Carlos Quentin traded to Padres

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 11:14 AM)
This wasn't rebuilding, it was a salary dump. Everyone around the majors seems to be getting tons in return when they trade away veteran players except the Sox.

Word. It's so frustrating.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 01:19 PM)
The Braves were very interested, IIRC

No, no they weren't. It made absolutely no sense, they needed a CF and speed not another corner outfielder, I said it at the time: the only team showing ANY interest was the Braves and even that was being shot down across the board by anyone familiar with the Braves situation.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 08:22 PM)
No, no they weren't. It made absolutely no sense, they needed a CF not a strict corner outfielder, I said it at the time: the only team showing ANY interest was the Braves and even that was being shot down across the board by anyone familiar with the Braves situation.

Who was the team that said they "loved" Quentin. I swear every report I remember reading around the deadline was that teams like Quentin but Kenny was asking for the moon.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 01:22 PM)
No, no they weren't. It made absolutely no sense, they needed a CF and speed not another corner outfielder, I said it at the time: the only team showing ANY interest was the Braves and even that was being shot down across the board by anyone familiar with the Braves situation.

I remember White Sox fans being interested in trading CQ to the Braves, but that's about it.

Quentin wasn't going to get a long term deal here, and teams know that. There are lots of guys like him on other teams, who have shown flashes and then shown inconistency.

Teams are going to look at all those guys and try to get them for cheap. We have likely just been waiting it out for two years and finally are caving to save the $.

Whether injury-related or not, he was not consistent enough to be in high demand.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 01:23 PM)
Who was the team that said they "loved" Quentin. I swear every report I remember reading around the deadline was that teams like Quentin but Kenny was asking for the moon.

There wasn't one, it was the Braves and Padres and as I said: the Braves were starting Nate McLouth and Jordan Schafer in CF with no one else that could play the position, Quentin made no sense especially for a club that's no longer comfortable unloading prized prospects.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 01:18 PM)
The Sox got 2 pitching prospects for a guy who breaks down every year.. I call this trade a win for the Sox

We mock the Cubs, but Sox fans might seriously have the lowest standards in baseball. I was fine with the Santos trade, but we will convince ourselves that any move was good.

Oh well, it's New Years Eve. I'm going to go have fun and forget about baseball for a while.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 01:17 PM)
ie: Sean Marshall

Cubs got more for Marshall than Sox have for Quentin and Santos combined

Veryyyy debatable.

Wood is a very mediocre young starter, who showed almost nothing last season, I dont see him worth a whole lot, definitely not up to Molina's status.

The other two guys are mediocre prospects as well; Sappelt is probably a 4th OF and Torreyes played at Low A and is a crapshoot (especially at his size).

LF: Prado/Constanza

CF: McLouth/Schafer/Constanza

RF: Heyward

3B: Jones/Prado

SS: Gonzalez

2B: Uggla

Prado is capable of playing LF, 3B, SS, 2B (though SS is a stretch). Now where is the glaring weakness and the easiest fit? Yeah, CF. In order to take on Quentin they'd have to bench either Chipper Jones or Martin Prado. Yeah, Jones was banged up a lot last year but you can't put him on the bench. It made no sense.

We mock the Cubs, but Sox fans might seriously have the lowest standards in baseball. I was fine with the Santos trade, but we will convince ourselves that any move was good.

Oh well, it's New Years Eve. I'm going to go have fun and forget about baseball for a while.

I kinda of think you like to overrate the value of Sox players

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)

C'mon Milk, there wasn't anything out there for CQ really, it would be hard to "win" this trade just because you won't get a big name hot prospect for him. I'm just glad we finally aren't going to have to pay him $7 for 120 games on a losing team.