Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 09:14 AM)
That's only the answer if you're looking for how many times you'll get the Hit 3 times followed by a Miss (HHHM).

But it could also go MHHH, HMHH, or HHMH, so the answer is 32/6561, rather than 8/6561 like you have.

Wait a minute. The way he set it up, I think he was right -- it didn't matter when the Miss came. Only one of them has to miss, so it's a straight (1/9)*(1/9)*(1/9)*(8/9).

Granted, it's been a while since my last math class, but I think he was right.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (farmteam @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 03:29 AM)
Wait a minute. The way he set it up, I think he was right -- it didn't matter when the Miss came. Only one of them has to miss, so it's a straight (1/9)*(1/9)*(1/9)*(8/9).

Granted, it's been a while since my last math class, but I think he was right.

Let's call the nine possibilities 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. The 1 is the hit, the rest are misses. He wants to know the odds that you'll get 3 hits and a miss.

There are 32 combinations (out of the 6561 total) that fit that criteria:

1112, 1211, 1121, 2111

1113, 1311, 1131, 3111

1114, 1411, 1141, 4111

1115, 1511, 1151, 5111

1116, 1611, 1161, 6111

1117, 1711, 1171, 7111

1118, 1811, 1181, 8111

1119, 1911, 1191, 9111

So, I hate flying. I refuse to. My sister just announced her husband is going to be stationed in Italy for 4 years and my entire family wants to go visit her in 2014. So, yea.. this presents a problem for me.

I don't mind the actual flying, but I hate airports and airlines. It's very inconvenient and time-consuming to get anywhere unless you live near a major airport that has non-stop flights to a lot of places.

When I lived in Michigan, I had a girlfriend who was from Augusta, GA. When she went home for Christmas, her flight was Lansing-Cincinnati-Atlanta-Augusta, including a couple long layovers. I dropped her off at the Lansing airport, and I could have driven to Augusta and picked her up when her flight arrived.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 07:40 AM)
I don't mind the actual flying, but I hate airports and airlines. It's very inconvenient and time-consuming to get anywhere unless you live near a major airport that has non-stop flights to a lot of places.

People in and around Chicago are spoiled by having two major, central airport in the area.

When I lived in Michigan, I had a girlfriend who was from Augusta, GA. When she went home for Christmas, her flight was Lansing-Cincinnati-Atlanta-Augusta, including a couple long layovers. I dropped her off at the Lansing airport, and I could have driven to Augusta and picked her up when her flight arrived.

I've had to go to Augusta a few times. I always elected to fly to either Atlanta or Charleston and drive the 3.5 hours instead of multi-leg flights.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 08:18 AM)
People in and around Chicago are spoiled by having two major, central airport in the area.

I've had to go to Augusta a few times. I always elected to fly to either Atlanta or Charleston and drive the 3.5 hours instead of multi-leg flights.

I refuse to fly anything that is within 5-6 hours drive. By the time I get to an airport, go through security, wait for the plane, etc, etc, it is the same amount of time to drive, and way less headaches. I don't mind the actual flying at all, honestly it is just like a longer train ride for me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 09:26 AM)
I refuse to fly anything that is within 5-6 hours drive. By the time I get to an airport, go through security, wait for the plane, etc, etc, it is the same amount of time to drive, and way less headaches. I don't mind the actual flying at all, honestly it is just like a longer train ride for me.

Haha yeah I know right. I had to go from Fort Worth to Wichita this summer and I wanted to just drive but my company just put me on a plane and the route sent us through Denver and took just as long if not longer.

One thing you may not realize if you've lived in the Chicago area your entire life:

Chicago airports are great for flying in/out of as an end destination. Pretty easy check-in, getting through security, claiming bags, and getting transportation.

Chicago airports are TERRIBLE as airports where you have to catch connecting flights, especially O'Hare. Try getting from C32 to F12 in less than 20 minutes.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 08:30 AM)
Haha yeah I know right. I had to go from Fort Worth to Wichita this summer and I wanted to just drive but my company just put me on a plane and the route sent us through Denver and took just as long if not longer.

I'm really glad I get to book my own travel for work.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 08:18 AM)

I have always lived within like 15 minutes of O'Hare. I have definitely been spoiled that I can fly almost anywhere non-stop without even having a commute to the airport.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 08:32 AM)
One thing you may not realize if you've lived in the Chicago area your entire life:

Chicago airports are great for flying in/out of as an end destination. Pretty easy check-in, getting through security, claiming bags, and getting transportation.

Chicago airports are TERRIBLE as airports where you have to catch connecting flights, especially O'Hare. Try getting from C32 to F12 in less than 20 minutes.

Absolutely. I always hear out-of-towners complain about O'Hare, but it's always treated me well. Except for the downstairs pick-up, it's usually mayhem down there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 08:26 AM)
I refuse to fly anything that is within 5-6 hours drive. By the time I get to an airport, go through security, wait for the plane, etc, etc, it is the same amount of time to drive, and way less headaches.

My wife and i have this argument about trains. She really wants the commuter rail line between Chicago and Iowa City to be built. I keep telling her it would take just as long... and possibly longer to get to her family near Iowa City by train... oh, and we wont have a car when we get there.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 13, 2012 -> 08:43 AM)

The actual answer to this puzzle is Independence, Missouri. Anybody want to guess what a contestant answered?

I saw it. Indianapolis was the lady on the lefts answer

As some of you know I'm a security guard and the s*** just didnt add up to me. He/she opened a dresser where there was money and there was a laptop 20 feet from the room they were for sure in yet neither were taken...

Heres the story I told a friend on facebook of what happened.

I was woke up from my dog barkin at the front door..my sister saw a black guy walking down the steps when she got up but he left...I went to the bathroom and my dog went ape s*** again so I walked outside and was lookin around...my sister runs out of the house sayin "Aaron HOUSE HOUSE HOUSE" so I grab a pole outside and go back to her and she said someones in the house...I go back in and the side door is open, screen door glass broken and my moms lights are on and her dresser is open but they were gone......weird s*** because there was money in the dresser they opened and a laptop 20 feet from my moms room but neither stolen...I think he was scared of the dog and dipped....I had metal pole if that mother f***er was still in the house

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 01:27 PM)
Sounds like got interrupted before he could do anything.

Ya my sister said the dog was barking at the side door where he came in so he must have been spooked by him or by my sister yelling for me.

Crazy s***, the cops said it was the 2nd time this morning it happened in the neighborhood.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 11:34 AM)
Ya my sister said the dog was barking at the side door where he came in so he must have been spooked by him or by my sister yelling for me.

Crazy s***, the cops said it was the 2nd time this morning it happened in the neighborhood.

Probably safe to assume it was the same dude