Carlos Quentin traded to Padres

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 02:30 PM)
It looks like Castro couldn't find any control at AAA last season. 21 Ks and 18 BB in 19 innings. He only had 16 walks in 90 innings at the AA level.

I know it's cliche...but you know who's pretty good at helping guys with control issues? The Chicago White Sox pitching coach.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 02:30 PM)
C'mon Milk, there wasn't anything out there for CQ really, it would be hard to "win" this trade just because you won't get a big name hot prospect for him. I'm just glad we finally aren't going to have to pay him $7 for 120 games on a losing team.

I'm just glad that those 100 pre-injury games can go to De Aza and Viciedo and we can finally start to see what those guys can do at the big league level.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
We mock the Cubs, but Sox fans might seriously have the lowest standards in baseball. I was fine with the Santos trade, but we will convince ourselves that any move was good.

Oh well, it's New Years Eve. I'm going to go have fun and forget about baseball for a while.

And people on this board despise all our players and think they all suck....but then expect multiple top 10 prospects in return for a trade. You can't do both

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 01:32 PM)
I'm just glad that those 100 pre-injury games can go to De Aza and Viciedo and we can finally start to see what those guys can do at the big league level.

Very true, I meant to hint at that in my post.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)
LF: Prado/Constanza

CF: McLouth/Schafer/Constanza

RF: Heyward

3B: Jones/Prado

SS: Gonzalez

2B: Uggla

Prado is capable of playing LF, 3B, SS, 2B (though SS is a stretch). Now where is the glaring weakness and the easiest fit? Yeah, CF. In order to take on Quentin they'd have to bench either Chipper Jones or Martin Prado. Yeah, Jones was banged up a lot last year but you can't put him on the bench. It made no sense.

The one reason why it kinda made some sense is that with Jones constantly hurt, having Quentin as another RH bat would really help their lineup. But that's not worth trading away a top flight starting pitcher, especially with Q being MR. Glass.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
Veryyyy debatable.

Wood is a very mediocre young starter, who showed almost nothing last season, I dont see him worth a whole lot, definitely not up to Molina's status.

The other two guys are mediocre prospects as well; Sappelt is probably a 4th OF and Torreyes played at Low A and is a crapshoot (especially at his size).

It's the 5'9", 140 Torreyes that they all love for god knows what reason, he's not f***ing Pedroia, there is only 1 Pedroia and his power comes from fastballs in his eyes that he has learned to turn and burn on, just because one midget found a way to develop power doesn't mean they all will. Wood is nothing more than a servicable back of the rotation starter with little to no upside. Theo's going to do a damn good job IMO and he did a nice job getting something for a player he had no use for (Marshall) but lets not kid ourselves on that trade.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 01:33 PM)
The one reason why it kinda made some sense is that with Jones constantly hurt, having Quentin as another RH bat would really help their lineup. But that's not worth trading away a top flight starting pitcher, especially with Q being MR. Glass.

And then Michael Bourn became available and that scenario was rendered moot as he was EXACTLY what they were looking for. Plugged a hole without having to bench a legend or productive player. Quentin was a reach from the get go and fell by the wayside when the market opened up.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 08:34 PM)
It's the 5'9", 140 Torreyes that they all love for god knows what reason, he's not f***ing Pedroia, there is only 1 Pedroia and his power comes from fastballs in his eyes that he has learned to turn and burn on, just because one midget found a way to develop power doesn't mean they all will. Wood is nothing more than a servicable back of the rotation starter with little to no upside. Theo's going to do a damn good job IMO and he did a good job getting something for a player he had no use for (Marshall) but lets not kid ourselves on that trade.

I'll take Wood's future over Molina as a starter

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 02:35 PM)
And then Michael Bourn became available and that scenario was rendered moot as he was EXACTLY what they were looking for. Plugged a hole without having to bench a legend or productive player. Quentin was a reach from the get go and fell by the wayside when the market opened up.

If they'd grabbed Quentin and Quentin hadn't gotten hurt, that'd probably have won them the wild card, but the "Quentin not getting hurt" part is the problem in all of this.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 01:35 PM)
So, does Castro have any chance at being a starter long-term or are these 2 hopeful bullpen additions?

Goldstein was just on the score. He views Hernandez as a fringy bullpen type. Castro still has a middle of the rotation ceiling if he can figure things out. His mechanics and repeatability are the problems.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 02:36 PM)
Nice salary dump for two pitchers. Viciedo can hit, but can he play right field well?

Maybe not 'Well", but he's played there for 1 season. He's going to be Carlos Lee out there, but at least he has the best arm in our OF to make up for some of it, and he also has a lot of room to get better.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 02:37 PM)
Goldstein was just on the score. He views Hernandez as a fringy bullpen type. Castro still has a middle of the rotation ceiling if he can figure things out. His mechanics and repeatability are the problems.

Ok, as long as he has the pitches to be a candidate for starting, I'll be content.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 01:37 PM)

Coop will definitely fix him. :headbang