Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 01:56 PM)
Probably safe to assume it was the same dude

Ya, crazy stuff. I knew this neighborhood got a bad rap but the 5 years Ive lived here nothing has happened, well now I know why.

For those wondering, I live in Hammond right off the State line going into Calumet City. A block from St. Margrets Hospital.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ May 25, 2012 -> 05:07 PM)
Was reading Yahoo! Sports front page a little bit ago and noticed a familiar face... Myself.

Is it legal to do a story, use my facebook picture, then run it on a huge website? Jeez lol

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-p...Y3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

Classy. I would just have said :lookatme

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 06:28 PM)
Pay your bills on time? :lol:

I do! It's hard being a recent college grad with a ton of student loans. I just opened up my first credit card. I plan on using it for gas and immediately paying it off in full.

Does completing a transaction with credit while using a debit card do anything?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 05:09 PM)
What are the best ways to improve your credit score?

Pay bills on time

Lower your debt to credit ratio

Don't cancel any current cards (need credit history)

Don't open too many new cards at once

Check your credit history to make sure there aren't any errors

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Nov 18, 2012 -> 11:20 PM)
I do! It's hard being a recent college grad with a ton of student loans. I just opened up my first credit card. I plan on using it for gas and immediately paying it off in full.

Does completing a transaction with credit while using a debit card do anything?

Debit cards don't do anything for your credit history. It has to be something with a revolving credit line that gets reported back to the credit companies on a monthly basis. As you get things like car loans and mortgages, those will also be positives for your credit score. Paying your college loans on time will also give you a history.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 12:31 AM)
Attended a childbirth class with the wife this weekend. I have never been happier about being a man, wow.

Had the exact same experience on Friday. Ante-natal class all about labour, etc. Jaysus!!!

Thankfully yer one giving the classes is funny as feck!

I take it this is your first child as well?

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 01:05 PM)
Had the exact same experience on Friday. Ante-natal class all about labour, etc. Jaysus!!!

Thankfully yer one giving the classes is funny as feck!

I take it this is your first child as well?

Correct, first child due January 1. Hopefully earlier than that because I can use the tax break!

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 02:54 PM)
You could always have her induced on December 30.

From what I know, I don't think it's that simple. The doctors need a valid medical reason to induce labor, not just "Hey Doc, I need some $$$ from Uncle Sam, let's push this baby out". Otherwise, every woman would be induced weeks early because they are sick of being pregnant.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)
From what I know, I don't think it's that simple. The doctors need a valid medical reason to induce labor, not just "Hey Doc, I need some $$$ from Uncle Sam, let's push this baby out". Otherwise, every woman would be induced weeks early because they are sick of being pregnant.

Depends on the Dr. Our kid was due Jan 5, and we induced for pretty much tax reasons, with a mix of wanting to do it over Christmas Break.

There's a big difference between getting induced 2 days before the due date and 20 days before the due date.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 08:46 PM)
Correct, first child due January 1. Hopefully earlier than that because I can use the tax break!

Our first is due the end of January. A little girl Celtic/Sox/Dublin fan on the way :) Wonder when her first trip to Glasgow will be? ;-)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 03:15 PM)
Depends on the Dr. Our kid was due Jan 5, and we induced for pretty much tax reasons, with a mix of wanting to do it over Christmas Break.

For our first kid she was induced on Tuesday morning and wasn't actually born until 38 hours later on Wednesday night after an emergency c-section. She was a few days past due by that point though.

Second kid we knew was going to be another c-section so we basically got to pick the date. She was due late December but my wife wanted her before Christmas so we had her Dec 22. I tried to get her to wait until January so she wouldn't have a b-day and Christmas so close together, but the tax benefits were nice.

Big News From Mars? Rover Scientists Mum For Now

They have some exciting new results from one of the rover's instruments. On the one hand, they'd like to tell everybody what they found, but on the other, they have to wait because they want to make sure their results are not just some fluke or error in their instrument.

It's a bind scientists frequently find themselves in, because by their nature, scientists like to share their results. At the same time, they're cautious because no one likes to make a big announcement and then have to say "never mind."

The exciting results are coming from an instrument in the rover called SAM. "We're getting data from SAM as we sit here and speak, and the data looks really interesting," John Grotzinger, the principal investigator for the rover mission, says during my visit last week to his office at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. That's where data from SAM first arrive on Earth. "The science team is busily chewing away on it as it comes down," says Grotzinger.

SAM is a kind of miniature chemistry lab. Put a sample of Martian soil or rock or even air inside SAM, and it will tell you what the sample is made of.

Grotzinger says they recently put a soil sample in SAM, and the analysis shows something earthshaking. "This data is gonna be one for the history books. It's looking really good," he says.