Carlos Quentin traded to Padres

LittleHurt05

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 01:02 PM)
Simon Castro used to be a pretty good prospect.

Via Sickels 2010 Year in Review:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/8/8/16...dres-top-20-pre

Then a disasterous 2011 happened, and he fell off the 2012 list entirely.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/8/4/23...pects-in-review

It's not enough that most of our impact major league moves are for reclamation projects, now the prospects we acquire have to be retreads as well.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 02:09 PM)
I forgot Lillibridge. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Sox go after a lefty hitting outfielder now.

Nothing above league minimum for God's sake.

We finally have clear spots for Viciedo and De Aza, please let them actually play!

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 02:05 PM)
Couldn't agree more. Always seems like KW gives up a fortune to get "his guys", but then he gets significantly less in return (at least since the Garcia trade to Phil).

He probably should have been let go the moment he said he wasn't concerned with winning trades on 'The Club'.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 02:10 PM)
It's not enough that most of our impact major league moves are for reclamation projects, now the prospects we acquire have to be retreads as well.

If you want to trade for quality, you might well have to trade away quality. This trade is not the Sox trading away quality, this is the Sox trading away a problem out of a position of weakness.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 02:00 PM)
We still should have gotten something of value. I'm sick and tired of getting nothing for our guys, with our best hauls ever being merely "fair value".

This ^^^^ Glad Kenny held on to him at deadline last year. GODDAMN!!! EFF ME...that's the best return you could get for Q?!?!?! I'm friggin pissed off right now!

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 01:13 PM)
This ^^^^ Glad Kenny held on to him at deadline last year. GODDAMN!!! EFF ME...that's the best return you could get for Q?!?!?! I'm friggin pissed off right now!

His value really isn't that high, don't be mad at KW for this, be mad at CQ for not staying healthy.

You think a ton of teams will be lining up to take on that $7-8mm for an oft-injured, decent bat but below average defender corner OF? You guys are crazy if you expected anything special coming back.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 01:14 PM)
This wasn't rebuilding, it was a salary dump. Everyone around the majors seems to be getting tons in return when they trade away veteran players except the Sox.

What are these trades you speak of!?

Salary dump. Nothing more. Nothing less.

If they were going to get anything, it would have been in a package deal with either Floyd or Thornton.

Hopefully Kenny is done now, and they just try to win the first few months of the season. If not, they'll have a lot to offer in July.

Interesting that in John Sickels top minor league prospects heading into 2011, Sale was 6, Zach Stewart was 33, and Simon Castro was 35.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/10/5/2...-they-performed

I don't have a problem with this trade. Both Castro and Hernandez have had some success in the upper minors and are close to big league ready. Stock up on the arms and some should pan out. Quentin wasn't going to net much.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 01:16 PM)
His value really isn't that high, don't be mad at KW for this, be mad at CQ for not staying healthy.

You think a ton of teams will be lining up to take on that $7-8mm for an oft-injured, decent bat but below average defender corner OF? You guys are crazy if you expected anything special coming back.

Russ is right. Carlos has little surplus value. Injury risk, 1 year to free agency, no guarantee of draft pick compensation, and will receive a substantial amount via arbitration.

Heh, yeah there was so much interest in Quentin at the deadline. We could have gotten a haul! We as fans really need to learn how to better evaluate our favorite team's players because Quentin wasn't caring a whole hell of a lot of value whether at the deadline or now.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 08:17 PM)
Russ is right. Carlos has little surplus value. Injury risk, 1 year to free agency, no guarantee of draft pick compensation, and will receive a substantial amount via arbitration.

As I said earlier, I'm more upset we didn't unload him at the deadline when teams were saying they were interested.