Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 08:23 AM)
I can't sleep. Saturday night I got real drunk and slept til about 2 PM on Sunday. That being said, I've been laying in bed since 2 AM and cannot sleep. I've got my alarm set for noon. I have to be up by 6:30 AM on Tuesday because I have a doctor's appointment. This sucks.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 08:44 AM)
I'd hate the thought of my cats going out like that. :(

Hopefully no offense is taken...but my morning brain decided these 2 posts were connected.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)

I love industry. Doritos are processed food, pressed and fried versions of tortillas that are then coated with artificial cheese-like substances. Hey, I've got a great idea...what if we took these bastardized versions of tortillas and made tortillas out of them!

Yes I know, it'll probalby taste pretty good.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 06:58 PM)
The 3 most difficult things in life:

1. Sleeping

2. Putting a Taco Bell lid on the cup

3. Tying a tie

I agree with all of this and must add that being a Saluki fan has to be top 5.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 09:13 PM)
It is legitimately pathetic how much trouble I have trying to tie a tie. I have to wear one everyday to work now and struggle monster.

I've watched every video on youtube on how to tie a tie and have put in hours of practice and really just can't seem to get it just right. It's pretty sad that I go over to my parents house before job interviews and weddings to have my dad tie it for me. One of these days it will click I'm sure.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 09:22 PM)
I've watched every video on youtube on how to tie a tie and have put in hours of practice and really just can't seem to get it just right. It's pretty sad that I go over to my parents house before job interviews and weddings to have my dad tie it for me. One of these days it will click I'm sure.

Haha everything you said here pertains to me as well. When I was in Carbondale I had my roomate tie it for me and back here I've had my dad do it, which was fine when I didn't have to wear one often, now I have to learn but as you said I just can't get it right. It's very sad.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 09:27 PM)
Haha everything you said here pertains to me as well. When I was in Carbondale I had my roomate tie it for me and back here I've had my dad do it, which was fine when I didn't have to wear one often, now I have to learn but as you said I just can't get it right. It's very sad.

I'm sure if I had to wear one every day I'd just have to accept my not quite right ties.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 09:13 PM)
It is legitimately pathetic how much trouble I have trying to tie a tie. I have to wear one everyday to work now and struggle monster.

I wear a tie like 3 times a year and have no problems. Need help tieing your shoes as well or do you just go velcro?

Fantastic article. I still quote a couple lines from that episode in my day to day. Whether its a...."Mattingly, cut those sideburns", or a "Daryylllll, Darryyyyl.....". Truly a tremendous episode and one of the best shows ever written. I know it isn't what it once was, but man, there were a heck of a lot of classicly awesome and whitty Simpson episodes.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 09:22 PM)

Not certain if this thought will help but for almost any regular knot, windsor, four in hand, half windsor, etc the short end stays and the long end wraps around it.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 09:27 PM)

Don't worry. I can't either...I just leave my ties tied until I need to get them cleaned.

My PA showed me once, but I promptly forgot. Then again, I couldn't tie my shoes until I was 9.

All of this discussion got me wondering what knots people use.

For a spread collar I stick to the full windsor or the Persian, four-in-hand for casual days, and the Simple Double for narrow ties. Related, just wore a bow tie to work the other day for the hell of it. Took me a few minutes to remember how to tie it but I got a few entertaining discussions in an otherwise boring office environment.

What knots do you guys use most?

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 05:30 PM)
All of this discussion got me wondering what knots people use.

For a spread collar I stick to the full windsor or the Persian, four-in-hand for casual days, and the Simple Double for narrow ties. Related, just wore a bow tie to work the other day for the hell of it. Took me a few minutes to remember how to tie it but I got a few entertaining discussions in an otherwise boring office environment.

What knots do you guys use most?

I am almost exclusively full-windsor. I can vary the size of the knot depending on the collar or shirt, sometimes nice and tight for a snug, smaller triangular shape, other times bigger and wider.