Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

So, does anyone know if mood stabilizers can just like...eliminate moods all together?

My seizure medication is also a mood stabilizer and ever since it went into full effect I've felt like a large part of me has been missing. I've always been a very passionate and emotional person, yet it seems gone. I mean I asked out a friend two weeks ago and when she turned me down I quite literally felt nothing, whereas in the past I'd be upset for a while. Or I'm just not stressed out at all about all my tests, papers, and projects being due soon...which sounds good until the fact that I work best under stress. Hell, I went and looked at my poetry and I've written 3 poems since July, when I use to turn out two a month...and those past three were written without emotion.

I dunno. It's just really, really weird.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 06:18 AM)
So, does anyone know if mood stabilizers can just like...eliminate moods all together?

My seizure medication is also a mood stabilizer and ever since it went into full effect I've felt like a large part of me has been missing. I've always been a very passionate and emotional person, yet it seems gone. I mean I asked out a friend two weeks ago and when she turned me down I quite literally felt nothing, whereas in the past I'd be upset for a while. Or I'm just not stressed out at all about all my tests, papers, and projects being due soon...which sounds good until the fact that I work best under stress. Hell, I went and looked at my poetry and I've written 3 poems since July, when I use to turn out two a month...and those past three were written without emotion.

What's the medicine? Topamax turned my girlfriend into a depressed zombie.

I know the feeling about being emotionless. That's how I am on antidepressants. Of course I was even less passionate before them.

Perhaps talk to your doctor about trying a different medication? Though, I'm sure with all the troubles you had with seizures, you'd be reluctant to give up on this one if it's helped with them.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 08:09 AM)
What's the medicine? Topamax turned my girlfriend into a depressed zombie.

Lamictal.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 09:10 AM)
I know the feeling about being emotionless. That's how I am on antidepressants. Of course I was even less passionate before them.

It's so damn weird. Like I know what emotions I WANT to feel, I just don't.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 12:44 PM)
Perhaps talk to your doctor about trying a different medication? Though, I'm sure with all the troubles you had with seizures, you'd be reluctant to give up on this one if it's helped with them.

I entertained it, but it's not worth the risk.

So, I'm trying to plan something for the wife's upcoming birthday/our anniversary in a couple weeks and i was debating dinner at Harry Caray's or Ditka's. (I'm looking at their western suburban locations)

Never been to either one....pro's and con's of either place anyone?????? Anyone??? Bueller??

QUOTE (juddling @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 02:15 PM)
So, I'm trying to plan something for the wife's upcoming birthday/our anniversary in a couple weeks and i was debating dinner at Harry Caray's or Ditka's. (I'm looking at their western suburban locations)

Never been to either one....pro's and con's of either place anyone?????? Anyone??? Bueller??

Harry Caray's at Yorktown is really nice. Sit in the bar, though.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 20, 2012 -> 12:45 PM)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 02:04 PM)
Just FWIW, we can't figure out what this might be. SAM can give some interesting data but none of us can figure out what groin-grabbingly amazing result they might have gotten out that would justify this level of hype...

Which makes me at least concerned that they're overhyping a result that won't be easily communicated to the public.

But if nothing else, I'll be in Grotz's talk on Monday the 3rd and I'll let y'all know.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 10:10 AM)
Any guesses?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 02:55 PM)
Honestly, every guess we have winds up being something that doesn't live up to the hype. SAM is capable of isolating, identifying, and doing isotopic analyses of light elements and organic molecules, but "Finding an interesting organic molecule with a unique isotopic signature" doesn't measure up to the hype of teasing this story weeks in advance.

If you're going to tease something like this 2 weeks in advance, it better be big and easily communicated publicly. Organic goop that could be produced a number of ways with depleted carbon isotopic signatures isn't that kind of story...but that's the data that SAM is capable of returning.

The capabilities of SAM can produce some really cool data, but we've been struggling to figure out how it could give anything that would justify this kind of tease story. Our best guess is that it has come up with a really unique and totally unexpected chemistry in the soil that can be produced by very few mechanisms other than biology, but even that's a stretch for the instrument being used, and the guy who runs that part of the instrument seems to have no idea what Grotz was talking about.

SMBC has about summed up this whole thing. (Seems like it was totally overblown and Grotz really needs to learn how to give a press conference.)

20121130.gif

So I was watching Mankind: The Story of All of Us, and they said that Genghis Khan raped so many women, that 1 in 200 males today is a distant relative of his.

Sure enough, someone did a study and can actually make this argument.

And we thought Wilt was dirty.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 11:19 PM)
So I was watching Mankind: The Story of All of Us, and they said that Genghis Khan raped so many women, that 1 in 200 males today is a distant relative of his.

It's good to be the king.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 11:19 PM)

If you're Mongolian, it's basically a guarantee that you're his descendant.

Didn't see a thread on this topic and didn't want to start a new one, so:

Anybody else have any friends that are really into this December 23 end of the world stuff? I have one who is, and beginning on December 1 he is posting one location per day on his Facebook page that are supposedly locations that the "chosen" people can go to be spared from whatever is going to destroy the rest of us.

The ones so far are:

12/1: 26.933N, 80.8W (middle of Lake Okeechobee)

12/2: 60.917N, 101.95E (middle of Russia, not really near anything)

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 10:11 AM)
Didn't see a thread on this topic and didn't want to start a new one, so:

Anybody else have any friends that are really into this December 23 end of the world stuff? I have one who is, and beginning on December 1 he is posting one location per day on his Facebook page that are supposedly locations that the "chosen" people can go to be spared from whatever is going to destroy the rest of us.

The ones so far are:

12/1: 26.933N, 80.8W (middle of Lake Okeechobee)

12/2: 60.917N, 101.95E (middle of Russia, not really near anything)

Wait, people really do believe this stuff? Geesh.

NASA's Voyager 1 spacecraft has discovered a new layer of the solar system

NASA's Voyager 1 spacecraft has discovered a new layer of the solar system that scientists hadn't known was there, researchers announced today (Dec. 3).

Scientists haven't been sure exactly when that exit would occur, and now say the spacecraft are likely in the outermost region of the solar system, which is defined by the extent of the heliosphere, the large bubble of charged particles the sun puffs out around itself. Voyager 1, in particular, has entered a new region of the heliosphere that scientists are calling a "magnetic highway," which allows charged particles from inside the heliosphere to flow outward, and particles from the galaxy outside to come in.

"We do believe this may be the very last layer between us and interstellar space," Edward Stone, Voyager project scientist based at the California Institute of Technology, in Pasadena, Calif., said during a teleconference with reporters. "This region was not anticipated, was not predicted."

Lost a friend and HS baseball teammate today, 22 yrs old and died from brain cancer. Kid never got a break health wise.

I'll never forget when we were playing our rivals and he broke his leg when rounding first base (terrible divot), he just fell and told the first base coach he broke his leg. Not one tear, didn't yell out, just took it.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 08:11 PM)
Lost a friend and HS baseball teammate today, 22 yrs old and died from brain cancer. Kid never got a break health wise.

I'll never forget when we were playing our rivals and he broke his leg when rounding first base (terrible divot), he just fell and told the first base coach he broke his leg. Not one tear, didn't yell out, just took it.

Sorry to hear that.