Carlos Quentin traded to Padres

LittleHurt05

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Salary dumps....mostly we've gotten a bunch of whatever prospects for current major league players.

Hell, it may turn out roses, who knows, but it looks like the workings of amateurs and yes I realize KW was a large part of the 2005 title team, but I am thinking that was just lighting in the bottle and not the results of true brilliance.

I'm a Sox fan, have been for 30+ years so I'm riding wherever this wagon goes, but the doubts remain about the current direction.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 09:28 PM)
Well, I haven't completely given up on the idea we might be able to contend in the s***ty Central if all goes exceedingly well (though loss of Mark and CQ make me think we'll be way worse than last year) so I'd be against dealing Floyd at this time.

I'm not all that high on Zach and KW is the guy who brought in Teahen in the first place so getting rid of him, while nice, is not a feather in KW cap.

If you don't give Viciedo regular AB's now, when do you plan on him ever developing? Just keep CQ in the outfield indefinitely because he's more familiar, regardless of contract concerns, defensive liabilities and injury history?

Also, you really should care about how much he gets paid, because each baseball team has something akin to a self-imposed salary cap. Would you say you didn't care about a basketball player's salary if they were an okay player getting a max contract? For every dollar your team spends on one player, it's a dollar your team is not spending on another one who is potentially better. Unless we're talking about the Yankees. And even they appear to have a salary limit based on the luxury tax.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 08:20 PM)
I hope so but he disappointed greatly last September.

He was never quite the same after that hand injury and perhaps not getting promoted when he was the hottest hitter in the minors distracted him...

So we'll see what we actually have for the first time this year, both offensively and defensively.

I certainly wouldn't put more precedence or emphasis on his 2011 MLB stats and throw out the progress (especially plate patience/walks) he made the last 2 years in AAA.

Going off a brief set of AB's, we might be clamoring for Tyler Flowers as the starting catcher, too.

And DeAza still needs to prove himself over a full season.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 01:44 AM)
I may get blasted for this, but...

While Buehrle was a very good and reliable guy and an innings eater, but he was not a world-beating pitcher by any stretch. His loss may not be as devastating as people think.

Unless Mark suddenly breaks down and hurts his arm, which I guess is possible, his loss is HUGE to our pitching staff.

Innings, innings, innings.

Quality start after quality start.

How can the Sox not miss him greatly? The man is the definition of solid, effective starting pitcher.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 10:29 PM)
Unless Mark suddenly breaks down and hurts his arm, which I guess is possible, his loss is HUGE to our pitching staff.

Innings, innings, innings.

Quality start after quality start.

How can the Sox not miss him greatly? The man is the definition of solid, effective starting pitcher.

He only pitched 12 innings more than Floyd and his WHIP was 1.30.

I said that he was a good pitcher - I just don't think that 200 IP is a huge thing anymore.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 10:45 PM)
He only pitched 12 innings more than Floyd and his WHIP was 1.30.

I said that he was a good pitcher - I just don't think that 200 IP is a huge thing anymore.

there's something to be said about a guy you just don't have to worry about.

our entire rotation is a question mark. Danks is pretty solid, and so is Floyd, but the other 3... we just don't know. Having a solid, steady guy the anchor the rotation that you don't have to waste a thought on is rare.

that said, statistically speaking I don't think we should see THAT much of a downgrade. In the AL from this point on MB is a 4.00 pitcher. in the NL he'll be low to mid 3's.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 08:09 PM)
I'd like to think we all are......

But of course

I just really enjoy watching KW pick up reclamation projects for Cooper... for me that interest started with Loiza back in what... '03? :)

Can pitchers and catchers report already or do we really have to wait 7 more weeks :P

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 11:24 PM)
But of course

I just really enjoy watching KW pick up reclamation projects for Cooper... for me that interest started with Loiza back in what... '03? :)

Can pitchers and catchers report already or do we really have to wait 7 more weeks :P

Actually, I meant to say "I'd like to think we all are......minus Greg, who is almost certainly rooting against any move made by Kenny."

But yeah, can't wait for ST, especially since I will be flying down to Florida for some games!

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 10:05 PM)
I'm hoping Simon Castro pans out.

I think he will. KW/Coop/Scouting has a great track record with these type of pickups.

Castro, IMO, has tremendous potential even after this past season.

Plus, Quentin had to get dealt. Getting anything near this value is great success.

Don't know if this was posted somewhere here:

http://projectprospect.com/article/2010/10...scouting-report

but good read, even though this was prior to his 2011 season.

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 01:30 AM)
I think he will. KW/Coop/Scouting has a great track record with these type of pickups.

Castro, IMO, has tremendous potential even after this past season.

Plus, Quentin had to get dealt. Getting anything near this value is great success.

Don't know if this was posted somewhere here:

http://projectprospect.com/article/2010/10...scouting-report

but good read, even though this was prior to his 2011 season.

My god, he looks just like a young Contreras in that picture.....

1130329310_2804.jpg4e8bc4c4618da.image.jpg

Edited by JoeCoolMan24