Carlos Quentin traded to Padres

LittleHurt05

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 02:23 PM)
IMO, Viciedo is more valuable to the Sox than he is on the trade market.

And wouldn't our strongest selling point to Cespedes be the strong Cuban presence currently in our starting lineup? I'm fairly certain that's our only selling point.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 09:25 PM)
And wouldn't our strongest selling point to Cespedes be the strong Cuban presence currently in our starting lineup? I'm fairly certain that's our only strong selling point.

Agreed, but that also is probably why the Marlins are in the driver's seat for him (Cuban presence in the community)

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 02:25 PM)
And wouldn't our strongest selling point to Cespedes be the strong Cuban presence currently in our starting lineup? I'm fairly certain that's our only strong selling point.

It depends. I'd imagine he knows the Sox Cuban players. There's always a chance he doesn't like them.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 02:24 PM)
He was going regardless. Viciedo is playing RF and KW wasn't going to pay Quentin if he was healthy.

If Quentin stayed healthy, he might have been able to keep putting numbers closer to 2008. KW would have paid him for 140-150+ games of that type of production.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)
Well, if he doesn't like them then we don't have a shot in hell.

People do a lot crazier things than work with people they don't like in exchange for more money than others are willing to pay. I don't know what this guy is thinking, maybe he thinks of Alexei like a brother, but I don't think having Cubans on the roster or a large Cuban community gets him signed unless you are at the top or very close to the top bid.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 09:31 PM)
People do a lot crazier things than work with people they don't like in exchange for more money than others are willing to pay.

Yeah, do you think everyone on Ohio State's football team really likes each other? Just kidding rock

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 02:31 PM)
People do a lot crazier things than work with people they don't like in exchange for more money than others are willing to pay. I don't know what this guy is thinking, maybe he thinks of Alexei like a brother, but I don't think having Cubans on the roster or a large Cuban community gets him signed unless you are at the top or very close to the top bid.

Well, no s***. I'm looking at factors outside of money. You have to assume the top offers will be fairly close unless someone makes a ridiculous bid then he goes there, so there's really no point in discussing any of this unless we're going to explore factors outside of money.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)
Well, no s***. I'm looking at factors outside of money.

I'm saying money is the most important, all that other stuff is way down on the list, but if he does sign with the Marlins he will point out the large Cuban community, the latin manager.......its just lip service.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 02:36 PM)
I don't see this team returning to the playoffs while KW is still GM. He's NOT the GM to rebuild this roster.

If Viciedo gives you what Quentin has given you, and De Aza can play everyday, it won't hurt the Sox winning percentage in 2012. Even if he gets $7 million to $8 million for 2012 and isn't signed beyond that, its seems hard for me to believe you can't get at least one top 10 prospect from somebody.

Trading Quentin I can understand, I just don't like the haul.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 03:44 PM)
My dad just slammed Castro and Hernandez because "KW traded for them, so they suck"

He's a little angry over Buehrle.

Your dad must post on MLBTR. Almost every time the Sox make a move, a hoard of Cubs fans and KW haters flood the comment section and tell everyone how awful KW is and how "xxxx" is a terrible player.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)
Just like it did when the Marlins signed Wilson and Pujols?

A little different situation. Chances are if Wilson and Pujols both had bank accounts that resembled the Cuban's current one, they are Marlins right now. Wilson was going home and Pujols wanted a no trade.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 03:43 PM)
If Viciedo gives you what Quentin has given you, and De Aza can play everyday, it won't hurt the Sox winning percentage in 2012. Even if he gets $7 million to $8 million for 2012 and isn't signed beyond that, its seems hard for me to believe you can't get at least one top 10 prospect from somebody.

Trading Quentin I can understand, I just don't like the haul.

If you look at the fangraphs world, last year he was worth about $12 million, so the surplus value if he repeated his 2011 season would be about $4 million. However, the 2 previous seasons, he was a negative value player, with his weak/injury riddle offense not offsetting his bad defense.

Over the last 3 seasons, Carlos has averaged a $3.5 million player value, and he's getting paid $7-8 million. He had that 1 season, 2008, wehre he put up a $20 million value, but that was 4 seasons ago now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 31, 2011 -> 02:48 PM)
If you look at the fangraphs world, last year he was worth about $12 million, so the surplus value if he repeated his 2011 season would be about $4 million. However, the 2 previous seasons, he was a negative value player, with his weak/injury riddle offense not offsetting his bad defense.

Over the last 3 seasons, Carlos has averaged a $3.5 million player value, and he's getting paid $7-8 million. He had that 1 season, 2008, wehre he put up a $20 million value, but that was 4 seasons ago now.

So he was worth $12 million last year, that's not bad, although fangraphs "worth" I have never taken too seriously. I think the only reason KW settled for this return is Viciedo. If he wasn't in the organization, KW would have held out for more or just kept Quentin.