt guarding Bosh.

If Miami could run the swing offense and have a big man who could threaten from around the arc area, it would be pretty difficult to beat. As of now though you just simply double Lebron and let the other non-Bosh big try and beat you.

But you really don't need a C who can hit jumpers, say Anthony's man leave's him to doubleteam Bron, all Anthony has to do is cut to the rim for a lay up or dunk.As soon as you double LBJ, the D will be scrambling and you'll get a open shot swing the ball, it's basic basketball 101, especially considering LeBron is an excellent passer.

The Heat were running Wade on ISO last night, totally unnecessary and stupid when you should have LBJ down in the post.If I were a Heat fan, I would be yelling at my TV screen, lol