Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 02:02 PM)
We have any mechanics on board?? Heres a question I posted on yahoo answers.

Why is my car so loud?

Hey, I've got a 97 Saturn SL that sounds like a muscle car. It has a loud rumble that gets worse when I hit the A/C (at least for the moment I flip it on, can't tell if the constant rumble is louder). The muffler was replaced, and its gotten 2 oil changes since the loud rumbling has began so that should eliminate those responses. I'm thinking maybe the A/C compressor or Cat Convertor? I'm really not sure, what can you tell me?

Anyone here on board got any ideas?

Exhaust pipe?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 08:02 PM)
We have any mechanics on board?? Heres a question I posted on yahoo answers.

Why is my car so loud?

Hey, I've got a 97 Saturn SL that sounds like a muscle car. It has a loud rumble that gets worse when I hit the A/C (at least for the moment I flip it on, can't tell if the constant rumble is louder). The muffler was replaced, and its gotten 2 oil changes since the loud rumbling has began so that should eliminate those responses. I'm thinking maybe the A/C compressor or Cat Convertor? I'm really not sure, what can you tell me?

Anyone here on board got any ideas?

Sounds like you need a new Johnson rod in there.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 04:32 PM)
Exhaust pipe?

That seems to be the popular answer and something I will get checked, I thank ya

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 04:39 PM)
Sounds like you need a new Johnson rod in there.

by johnson rod you mean exhaust pipe right lol

any idea how much that would cost??

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 09:25 PM)
IT was originally SLAP. When the political talk moved, the acronym changed.

Jason, Balta answered this four hours earlier. That's an hour longer than the three hour time difference, no excuse! :lolhitting

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 08:52 AM)
Tom Skilling actually talked about the chances of waterspouts today on the lake. I don't know that I have ever heard that talked about ahead of time.

And waves up to 20 feet! Damn. This could be a fun one.

My daughter's softball team played in their annual end-of-the-year tournament last weekend. On Friday a friend of ours gave her a different bat to try out. His daughter had been using it but her league was done for the season.

She usually uses a regular aluminum bat that we picked up for $30 at Wal-Mart. This was a $250 composite bat. On Saturday she managed to hit her very first homerun with it and she was ecstatic.

She's not very tall and the pitchers aren't very accurate so even getting a hit rather than a walk is exciting for her.

On Sunday they had an umpire that seemed to hold a grudge when the coach complained about a called strike on a bunt attempt where the batter very clearly brought the bat back. There seemed to be 2 different strike zones for each team after that call.

In the last inning I loudly mentioned something about an inconsistent strike zone when a pitch right down the middle of the plate was called a ball. The coach turned around and told me “It’s ok, settle down. We’ll get our calls too.”

On Monday they played for the championship. The team they faced, to put bluntly, was horrible.

In the last inning we were up by about 20 runs. In my daughter’s last AB, she watched a pitch literally bounce on the plate and it was called a strike. The second pitch was in the same spot but she swung at it. The third pitch also bounced on the plate and was called a strike.

I again loudly mentioned the strike zone starting at their knees rather than the bottom of their feet. It was literally the worst 3 strike calls I had seen all season long.

I heard the coach talking to my daughter in the dugout but all I caught was “I know they weren’t strikes and you know they weren’t strikes…” Afterward he came over and told me that he told the ump to “expand the strike zone”.

I hate to be “that guy” at my kids little league game but that seems like a pretty BS move to me. Never in my life have I heard a coach tell the umpire to call strikes on pitches that the kids have been taught all season long not to swing at. He basically took her bat right out of her hands.

If anything, he should have told her to go up and swing at anything no matter what. At least she would’ve had a chance then and not been frustrated at the umpire making horrible calls. Or am I wrong?

In the last inning we were up by about 20 runs. In my daughter’s last AB, she watched a pitch literally bounce on the plate and it was called a strike. The second pitch was in the same spot but she swung at it. The third pitch also bounced on the plate and was called a strike.

I again loudly mentioned the strike zone starting at their knees rather than the bottom of their feet. It was literally the worst 3 strike calls I had seen all season long.

I heard the coach talking to my daughter in the dugout but all I caught was “I know they weren’t strikes and you know they weren’t strikes…” Afterward he came over and told me that he told the ump to “expand the strike zone”.

I hate to be “that guy” at my kids little league game but that seems like a pretty BS move to me. Never in my life have I heard a coach tell the umpire to call strikes on pitches that the kids have been taught all season long not to swing at. He basically took her bat right out of her hands.

If anything, he should have told her to go up and swing at anything no matter what. At least she would’ve had a chance then and not been frustrated at the umpire making horrible calls. Or am I wrong?

I think it depends on the age level of the children. If these are 8-9-10 year old girls, I think expanding the strike zone like that just to get the game over with is a bad idea because these girls are still learning what a strike zone is and how to decide whether or not to swing.

If these girls are 13+, then I'm fine with it because they should be mature enough to understand that they've won the game easily and the umpire is just trying to get the game over and save the other team further embarrassment.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 09:59 AM)
My daughter's softball team played in their annual end-of-the-year tournament last weekend. On Friday a friend of ours gave her a different bat to try out. His daughter had been using it but her league was done for the season.

She usually uses a regular aluminum bat that we picked up for $30 at Wal-Mart. This was a $250 composite bat. On Saturday she managed to hit her very first homerun with it and she was ecstatic.

She's not very tall and the pitchers aren't very accurate so even getting a hit rather than a walk is exciting for her.

On Sunday they had an umpire that seemed to hold a grudge when the coach complained about a called strike on a bunt attempt where the batter very clearly brought the bat back. There seemed to be 2 different strike zones for each team after that call.

In the last inning I loudly mentioned something about an inconsistent strike zone when a pitch right down the middle of the plate was called a ball. The coach turned around and told me “It’s ok, settle down. We’ll get our calls too.”

On Monday they played for the championship. The team they faced, to put bluntly, was horrible.

I'll give you an umpire's take...in literally a 20 run game, the zone is getting bigger for both teams (and once it's at 10, you're enough in to do that). HOWEVER, something that bounces on the plate...that's not a strike anywhere. You're expanding it on all sides, everything is still hittable, and if the coach gets it (yours seemed in the same book but not on the same exact page) you're having your team swing at anything "hittable." You instruct them to treat it like a hit and run, etc, learn on hitting bad balls. Taking some swings at pitches you know aren't strikes isn't going to mess you up later, you know you are just swinging to swing if it's hittable.

That's the way to speed up what had to be a painful as hell game to watch, and isn't fun for anyone. That game just needs to end quicker than usual. If you call a normal strike zone at that point, you're clueless. But again, you're not calling something that's on the plate, or neck high, etc. You're expanding it enough to get it moving.

For example in a HS game you're calling another ball or so on the outside, and you're going further above the belt. But again, in HS, both teams (and most importantly the coaches) get it, and want it, so you never hear a word unless it's like you said, bouncing in or something silly.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 10:08 AM)
I think it depends on the age level of the children. If these are 8-9-10 year old girls, I think expanding the strike zone like that just to get the game over with is a bad idea because these girls are still learning what a strike zone is and how to decide whether or not to swing.

If these girls are 13+, then I'm fine with it because they should be mature enough to understand that they've won the game easily and the umpire is just trying to get the game over and save the other team further embarrassment.

I asked the age question for sort of the same reason.

If they are on the younger end, it does no good to run up the score, and it teaches a little bit of sportsmanship for the winning team. At whatever age it was, hopefully the coach had his bench cleared out. As long as the kids were told what was going on, I understand it.

At the older ages, the kids should already have a sense to understand all they are doing is rubbing it in at some point.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 10:08 AM)

That's the exact age group.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 10:15 AM)
I'll give you an umpire's take...in literally a 20 run game, the zone is getting bigger for both teams (and once it's at 10, you're enough in to do that). HOWEVER, something that bounces on the plate...that's not a strike anywhere. You're expanding it on all sides, everything is still hittable, and if the coach gets it (yours seemed in the same book but not on the same exact page) you're having your team swing at anything "hittable." You instruct them to treat it like a hit and run, etc, learn on hitting bad balls. Taking some swings at pitches you know aren't strikes isn't going to mess you up later, you know you are just swinging to swing if it's hittable.

That's the way to speed up what had to be a painful as hell game to watch, and isn't fun for anyone. That game just needs to end quicker than usual. If you call a normal strike zone at that point, you're clueless. But again, you're not calling something that's on the plate, or neck high, etc. You're expanding it enough to get it moving.

For example in a HS game you're calling another ball or so on the outside, and you're going further above the belt. But again, in HS, both teams (and most importantly the coaches) get it, and want it, so you never hear a word unless it's like you said, bouncing in or something silly.

I agree with everything here. Exactly what I was thinking.

http://www.ravinia.org/ParkNRide.aspx

We parked in downtown Highland Park (sorry I can't remember exactly where, it was a couple years ago). It wasn't too inconvenient and saved a lot of time getting out at the end I presume.

Edit: As long as you aren't hauling 9,000 pounds of crap, the bus ride was pretty easy. We didn't have too much excess stuff.

Edited by IlliniKrush