LETS MAKE A LIST JAN 2012 COMMENT THREAD

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 12:28 AM)
I was pleasantly surprised by the newest Chickenfoot album. Obviously Satriani and Chad Smith are going to hold down their own, but I thought Hagar actually did a nice here as well. Of course Michael Anthony is never going to be any great shakes as a bassist, but it's kinda funny to see him making relevant music when the other 3/4 of the original VH lineup haven't done anything of relevance in at least the last 15 years.

Hagar reminds me more of a novelty act, although not as bad as DLR. Both of them would have done well in Vaudville

It always surprises me to see an album that comes out so late in the year (in this case The Black Keys album dropped in December) ranked so high on people's/publications lists. It sometimes takes me MONTHS and several listens to really appreciate ANY album I like. Very rarely does an album grab me right away, though it does happen...

QUOTE (Cali @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 11:21 AM)
It always surprises me to see an album that comes out so late in the year (in this case The Black Keys album dropped in December) ranked so high on people's/publications lists. It sometimes takes me MONTHS and several listens to really appreciate ANY album I like. Very rarely does an album grab me right away, though it does happen...

If I like something it usually grabs me right away. Very seldom have I heard an album and had to listen to it a number of times to appreciate it or like it more.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 12:38 PM)
It's unlikely anyone else voted for the Muppet Movie soundtrack.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)
In Texas it is more like Hank Williams... Senior.

The king is dead, man. ;)

This list had me listening to The King is Dead on my drives to and from work for the past couple days. I was a little surprised it was so high.

Rex, thank you for putting this list together. They are so much work, but so much fun.

Wow. Half of my list made it onto Soxtalk's. Color me surprised.

The King is Dead is a great choice for #1. January Hymn reminds me of my childhood in the South Suburbs during the winter. Such amazing lyrics. Saw them last year at The Greek Theatre here and they were phenomenal. Colin's voice live might be even better than it is on the albums, which is why I will be picking up the live record when it comes out this year...

Thanks for the kudos. Much appreciated. I have to say, this has been a year where I've really fallen in love with Chillwave music. There has been some really interesting downtempo electronic stuff coming out. All sounding vaguely organic and lo-fi, but still just really kind of catchy and grabbing.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 20, 2012 -> 06:48 AM)
What he said. :cheers

Maybe one of these years this dinosaur will actually get around to hearing more than a handful of new albums.

Tell me about it. It is a low priority for me. Now I have to trip over a new artist or album.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Jan 20, 2012 -> 07:14 AM)
Thanks for the kudos. Much appreciated. I have to say, this has been a year where I've really fallen in love with Chillwave music. There has been some really interesting downtempo electronic stuff coming out. All sounding vaguely organic and lo-fi, but still just really kind of catchy and grabbing.

Another electronic sub-genre I need to get up to speed on. Can you link a few gems?