2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 01:50 PM)
HAHAHA.

@KingJames: Unexceptable from the Line! Simple as that. Back at it on Friday night

That's what happens when you don't go to college.

Edited by chw42

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 05:54 PM)
That's something he should have learned in high school or prep school.

That's what happens when you're an idiot.

Also, Horford, Lopez injured, Chandler isn't doing too hot.

Joakim actually has a chance to make the All-Star team. What.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 08:04 PM)
Mort pathetic than what? The west and their 1 team?

west > east

And it's not really all that close. The strength of a conference overall is determined by the 5-10 spots. Put anyone of the Spurs, Nuggets, Blazers or Clippers in the east and their win total exponentially rises.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 08:12 PM)
west > east

And it's not really all that close. The strength of a conference overall is determined by the 5-10 spots. Put anyone of the Spurs, Nuggets, Blazers or Clippers in the east and their win total exponentially rises.

I think the strength is determined at the top. Which the West seriously lacks besides OKC.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 08:13 PM)
I think the strength is determined at the top. Which the West seriously lacks besides OKC.

Last I checked, 4 of the last 5 champs came from the west. This isn't even arguable. The west is clearly better from top to bottom. This isn't meant for Bulls homers to converge together to make the conference look better than it is to make the Bulls look better. They're beating the awful teams they should beat. Just as they did last year. The east still sucks.

Edited by Jordan4life

J4L,

There are different ways to define strength of conference. I dont really care whether the West or East is better, its pretty irrelevant as 82 (66 this season) gives basically every team a chance to play each other, thus you can base match ups on team v team, not on what ifs.

That being said, I personally think that top is what defines a conference. I dont think it really matters what happened 4-5 years ago, Lebron/Wade/Bosh werent together then and the Bulls werent nearly as strong.

What does this really matter, 8 teams make the playoffs, anyone thats remotely good has a chance to win.

I'm agreeing with J4L.

The east has powers in the Bulls and Heat, but the Hawks (before Horford going down), Celtics, Magic, 76ers, and Knicks had a punchers chance in hell of taking the Bulls or Heat down.

Meanwhile, the west has one power in the Thunder, but the Lakers, Spurs, Nuggets, Trail Blazers, Clippers, and Memphis before (Z-Bo going down) could have all taken them down.

Also, if Dwight is traded to the West, then Noah becomes the East All-Star Starter. Maybe he'll get off his ass then.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 08:54 PM)
I'm agreeing with J4L.

The east has powers in the Bulls and Heat, but the Hawks (before Horford going down), Celtics, Magic, 76ers, and Knicks had a punchers chance in hell of taking the Bulls or Heat down.

Meanwhile, the west has one power in the Thunder, but the Lakers, Spurs, Nuggets, Trail Blazers, Clippers, and Memphis before (Z-Bo going down) could have all taken them down.

Also, if Dwight is traded to the West, then Noah becomes the East All-Star Starter. Maybe he'll get off his ass then.

This is all I was saying. But me saying the east sucks = me taking credit away from the Bulls, I guess. The Wizards, Nets, Pistons, Cavs, Bobcats, Raptors and Bucks are all awful. The Celtics are relics and running on fumes. The Knicks have depth and defensive issues (the latter was something I expected to be better). The Magic have a severely flawed roster around Dwight. The Hawks just lost arguably their best player (Joe Johnson sucks). Pacers and Sixers are nice little surprises right now. But nobody expects anything from them in the long run. When you can pretty much predict the conference finals after two weeks that's pretty much a combination of the top two teams being really good and the rest of the conference being extremely average to pathetic.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 09:12 PM)
Hell, with Dwight still in Orlando I don't think any team in the West outside of the Thunder is better than them.

lmao.

Lakers > Magic

Mavs > Magic

Spurs > Magic

Blazers > Magic

Clippers > Magic

Nuggets/Magic could go either way.

The Grizzles aren't healthy. But they would definitely have a case. There's a reason Dwight wants out. And it's not because he loves Jason Richardson.

Spurs depending on if Manu is healthy. But he's always hurt. So might have to eliminate them.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 09:16 PM)
lmao.

Lakers > Magic

Mavs > Magic

Spurs > Magic

Blazers > Magic

Clippers > Magic

The Grizzles aren't healthy. But they would definitely have a case. There's a reason Dwight wants out. And it's not because he loves Jason Richardson.

Spurs depending on if Manu is healthy. But he's always hurt. So might have to eliminate them.

Yeah you grossly overate the West, The Clippers won't be there until they fire Vinny and Spurs/Lakers you are living in past. Blazers had a hot start but I think Magic are better and Mavs started off slow but we will see how they look like in a month.

By your own definition:

When you can pretty much predict the conference finals after two weeks that's pretty much a combination of the top two teams being really good and the rest of the conference being extremely average to pathetic.

So if you were picking the Bulls/Heat no matter who is in from the West, doesnt that mean the rest of the NBA is extremely average to pathetic?

And you are changing the parameters, now you are saying "quality of conference top to bottom" so that would include what bottom feeder is better than another bottom feeder.

The original statement was "strength of conference" and there is definitely an argument that a conference with 2 excellent teams has more strength than a conference with a bunch of good teams.

I dont think it matters, 2 weeks in Im pretty sure most people would say that theyd take whoever wins a Heat/Bulls series over the West (unless Howard or another big deal happens).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 09:16 PM)
lmao.

Lakers > Magic

Mavs > Magic

Spurs > Magic

Blazers > Magic

Clippers > Magic

There's no way the Spurs are better.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 09:08 PM)
Which teams from the West if moved to the East would you pick over the Heat or Bulls?

That was not at all what he was saying.

Powers

East: Bulls, Heat

West: Thunder

Second Tier Contenders (Could beat powers)

East: Celtics (built for playoffs)

West: Lakers, Spurs, Trail Blazers, Nuggets, Clippers, Mavericks

Spurs only if Manu comes back ready to gun.

Third Tier Contenders (Massive upset if they beat power)

East: Magic, Knicks, Pacers, 76ers, Hawks

West: Grizzlies

Can't contend, but can make playoffs/.500 record

East:

West: Jazz, Suns

Bad

East: Nets, Raptors, Cavaliers, Bucks, Pistons, Bobcats, Wizards

West: Timberwolves, Kings, Warriors, Rockets, Hornets

Timberwolves could move up a spot.

Edited by Quinarvy