Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 28, 2012 -> 06:02 PM)
Haha, that was great...I have taken the Great Dane and my friend's Weimaraner from Vegas to the Oregon Coast and back, and he did quite well, so I am hoping the substitution of my mixed breed for the Weimaraner won't change things too drastically.

Needless to say, I am expecting a stressful journey.

As of right now, I am debating between buying a cargo basket such as the Yakima Load Warrior and losing a few mpg's or smashing everything in the car. Tough decision.

Made the trip from Las Vegas to Chicago in 26 hours on Thursday/Friday. Drove straight through, as the dogs were behaving very well and I was wired from coffee and the desire to get home for the first time in more than a year. Went 1750 miles, stopping 5 or 6 times for gas, and at a few rest stops for the dogs. Hit snow in Utah, Colorado, Nebraska, and Iowa, but thankfully avoided all the tornado weather. Drove with a Yakima Load Warrior cargo basket on the roof that was surprisingly quiet but probably impacted my gas mileage quite a bit.

Not looking forward to the trek back, but happy to be in the Chi for a couple weeks!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 11:31 AM)
Dropped my iPod in the sink today. Let's all say a lttle prayer.

leave it off and stick it on a fan for a day. Or, put it in cup surrounded by rice to absorb the moisture.

You can save it!

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 11:37 AM)
leave it off and stick it on a fan for a day. Or, put it in cup surrounded by rice to absorb the moisture.

You can save it!

On a fan? Like on top of a box fan, you mean? Never heard that one.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 11:39 AM)
Thanks. I put it in rice. The Chinese built it, and now they will fix it. Gotta love it.

:lol:

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 11:43 AM)
I ran my original iPhone through the wash and it worked the next day just by drying it out :)

Wow.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 01:52 PM)
On a fan? Like on top of a box fan, you mean? Never heard that one.

Yeah, I did it once with my ipod and I left it on my box fan(the fan was on its side) so the air would blow through and get the moisture out or evaporate it. It worked pretty well. Also put my phone on a heat vent in the winter when it was dropped in the sink.

Yank the battery out and then put it all in a bag of rice. Running a sea base for boy scouts I have tried every method and that is the most reliable. Taking the battery out is something some people skip, but you don't want any current anywhere near the phone.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 12:06 AM)
I have. It was pretty darn good. Probably not surprising, the time I went, Vince Vaughn was there. Did you like it?

Yes, it was very good...Unfortunately, we were still a bit full from eating earlier at the Pump Room, so we didn't get to enjoy it as much as we would have liked, but still very excellent. And fairly priced I thought.

Hot Doug's for lunch today.

My daughter lost her phone in our backyard in the middle of winter one year. We didn't find it until the snow melted. We took the battery out and left it on the counter to dry out for a day or so. Didn't use rice or anything. It works perfectly now.

Edited by Iwritecode

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/03/08/...intcmp=trending

inscription of new king Egypt.jpg

The inscription on a newly uncovered limestone doorpost has led archaeologists to add a new name to the roster of ancient Egypt's pharaohs: Senakht-en-Re. (CNRS)

unearthing new egyptian king.jpg

Unearthing the door jamb; the inscription can be seen on the top of the limestone block. (CNRS)

Next Slide Previous Slide

A new king has been added to the long list of ancient pharaohs, the Egyptian Minister of State for Antiquities, Mohamed Ibrahim, announced this week.

The king's name, Senakht-en-Re, emerged from the engraved remains of a limestone door found by a French-Egyptian team‭ ‬in the Temple of Karnak complex on Luxor’s east bank.

The archaeologists, led by French Egyptologist Christophe Thiers, of the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS), unearthed a fragmented lintel and an imposing door jamb during routine excavation at the temple of Ptah.

Belonging to an administrative structure dating to the enigmatic 17th Dynasty (about 1634-1543 BC) the limestone remains featured hieroglyphics which indicated that the door was dedicated to Amun-Re.‭

"They also revealed who ordered the construction of this structure. It was the pharaoh Senakht-en-Re," said a CNRS statement.

ANALYSIS: Ancient Egyptian Town Found Using Radar

Mentioned in only three documents written one or two centuries after his reign, ‬Senakht-en-Re is regarded as one of the most obscure kings of the 17th dynasty.

No objects or monuments had ever been found bearing his name, and his tomb has yet to be discovered.

"We knew nothing‭ of this pharaoh - ‬until now. These remains are the first contemporary document of this king ever discovered in Egypt," the CNRS said.

According to the hieroglyphics, Senakht-en-Re had the monumental gateway built from limestone blocks transported from Tora (the modern Helwan, south of Cairo).

At that time, the town was under the rule of the Hyksos. Known as the "rulers of foreign countries" (probably of Asiatic roots), they infiltrated Egypt and came to dominate the Nile valley for over a century during the Second Intermediate Period (1664-1569 B.C.).

ANALYSIS: Ancient Letter to Pharaoh Found

They were expelled from Egypt by Kamose, the last king of the 17th dynasty and his brother Amhose, the first king of the 18th dynasty.

According to the Minister of State for Antiquities, the finding is "a groundbreaking discovery" for the history of the 17th dynasty. Indeed, the succession of kings of this dynasty and the lenght of their rule remain uncertain.

Ibrahim told the Egyptian daily Ahram Online that the excavation will continue.

"The Temple of Karnak, which has not yet been fully excavated, no doubt still contains many secrets," he said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/03/08/...g#ixzz1oY6UDHW4

Had lunch at Frontera Grill today...the mole sauce alone made it the best mexican meal I have ever had.

Dinner was at The Publican...meal was very good...interesting place...about halfway through our meal Mario Batali strolled in with some friends for cocktails. That was pretty neat.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 8, 2012 -> 10:58 PM)
Had lunch at Frontera Grill today...the mole sauce alone made it the best mexican meal I have ever had.

Dinner was at The Publican...meal was very good...interesting place...about halfway through our meal Mario Batali strolled in with some friends for cocktails. That was pretty neat.

If they ever do a live action Simpson's movie, Mario Batali had better land the role of Comic Book Guy or I will be very disappointed.