2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 04:39 PM)
If you say so. Dude just said he'd rather have Deng than Carmelo. And I'm the troll? That's like me saying Joakim Noah > Dwight Howard. Take that garbage anywhere else and he'd get banned.

There can always be two trolls in a thread. I mean, you said you'd take AK-47 and the corpse of Shawn Marion over Luol Deng.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you say so. Dude just said he'd rather have Deng than Carmelo. And I'm the troll? That's like me saying Joakim Noah > Dwight Howard. Take that garbage anywhere else and he'd get banned.

That isnt even remotely close the same comparison. I said I rather have Deng until Carmelo gives max effort, because looking at Nuggets they actually improved with guys who seem to want to win.

And you claimed AK47 is better than Deng. I know there is no way in hell you believe that.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 04:41 PM)
That isnt even remotely close the same comparison. I said I rather have Deng until Carmelo gives max effort, because looking at Nuggets they actually improved with guys who seem to want to win.

I really don't know where this "max effort" bulls*** comes from. Carmelo Anthony is a f***ing beast. He's taken his Nuggets deep into the playoffs before, and he's always given "effort". I'm certain the "will he won't he" trade rumors last year negatively affected the Nuggets. Melo can score at will and does. He's greatly improved facets of his game including 3 point shooting, rebounding, and distribution. He's sneaky-good in pretty much all facets of his game, and an average defender.

I want some proof to your claim that Carmelo Anthony doesn't give max-effort. He works his ass off and has since he was at Syracuse.

It's these misconceptions, I guess because of cornrows, that continue to have people criminally underrate Carmelo Anthony.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 04:45 PM)
I really don't know where this "max effort" bulls*** comes from. Carmelo Anthony is a f***ing beast. He's taken his Nuggets deep into the playoffs before, and he's always given "effort". I'm certain the "will he won't he" trade rumors last year negatively affected the Nuggets. Melo can score at will and does. He's greatly improved facets of his game including 3 point shooting, rebounding, and distribution. He's sneaky-good in pretty much all facets of his game, and an average defender.

I want some proof to your claim that Carmelo Anthony doesn't give max-effort. He works his ass off and has since he was at Syracuse.

It's these misconceptions, I guess because of cornrows, that continue to have people criminally underrate Carmelo Anthony.

Why would cornrows give that misconception, for all his negatives Allen Iverson was clearly a max effort person on the court. I mean when I watch him he is so talented but instead of working for shots he just takes lazy turnaround jumpers while being covered and on defense it looks like he doesn't care. I think, he could easily be a top5 player in the league but he is more or less content where he is at.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 04:48 PM)
Deng's PER from 2009-2011: 14.7, 16.1, 15.5.

AK's PER from 2009-2011: 16.8, 18.2, 16.6.

Deng's Minutes from 2009-2011: 7,524

AK's Minutes from 2009-2011: 5,313

LOL EDIT

Edited by Steve9347

I'm not a big Melo fan, he can score but he's a bit of a ball hog, once he has the ball, he's gonna shoot.

There's no way I'm gonna buy Melo as an average defender, he sucks at defending in Denver and now in NY.

He also comes off as a selfish player IMO.There are a lot of SFs I rather have than him, scoring isn't the end all be all of basketball.

The reason that Carmelo gets questioned is because some believe he had as much raw talent as Kobe, he just seemingly cares more about making money, having a good time being in NY, than winning rings.

Right or wrong, it has nothing to do with cornrows as he had those in college and still was considered a freak (most had him rated behind Lebron coming out that year).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 04:55 PM)
Um, what?

OK. I see the correction. And? He's been more durable. He's not a better player.

AK47 hasn't even come close to what Deng did last season in terms of win shares since 2003.

Durability = value.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 04:53 PM)
I'm not a big Melo fan, he can score but he's a bit of a ball hog, once he has the ball, he's gonna shoot.

There's no way I'm gonna buy Melo as an average defender, he sucks at defending in Denver and now in NY.

He also comes off as a selfish player IMO.There are a lot of SFs I rather have than him, scoring isn't the end all be all of basketball.

His rebounding numbers are on par with Deng's (both just over 6 on their careers), his field goal percentage is on par with Deng's despite many more attempts over his career, his 3pt % is on par as well, but much better the last couple years, he steals as many balls as Luol Deng does, and he gets to the line 5 more times per game (effort). He also passes the ball better, as evidenced by his superior assist numbers.

If he's selfish, so is Luol Deng.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 06:30 PM)
He also passes the ball better, as evidenced by his superior assist numbers.

If he's selfish, so is Luol Deng.

Now wait, I actually agree with you that Melo >>>> Deng, but there's a layer here you've forgotten...and that's touches of the ball, and how the ball is in people's hands. If Carmelo is in an offense where the ball is in his hands a lot more (almost certainly true), and the team builds the offense around Carmelo as an offensive threat, then Melo's assist numbers are going to be higher simply from him having the ball in his hands more.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 05:34 PM)
Now wait, I actually agree with you that Melo >>>> Deng, but there's a layer here you've forgotten...and that's touches of the ball, and how the ball is in people's hands. If Carmelo is in an offense where the ball is in his hands a lot more (almost certainly true), and the team builds the offense around Carmelo as an offensive threat, then Melo's assist numbers are going to be higher simply from him having the ball in his hands more.

Carmelo does have a higher assist % (by like 4%).

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 06:38 PM)
Carmelo does have a higher assist % (by like 4%).

Not sure what that stat is, is it assist/touches?

The other things that will play into it, at the percent level, are what kind of guys each player gets to pass the ball to and where guys fit in the offense. No one is going to leave Derrick Rose open to double Luol Deng, whereas a great number of people would leave someone open to double Melo, thus creating an assist opportunity for Melo in a case where Deng has a clean shot.

(And yes, this still does not mean that Deng is better than Melo, I'm only disputing the use of that statistic).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 05:41 PM)
Not sure what that stat is, is it assist/touches?

The other things that will play into it, at the percent level, are what kind of guys each player gets to pass the ball to and where guys fit in the offense. No one is going to leave Derrick Rose open to double Luol Deng, whereas a great number of people would leave someone open to double Melo, thus creating an assist opportunity for Melo in a case where Deng has a clean shot.

(And yes, this still does not mean that Deng is better than Melo, I'm only disputing the use of that statistic).

AST% = 100 * AST / (((MP / (Tm MP / 5)) * Tm FG) - FG)

So it sort of takes touches into account (with FG), but not completely.