2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 08:49 AM)
Say what you want about Doug Collins, but he's just made another unwatchable team watchable again. I don't know if Krause and JR were incorrect about his ability to take a team from point B to point C, but is there anyone better taking a team from point A to point B? The Bulls he had Jordan, but Detroit, Washington and now Philadelphia were garbage when he took over.

I once said what I wanted about doug collins about three years ago and I was banned from here. What I spoke about doesn't seem quite as far fetched in light of what happened at Penn state and Syracuse now.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MAX @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 11:50 AM)
I once said what I wanted about doug collins about three years ago and I was banned from here. What I spoke about doesn't seem quite as far fetched in light of what happened at Penn state and Syracuse now.

What? Are you serious? There has to be more to it than saying what you wanted about Doug Collins. GMAB, The Mod and Admin team goes through a lot of deliberation for the most part when it comes to someone getting banned. You have to earn it unless you are an obvious spammer, obvious troll, or if you are Brando

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 01:24 PM)
Thibs >>>> Doug Collins

Perhaps, especially for the long haul, but if you have been awful for a while, Collins' brain is one you may want to pick. He has a knack of making historically terrible teams at least playoff teams. His act may or may not get old quickly, but if I'm running the Bucks or the T Wolves, I'd hire him in a heartbeat to coach and if he doesn't want to do that anymore or gets sick of it, make him the GM, and/or team President. I always loved when he was coaching the Bulls that when the game was over, he looked like he just played 48 minutes. He would be soaked in sweat. He teaches guys how to win.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 02:33 PM)
Perhaps, especially for the long haul, but if you have been awful for a while, Collins' brain is one you may want to pick. He has a knack of making historically terrible teams at least playoff teams. His act may or may not get old quickly, but if I'm running the Bucks or the T Wolves, I'd hire him in a heartbeat to coach and if he doesn't want to do that anymore or gets sick of it, make him the GM, and/or team President. I always loved when he was coaching the Bulls that when the game was over, he looked like he just played 48 minutes. He would be soaked in sweat. He teaches guys how to win.

I'll take Rick Adelman thank you very much

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 04:34 PM)
I'll take Rick Adelman thank you very much

So Felix...

Will I regret dropping Derrick Williams and Michael Beasley from my fantasy team?

Adelman doesn't seem to like Williams very much this year.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 15, 2012 -> 03:46 PM)
So Felix...

Will I regret dropping Derrick Williams and Michael Beasley from my fantasy team?

Adelman doesn't seem to like Williams very much this year.

Beasley's numbers won't stay this bad all year, but if your league places any emphasis on efficiency, I doubt you'll feel too bad dropping him.

Williams is a different question, but his minutes probably aren't going to make a jump anytime soon. If he's playing less than 20 minutes a game now, while Beasley/Webster are out, it's probably not a good sign for when they both get back. Who knows, maybe he'll start to eat into Tolliver's playing time instead, since Tolliver has been pretty bad so far this year. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 09:57 AM)
I'm trying to find a statistic and was going to see if anyone can help. I'm trying to look up what Kobe's record was scoring 40+ per game (W/L) and what Jordan's record was scoring 40+.

I haven't found Jordan's yet, but...

-- Kobe has scored 40+ points in 111 regular season games & 11 playoff games for a combined 122 games.

-- Lakers have a combined 87-35 winning record for 71% win rate both regular season and playoffs.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 10:57 AM)
I'm trying to find a statistic and was going to see if anyone can help. I'm trying to look up what Kobe's record was scoring 40+ per game (W/L) and what Jordan's record was scoring 40+.

It could take some time but you could probably do it just with the Basketball-reference.com game logs for both. If you're going to spend 20 minutes searching, you'll save time if you give up and do it yourself.

You could export each season into Excel, sort by "Points", and then compile W's and L's for every game where ach is above 40.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 10:04 AM)
It could take some time but you could probably do it just with the Basketball-reference.com game logs for both. If you're going to spend 20 minutes searching, you'll save time if you give up and do it yourself.

You could export each season into Excel, sort by "Points", and then compile W's and L's for every game where ach is above 40.

It's not even that hard. Basketball-Reference has the free Play Index, which makes any sort of research like that incredibly easy.

Kobe 40-point games: http://bkref.com/tiny/7Iubi

Jordan 40-point games: http://bkref.com/tiny/Ibvtr

Go nuts

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 10:09 AM)
It's not even that hard. Basketball-Reference has the free Play Index, which makes any sort of research like that incredibly easy.

Kobe 40-point games: http://bkref.com/tiny/7Iubi

Jordan 40-point games: http://bkref.com/tiny/Ibvtr

Go nuts

Are those Jordan's regular season numbers? I couldn't find his NBA record 63 point night in 85'-86' playoffs against Boston. (which was a loss BTW :lol:)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 10:21 AM)
Are those Jordan's regular season numbers? I couldn't find his NBA record 63 point night in 85'-86' playoffs against Boston. (which was a loss BTW :lol:)

"In a single game, from 1946-47 to 2011-12, in the regular season, requiring Points >= 40, sorted by descending Points."

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 10:22 AM)
"In a single game, from 1946-47 to 2011-12, in the regular season, requiring Points >= 40, sorted by descending Points."

I am an idiot. Happens when your running on 2 hours of sleep. Carry on.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 10:22 AM)
I am an idiot. Happens when your running on 2 hours of sleep. Carry on.

The weird thing is if I tell it to include playoff games, his 63-point game isn't there. Oddly enough, it looks like that game isn't even in their game log database. That's VERY weird.

(unless I'm having a massive brain fart as well, which I wouldn't completely rule out)

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 10:51 AM)
Derrick Rose (toe) was wearing a protective boot when he arrived at the FedEx Forum in Memphis -- Monday's matinee tips off at 1pm EST.

Gotta say, I'll be pissed to have stayed up all this time and Rose doesn't play.